Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mbeffb View Post
    Beattles and Stones grew up working class. The experience of the Black blues musician resonated with them and there is authenticity to what they produced (which is why it changed the music and cultural landscape).

G Love grew up on banking lawyer money.

Bringing it back to the 90s, The Beastie Boys would not have produced the music they did it they had started their music career as Skidmore dropouts living at daddy’s house in tony South Hill neighborhood.
    That’s why lots if Black people listen to the Beastie Boys. And not a lot listen to G Love. He’s a punk ass derivative trust funder (and apparently sucks at poker too).
    This thread is a darker place for having you in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post

And a shoutout to Sublime. Not sure how they managed to be left out of the discussion on a ski forum for 12 pages, but they made ska/punk/rap/reggae work. Not bad for some gringos from Long Beach. Maybe don't bag on white rappers too much. Shitty rap knows no color: Kriss Kross and Hammer were 90's too.
    Sublime was another big part of my late 90's soundtrack. They'll come on the radio and I'll think, man, I haven't listened to these guys in years, and then go and binge a whole album.
    I still call it The Jake.

Whole album.

Same.

Bangers.

Ugh no. I’d put Linkin Park right in there with Limp Bizkit, Smashmouth, Eminiem, Kid Rock (I dislike Eminem and Kid Rock but those Detroit boys can at least lay claim to having some originality).
    ”.
    Dude no, Linkin Park wasn’t 90s. Hybrid Theory wasn’t released until 2000 and Meteora wasn’t until 2003. They weren’t even known as Linkin Park until 1999 (they were known as Xero and Hybrid Theory before then and really only released a couple short demo tapes).

Contrast with Smashmouth (Fush Yu Mang in 1997, Astro Lounge in 1999), Eminem (Infinite 1996, Slim Shady EP 1997, Slim Shady LP 1999).

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    This thread is a darker place for having you in it.
    For a lot of Black folks, they don’t really love: “darker place”, “black hole”, etc.
    Just something to think about if you are traveling outside of Utah sometime. Maybe just say “this place is worse for having you in it”.

And Sublime was an amazing group. They’re definitely in the echelon of Beastie Boys and “the white half of Bob Marley”.

And Sublime was an amazing group. They’re definitely in the echelon of Beastie Boys and “the white half of Bob Marley”.
    Sublime is the perfect rock band paradox. If they’d not partied so hard and been so drugged up, they could have made more music and been more successful, but if they did that would their music be as good as it was?

90's appreciation thrad

All this Sublime talk and no music.

Soundtrack to my HS days.

https://youtu.be/e1dPKfxRhk0

Sublime nailed the appropriation in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

For a lot of Black folks, they don’t really love: “darker place”, “black hole”, etc.
    Just something to think about if you are traveling outside of Utah sometime. Maybe just say “this place is worse for having you in it”.

A hearty LOL over here.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Beck
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Beck
    In the late 90s I drove this, but with more stripes that had been added by the previous owner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4gencorolla.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	412.1 KB 
ID:	416531

When my cousin first saw it, he said it looked like something Beck would drive, thus The Beckmobile was born. I said it had two camshafts and a microphone, but only a few people got it. Midnight Vultures was still in the cassette deck when I gave it to a friend, who drove it right up to the day it finally succumbed to Toyota's mortal enemy: Fe₂O₃

Two decades later, Beck would still get nostalgic about 80s Toyotas (take that Hyundai!)

Name:	hyperspace.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	416535

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    All this Sublime talk and no music.

Soundtrack to my HS days.

https://youtu.be/e1dPKfxRhk0

Sublime nailed the appropriation in this one.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Exactly! You say “nailed the appropriation”, I say “brought authenticity”. Sublime doesnt pull off the brilliance of “April 29, 1992” if they weren’t from Long Beach.

Beastie Boys don’t pull off the brilliance of Shadrach (Paul’s Boutique came out in ‘89, but that still counts as 90s right?) if they weren’t from Brooklyn.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MEVfHmjKOrM

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    In the late 90s I drove this, but with more stripes that had been added by the previous owner.

Name:	4gencorolla.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	412.1 KB 
ID:	416531

When my cousin first saw it, he said it looked like something Beck would drive, thus The Beckmobile was born. I said it had two camshafts and a microphone, but only a few people got it. Midnight Vultures was still in the cassette deck when I gave it to a friend, who drove it right up to the day it finally succumbed to Toyota's mortal enemy: Fe₂O₃

Two decades later, Beck would still get nostalgic about 80s Toyotas (take that Hyundai!)

Name:	hyperspace.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	416535
    Now this is a fantastic post.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else getting the vibe that Benny has joined the chat here? WTF?
    I still call it The Jake.

90's appreciation thrad

Hey mbeffb, was your dad a machinist or did he own a machine shop?
    Last edited by mcphee; 05-16-2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Specificity

Beastie boys where Manhattan school boy retards who just happened to be in the thick of a musical revolution occuring in NYC. They didn't live in poverty or anything remotely close to it. They are legit talented but they started with just following the advice of cool kids at NYU and going to shows every day when the music scene was amazing in NYC. Read their book it's amazing how lucky they were.

90s were great. I remember in NJ getting a mixed tape with my Echo Tshirt I bought at a shop that you could buy wax, Montana spray, and the African jewelry that fell out of style quickly. Spoken word was hot back then. Used to go watch slam poets occasionally. I bounced around a few of the counter culture scenes. Artists are a fun crowd but damn do they have their extreme highs and lows.

https://youtu.be/LnfaaFJLSI8

I stand corrected on Mike Diamond and Ad Rocks background. I’m more familiar with Adam Yauch (he did grow up in brooklyn and he was on scholarship at his hs).

A lot of the Riot Grrrl bands out of Olympia used to play in Seattle in the '90s. L7, Sleater-Kinney, Heavens to Betsy, Seven Year Bitch, The Gits (RIP Mia Zapata), and of course Bikini Kill.

I stand corrected on Mike Diamond and Ad Rocks background. I’m more familiar with Adam Yauch (he did grow up in brooklyn and he was on scholarship at his hs).
    "Like the rest of the Beastie Boys, Yauch was born into a middle class, Jewish, New York family, growing up in Brooklyn as the son of an architect and a public school administrator."

So, sort of like Nas? Mad street cred that lends so much to the music.....

Umm Nas was born to a musician father who introduced him to loads and loads of influencal music. He was trained to understand the beat but to just feel it not classical style writing.

So yeah not like Nas. Thinking of someone else?

Sorry, I should have been more specific “G Love was a prime example of 90s white musicians who appropriated Black music style and culture, similar to Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit and Vanilla Ice. While the rolling stones and beattles had previously copied black music, at least they had musical talent and were not douchebag skidmore drop outs”
    is that more accurate for you?
    What's next? Tacoma recommendations?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Umm Nas was born to a musician father who introduced him to loads and loads of influencal music. He was trained to understand the beat but to just feel it not classical style writing.

So yeah not like Nas. Thinking of someone else?
    He's trying to teach us about how background and youth living situation influences musical credibility. Nas grew up in Queens-bridge projects. Try to keep up.

Someone put Linkin Park in with Limp Biscuit and Vanilla Ice? Jeez you guys don't seem to understand musical styles or influences much huh? Not surprising considering the cross section of 50 year old white boy skiers here. I'm still down kinda like I have to listen to bad taste in music at weddings but have fun anyway.

Uh, Yauch went to a public high school.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

He's trying to teach us about how background and youth living situation influences musical credibility. Nas grew up in Queens-bridge projects. Try to keep up.
    Yeah ok....go back to kinda like but not but kinda like in the same vicinity.

BTW there are a half dozen convos going at once. I just walked in the door and did what I usually do and fact correct on random shit. I'm not trying to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Yeah ok....go back to kinda like but not but kinda like in the same vicinity.
    Do you understand sarcasm in person? Or is it just the written version that confounds you?

Do you understand sarcasm in person? Or is it just the written version that confounds you?
    Are you experienced enough to understand sarcasm doesn't work online and should just be left to conversations in person with east coasters who hate everything but what their daily routine consists of? Ok Joey Rigatoni?