Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Ask the Idiots

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    agreed that ^^ tire is pretty much fine. Use some aqua seal eh.
    FIFY.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    FIFY.
    Now this is my kind of feedback.

Tire is fine for the rear, as long as the front is in good shape it doesn't matter what happens with the other half of the bike. It's summer in the Wasatch, you won't find traction if you put your face in the dirt and drag your teeth around...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

thread title delivers!
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Anyone ever try to buy Stumpjumper alloy frame form specialized? (Not evo)

Figure if the Status 140 Frameset is selling for $1049 and the Stumpjumper EVO Alloy Frameset is $1499, Stumpjumper alloy should fall around $900-$1100 new with shock?

Thinking the Status 140 is not the best choice for more pedal/trail, learning intermediate/beginners.

Trying to find a new 1K frame to finish up some family obligations. 120-140mm. limiting factor Is 140mm fox 34 donor fork and 29” wheels. Believe you can stuff a 29er in the ass of the Status but then again..

Anyways, 1K on a frame should get me in a nice build for around $1500 max. Figure why spend 2k for the entry Stumpjumper or the like when I can swing a better build for less.

Idiots often think there part bin is nicer then it is and neglect to evaluate how much this and that might add up to in the real word. Time is also money or just time…. haven’t started doing what need to be done on personal bike.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.

Quote Originally Posted by Meconium View Post
    Anyone ever try to buy Stumpjumper alloy frame form specialized? (Not evo)

Figure if the Status 140 Frameset is selling for $1049 and the Stumpjumper EVO Alloy Frameset is $1499, Stumpjumper alloy should fall around $900-$1100 new with shock?

Thinking the Status 140 is not the best choice for more pedal/trail, learning intermediate/beginners.

Trying to find a new 1K frame to finish up some family obligations. 120-140mm. limiting factor Is 140mm fox 34 donor fork and 29” wheels. Believe you can stuff a 29er in the ass of the Status but then again..

Anyways, 1K on a frame should get me in a nice build for around $1500 max. Figure why spend 2k for the entry Stumpjumper or the like when I can swing a better build for less.

Idiots often think there part bin is nicer then it is and neglect to evaluate how much this and that might add up to in the real word. Time is also money or just time…. haven’t started doing what need to be done on personal bike.
    I don't believe specialized offers the stumpy alloy as a frame only, so I bet you're easiest avenue will be to buy the entry level bike for $2k, swap parts onto it, and then sell the takeoffs. You won't get a ton of money for takeoffs, but I bet the cost will be more or less a wash compared to building from the frame up.

Building frames up on the cheap never works out like it should. All it takes is a BB, headset, and/or seatpost to be a different size and your budget very quickly starts to look less favorable. Not to mention building a bike up is when you inevitably remember that you kinda need new tires, the grips are worn out, and the brake pads are almost to the backing material.

Figure Magura MT4 Disc Brake $100-140 for the set. Shimano BB $25, flats $30, grips $10, dropper $120.
    If headset not included $40ish (Wild card saddle, bars)

That’s under $400 excluding the wild cards. I’d probably wing it if they sold the frame for a G.
    11-speed XT/XTR is an upgrade in my book, can’t think of any downgrade from bottom of barrel Stumpjumper. I suck at selling stuff so reusing parts and saving $500 sounds appealing,

Guess when I finish a kids build I'm in the midle of, I should pencil that out and post it to figure out if it was idiotic, probably was. Most of the part bin stuff wasn’t that kid appropriate so the “budget” trickles down to the wife build. Reminds me, I need to build up an old steel M950 retro bike and pump the dry rot tires to 35psi, hike the bitch up to the top of Mt Wire and see how that goes on the way down for old time sake.

Wonder what other companies might start pawning frames off?
    Trek Fest was a joke, Specialized must have over ordered, seams like good value from a big box company. Canyon already flushed out with a sale,
    Think YT did the same. I’m guessing Giant/Liv are overloaded by the looks in the eyes of the sails folk trying to get rid of overwhelming floor stock. Jenson will probably get a flood of frames at some point or resurrect the "Jenson build" . TPC probably has too many overpaid for used bikes to deal with to take on last year’s new old stock?

SO, does an Idiot wait for better sails or buy now while unknown inventory is available. Is the industry waiting for the late March/April rush to see what they can sell at token discount pre COVID pricing before the bottom drops out in the summer? My money is that all the Euro shops buy out OEM parts for nothing and the US is blocked from buying them online.
    So the world is filled with tubular entities. Food goes in one end and shit comes out the other. Sperm goes in and babies come out.