riding down from AK.

Planning to be in the Yukon August 1 and headed south. Trying to plan to make the most of trip. Searched here and found this.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ountain+biking good start.
    Was wondering if there is an app for riding in Canada not seeing that much on MTB. Was hoping I could come up with a good plan from the collective here. Planning to head down the Cassiar. Hopefully some riding on way down and Smithers Terrace zone. Not sure if it would be better to go south on 97 out of Prince George or over to 5 out of Valemount. Not sure where I am crossing back into the U.S. but not planning to go west as far as Vancouver. Probably go through Kelowna. Just discovered https://www.mountainbikingbc.ca/. Will spend time on that site. Any other resources that would be good. Looks like TrailForks covers some trails. Open to any suggestions. Poor planning led to not maximizing my skiing on the way up. Hoping to correct that on the way down. thank you
    off your knees Louie

I’m guessing you’re crossing into the Yukon on the Alaska Highway (vs the summer only Chicken/Top of the World highway border crossing to the north)

Whitehorse has a big network of mostly green and blues. The village of Carcross 45min drive south of Whitehorse has a small but fun network of trails worth visiting and is kinda on your way heading south.

Trailforks should have all the trails from these two areas on it. Boreale bike ranch (partway between Whitehorse and Carcross) is a good place to stay and can provide guides/shuttles. Terra Riders is another outfit of guides/shuttles in Whitehorse.

If Vancouver is your crossing destination into US you’re adding a decent amount of driving to go from Prince George east to Valemont and then backtracking down to Kamloops.

If you google “pinkbike spell of the Yukon” you’ll see a great photo essay to spark your interest (and there is a followup Yukon photo essay on pinkbike after that one). LeeLau has some trip reports posted up as well.

Thanks that is what I was looking for. Not planning to cross in Vancouver maybe eastern washington or Idaho. Not sure what is available off 97 or 5 out of Valemount. Have not driven either road so was wonderinf about the riding in those areas to make a decision. Yes I will be coming from Haines.
    off your knees Louie

Lee might weigh in about your riding options from Smithers right down to Rossland. So many options.

I’d guess there isn’t much for riding between Carcross and the southern end of the Stewart Cassiar. But once you hit highway 16 just about every BC town is gonna have a network. Burns Lake, Williams Lake, Nelson, Rossland…and many more. Xxx can weigh in on Smithers and area.

You probably can’t lose - you’ll just win in different places depending on your route and stops.

Did that a few years back - here is what Lee mentioned then, served me well.

Whitehorse

Then Smithers, Burns Lake, Terrace, PR.

See Pinkbike articles for all.

Then over to Quesnel, Williams Lake - contact Red Shreds at Williams Lake for that

Then down to Revy - PB article

New Denver - NSMB article

Skip Nelson. Do Rossland instead. NSMB article on 7 summits

I'll be in Whitehorse Aug 1 (Haines prior), but flying in and biking the canol road

edit: there are some trails around Atlin now - I think they are on trailforks, they put in "the dream" trail on Grey Mountain in Whitehorse, we rode it just after it was cut in (pre-covid) was fun, likely better now. Possibly some variants that drop off the sides now?

I'm not sure if any official variants that drop off the dream exist yet other than Gnar Wall which is short and not off the true ridge top (but is still fun)

Atlin has a nice view from town and has some trails but if visiting there means skipping a BC town I'd lean towards focusing on a mature network in BC.

Nelson (and Kaslo) are just fun places to visit IMHO - and have good bike trails. But yeah 7 summits in Rossland is a gem of a day. You can do both!

If you hit Smithers give me a shout. I can prob pass you on to some good folks in Burns Lake as well. Trailforks works well here. Very little is “hidden” and it gets updated somewhat consistently. Your issue maybe how long do you have. Could easily spend a day or two in Terrace, drive 2 hours ride for 2 to 3 days in Smithers, drive an hour and a half ride 3 days in BL- rinse and repeat all the way down.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Sounds rad, have a good ride.

PM me if you want in depth beta on Whitehorse and Carcross networks. Also have good beta on the Revelstoke to Rossland corridor which is heavenly. Can connect you with good people in Kaslo which is a charming little town with a brew pub and steep well built bike trails that end in town.

And as mentioned above Revy - they have some alpine rides that are out of this world - with somewhat controversial helicopter shuttle options. Golden and Fernie also worth visiting.

Shit you could spend all summer going from Haines to Spokane and you’d still not see all the good stuff BC has for riding.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    Thanks that is what I was looking for. Not planning to cross in Vancouver maybe eastern washington or Idaho. Not sure what is available off 97 or 5 out of Valemount. Have not driven either road so was wonderinf about the riding in those areas to make a decision. Yes I will be coming from Haines.
    I rode valemont in 2019 they had some great trails and a good brewery, good free camping down along the side of the lake, not sure whats further down 5 to kamloops,

there should be lift riding at sun peaks,

lots of biking in PG,

lots in Williams lk,

not sure about quesnel.

Good biking and a good free campsite right in the area at burns lake

the BC gov has thrown a little money at mtn biking to develoo so its happening all over the province
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

met with a friend last night. He talked up Valemount highly. will probably go south there. Also it is always awesome to get a view of Robson.
    off your knees Louie