Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

90's appreciation thrad

Never heard G Love ever called a “rapper”.

Have you ever even listened to him? I’m not a big fan but that isn’t rap. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Live Free or Die

^ Nice.

an offering
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

AiC- Jar of Flies is an album that I slept on a bit at the time, but later became one of the greats from the 90’s. I’d say Alice In Chains in general was mid-pack for me as far as grunge bands back in the 90’s, but looking back now they are the top of the pack for sure.

I mean, holy shit:
    Last edited by zion zig zag; 05-16-2022 at 08:59 AM.

The early 90's I was still in HS and going to hard core shows in NYC and around dirty Jersey.

The Wetlands was my favorite spot to see shows. I had some great times being very young and free hanging out in NYC. I don't imagine many parents in Jersey let their kids go run around the city like that these days.

I got to see the last Pink Floyd tour at the old Yankee Stadium, 93 I think.

I got to see the Dead with Jerry 3 times. I wasn't a fan at that time but my gf was. I feel very fortunate to have seen them now. Even though I wasn't a huge fan then the day he passed sticks out as a monumental and very sad day. It's up there with 9/11 as far as memories and historical events go.

Started ski bumming in 94/95. One winter at the Big Mountain then off to Steamboat the next season. Arrived on New Years Eve in the Boat as the snow started that day and barely stopped all month for the legendary Big January where some 260-ish inches fell. I was hooked.

Disco Inferno. The bar sort of above and next to the Tugboat? I can't remember the name right now. Tubing the Yampa and Hail Bob over the Hot Springs while being ripped on shrooms. Beautiful tits shining like chrome moly under the star filled sky.

I got to Jackson fall of 98 so I had one good year before the boundaries opened and the hype train blew the place up. That was rad. January 99 was walk on trams and instant refills in RS all day long and what seems like all month long. 550 inch season that year, I became hooked again.

The Cabin and Tuesdays at the Rancher. Pizza and breakfast Mcollisters at The VC. No one ever went to the Cowboy back then! And of course, The Coach. I worked as a door man/bouncer there my first season. Bette would give me whiskey and cokes all night long while I sat by the door and flirted with pretty girls. That was it. That was my job. It's comical really. Meeting Newt and having him take me under his wing and get me stoked to push myself beyond my comfort zone. The first day we met was on the Sublette chair and we both dropped under the ropes and into Alta Zero that same day. Alta Zero was a regular warm up line for me, I loved throwing that rope over my head and rolling out on to that little face while hearing the chair riders erupt into hoots and hollers!

The 90's were rad.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Never heard G Love ever called a “rapper”.

Have you ever even listened to him? I’m not a big fan but that isn’t rap. Haha

Sorry, I should have been more specific “G Love was a prime example of 90s white musicians who appropriated Black music style and culture, similar to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Vanilla Ice. While the rolling stones and beattles had previously copied black music, at least they had musical talent and were not douchebag skidmore drop outs”
    is that more accurate for you?

A scathing takedown of G. Love was not on my radar when I started my day.
    I still call it The Jake.

90's appreciation thrad

“Cultural appropriation is cool as long as it’s done with art that I like”

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Thought he just liked cold beverages?

I read some article way back that hinted at the “rap” thing, but in the same way they called Beck rap. The article basically argued that he was Beck (before beck was beck) and just couldn’t pull it off as well. Not sure I agree, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I’d rather listen to a g love album now than a Beck album

Weather in the 90's was better too. Not like, the actual weather, but the forecasting. What it was gonna be like out this weekend was a much bigger mystery back then. Plans needed to be made and events happen no matter what. People had to make do. There was less whining about the weather. At least from what I remember.

Also a Big Mac combo was $3.99. And they had pizza. "The concorde of pizza ovens," is how the commercial described it.

Also, concordes were the coolest thing in the skies to me. But now the Unicorn man will bitch that this wasn't actually a 1990's aircraft, and I don't care he can eat a bag of dicks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	British_Airways_Concorde_G-BOAC_03.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	313.5 KB 
ID:	416528

Of course to each their own, but I've always enjoyed Beck. When Odelay was released it was a big part of the soundtrack for that summer before heading off to undergrad.

Hell of a showman too.

I got to see Beck and The Roots when they were touring to support Midnite Vultures (sleaziest rock ever and awesome), and The Roots Come Alive albums, respectively, in '99. If you haven't, give that Roots album a listen start to finish; it's fucking fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeffb View Post
    Sorry, I should have been more specific “G Love was a prime example of 90s white musicians who appropriated Black music style and culture, similar to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Vanilla Ice. While the rolling stones and beattles had previously copied black music, at least they had musical talent and were not douchebag skidmore drop outs”
    is that more accurate for you?
    You sound fun.

Nobody said g love was good.

The 90's had some amazing iconic events as well. I remember watching this with friends on someone's "Black Box" descrambler. "Did he just BITE him???"

Attachment 416529

...and why is that guy in the crowd wearing sunglasses?

Of course to each their own, but I've always enjoyed Beck. When Odelay was released it was a big part of the soundtrack for that summer before heading off to undergrad.

Hell of a showman too.

I got to see Beck and The Roots when they were touring to support Midnite Vultures (sleaziest rock ever and awesome), and The Roots Come Alive albums, respectively, in '99. If you haven't, give that Roots album a listen start to finish; it's fucking fantastic.
    I used to enjoy beck, but got to the point where he was so overplayed I would immediately change station/etc whenever I heard him. I don’t know that he held up for my musical tastes in any way outside of pure nostalgia.

And the Roots album(s) were phenomenal.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    “Cultural appropriation is cool as long as it’s done with art that I like”
    Beattles and Stones grew up working class. The experience of the Black blues musician resonated with them and there is authenticity to what they produced (which is why it changed the music and cultural landscape).

G Love grew up on banking lawyer money.

Bringing it back to the 90s, The Beastie Boys would not have produced the music they did it they had started their music career as Skidmore dropouts living at daddy’s house in tony South Hill neighborhood.
    That’s why lots if Black people listen to the Beastie Boys. And not a lot listen to G Love. He’s a punk ass derivative trust funder (and apparently sucks at poker too).

Feels like we need an example. I always liked Rodeo Clowns, the collaboration between Jack Johnson and G. Love
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    I used to enjoy beck, but got to the point where he was so overplayed I would immediately change station/etc whenever I heard him. I don’t know that he held up for my musical tastes in any way outside of pure nostalgia.

And the Roots album(s) were phenomenal.
    I can appreciate that. If you're ever bored and looking to validate/disprove your thoughts on him, give the album Colors he released a few years back. Easily his best album since Odelay in my opinion.

And I think I'm gonna crank up that Roots album this evening.

Hell of a showman too.

Roots were so fucking good live. One of the best shows I ever saw Roots and Outkast. Bombs over Baghdad blew my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeffb View Post
    Beattles and Stones grew up working class. The experience of the Black blues musician resonated with them and there is authenticity to what they produced (which is why it changed the music and cultural landscape).

G Love grew up on banking lawyer money.

Bringing it back to the 90s, The Beastie Boys would not have produced the music they did it they had started their music career as Skidmore dropouts living at daddy’s house in tony South Hill neighborhood.
    That’s why lots if Black people listen to the Beastie Boys. And not a lot listen to G Love. He’s a punk ass derivative trust funder (and apparently sucks at poker too).
    So he fucked your girlfriend?

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Yeah. It is kind of tough to categorize some like that. Aerosmith for example had a helluva good run and was distinctly popular in each decade for very different albums. Same could be said for Michael Jackson or David Bowie. We witnessed a serious evolution with those guys. Some of Bowie's music in the 90s was so kick ass, as he collaborated with Trent Reznor. So he was VERY 90s for a couple albums there.

Other acts stayed frozen in time which could make them a 60s, 70s, whatever band. Which is fine. Sometimes their fans demanded that. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    I think it's important to differentiate artists by time period. Just as some folks feel Metallica peaked in the mid 80's, others feel it was later than that. Bands have eras, artists change over time. If they put new art out during the decade, they were an artist of that decade. The 90's were when Aerosmith went from bluesy rock band to rock ballads. Michael Jackson went from black music star to white weirdo.

Movie soundtracks?
    I don't remember just how many copies of Romeo + Juilet soundtrack were floating around, but that soundtrack was a wild journey and every girl had it. Garbage, Everclear, Butthole Surfers, The Cardigans, Radiohead and others. Somehow it worked.

And a shoutout to Sublime. Not sure how they managed to be left out of the discussion on a ski forum for 12 pages, but they made ska/punk/rap/reggae work. Not bad for some gringos from Long Beach. Maybe don't bag on white rappers too much. Shitty rap knows no color: Kriss Kross and Hammer were 90's too.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

“Cultural appropriation is cool as long as your parents struggled to buy you musical instruments”

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    “Cultural appropriation is cool as long as your parents struggled to buy you musical instruments”
    I'm sure George could afford his own sitar