1990's Appreciation - perhaps the last "great" decade

Nobody had cell phones, and nobody had digital cameras. The odd time you'd see a developed photo someone took of you somewhere, and it was so cool thinking back to that event which would have likely been 6 months ago. Having to meet up with friends at a predetermined location and time, people were late sometimes, so you'd end up hanging with others doing the same shit. Things seemed to move quickly back then but in hindsight were still quite slow. The internet comes out, and it was such a cool, wild-west kind of place, with all the chat rooms and weird websites and personal pages and stuff. Think like your favourite ski resort before Vail came along and wrecked it.

And the cars - the 90's had power windows, mirrors, fancy new ABS brakes, airbags, and if you ever got in one with a car phone and 6-CD changer in the trunk you knew you were riding with someone important.

The 1990's fucking rocked. Seinfeld, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and the greatest Hip Hop era of all. Get on an airplane easily, and they'd even toss you a (sometimes shitty) meal. Chicks wearing bellbottoms and tight shirts, Jurassic Park blew our minds, Sharon Stone showed us her pussy, and things were just generally less crowded. Mortal Kombat changed video games forever.

If I had a time machine I'd go back.

Back then, they made actual music videos:

My dad HATED this shizznit!

Remember Windows 95? Man this was exciting for a computer nerd like me. Windows 98 was even better. Do kids from today even know what that picture is on the "Save" icon?
    Name:  image-20150820-7228-owkbas.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  110.0 KB

Many hours spent in these. Sometimes it could take a few visits before your desired selection was "in."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zw.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	923.6 KB 
ID:	416122

What else do you guys miss about the 90's?

Less duplicate posts!

My 20-something knees...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Ironically, I think keeping in touch with people was easier before social media, because everyone knew how easy it was to lose touch with people.

Now theres this illusion that you're in touch, without actually keeping in touch, but also, people don't keep track of phone numbers and addresses of friends, and who knows where whos at etc, because they're all on social media. Then when folks get sick of Zuckerburg's bullshit and delete their facebook, poof, they're gone like Kaiser Soze, and while their mental health improves, a month or two goes by and they realize they've got no way to get back in touch with people they actually care about. Ehh, I'll probably run into them someday, or someone that I remember knows them, but maybe you just don't.

Adress books and forwarding addresses and the awareness you could lose touch with someone forever made it easier.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

The decade was greater when there was only one thread devoted to its greatness.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Referencing a last great decade is something a boomer would do.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    Nobody had cell phones, and nobody had digital cameras. The odd time you'd see a developed photo someone took of you somewhere, and it was so cool thinking back to that event which would have likely been 6 months ago. Having to meet up with friends at a predetermined location and time, people were late sometimes, so you'd end up hanging with others doing the same shit. Things seemed to move quickly back then but in hindsight were still quite slow. The internet comes out, and it was such a cool, wild-west kind of place, with all the chat rooms and weird websites and personal pages and stuff. Think like your favourite ski resort before Vail came along and wrecked it.

And the cars - the 90's had power windows, mirrors, fancy new ABS brakes, airbags, and if you ever got in one with a car phone and 6-CD changer in the trunk you knew you were riding with someone important.

The 1990's fucking rocked. Seinfeld, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and the greatest Hip Hop era of all. Get on an airplane easily, and they'd even toss you a (sometimes shitty) meal. Chicks wearing bellbottoms and tight shirts, Jurassic Park blew our minds, Sharon Stone showed us her pussy, and things were just generally less crowded. Mortal Kombat changed video games forever.

If I had a time machine I'd go back.

Back then, they made actual music videos:

My dad HATED this shizznit!

Remember Windows 95? Man this was exciting for a computer nerd like me. Windows 98 was even better. Do kids from today even know what that picture is on the "Save" icon?
    Name:  image-20150820-7228-owkbas.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  110.0 KB

Many hours spent in these. Sometimes it could take a few visits before your desired selection was "in."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zw.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	923.6 KB 
ID:	416122

I wonder if the box fan can merge threads. Excellent post.

I can’t see a video rental store without thinking of Randall.

I still call it The Jake.

It still fawking dumped in Utah and Tahoe.

Shape skis came out

A goretex jacket didnt cost 600 bucks

Weed was harder to get, at least the chronic

1990's Appreciation - perhaps the last "great" decade

Buying dirt week at the mall arcade then smoking it out of a pop can in the parking garage before mobbing Cinnabon.

Fist fights and nobody got shot.

And the music…….dear god. I had headphones on 99% of my waking hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

90s bump

Trying to visit friends in other towns was a game of “tailgate me until we get there or we’re gonna get separated and you’ll be lost”

Trips to Newbury Comics to spend a large portion of my limited income on random punk/ska CDs

Scouring the globe weekend insert or the Phoenix to see who was playing the Middle East or the Rat

Smoking dirt weed

Cases of shitty cheap beer (natty ice and red dog)

Summer concerts back when it was still great woods and you could underage drink to your heart’s content in the parking lot.

Going to concerts/festivals because you actually liked the bands and not so you could post about it on instagram later.

And randomly, the thing I miss most:

Ignorance is lost, and it’s a dam shame.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Trying to visit friends in other towns was a game of “tailgate me until we get there or we’re gonna get separated and you’ll be lost”

Trips to Newbury Comics to spend a large portion of my limited income on random punk/ska CDs

Scouring the globe weekend insert or the Phoenix to see who was playing the Middle East or the Rat

Smoking dirt weed

Cases of shitty cheap beer (natty ice and red dog)

Summer concerts back when it was still great woods and you could underage drink to your heart’s content in the parking lot.

Going to concerts/festivals because you actually liked the bands and not so you could post about it on instagram later.

And randomly, the thing I miss most:

Pete Holmes.

Fucking awesome. What happened to him?