Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Yeah, it was. But I can't take credit for it, because the broth is the make or break.

Connecting the food and music theme, during the early 90s, I lived in a rented house with the guys from my band. One of them had a knack for Jasmine rice + Paul Newman's salad dressing + whatever meat we could get for cheap (usually canned tuna or bbq pork from the Asian grocery). Sounds disgusting, but was strangely ok. We'd also make fried rice from any/all meat leftovers, and "pasta whatever", which was either olive oil + fresh basil, or coconut milk + curry powder plus whatever vegetables we had.

We probably ate better than we played.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    “Cultural appropriation is cool as long as your parents struggled to buy you musical instruments”
    This "cultural appropriation" BS is annoying af.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    This "cultural appropriation" BS is annoying af.
    Especially in the context of music. Music has been ripped off from other composers and musicians since cavemen began banging rocks and sticks together. It was actually THE thing to do during the Renaissance, to rip someone else off and just tweak it enough to make it their own. We can just do it faster and on a wider scale than ever.

Back on the food point, I was only a teen back in the 90's so I was pretty much eating garbage. 59/79/99 cent taco bell value menu was amazing with Little Richard and Johnny Cash singing about it on TV. Doin' the DEW while watching the X games because there was nothing more Xtreme. I made myself sick on 39 cent McDonalds cheeseburgers when I ate 6 of them on a 10 minute break working at the movie theater.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

I read somewhere that an engineer created an algorithm to compose every conceivable melody then published every one of them as free source material so musicians could no longer bicker over who made what first or that similiar melodies were the property of one artist.

I read somewhere that an engineer created an algorithm to compose every conceivable melody then published every one of them as free source material so musicians could no longer bicker over who made what first or that similiar melodies were the property of one artist.
    Couldn't have published every version, but maybe could have published the code that could have created it.

On any given 88 key piano, there are 5.2 billion ways to play 4 individual notes in a sequence. Move that up to 8 notes and it's 3.16 x 10^17 different ways. And that's assuming a uniform duration note and no rests.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

90's appreciation thrad

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/m...-a9364536.html

I was a bit off Not every conceivable melody but the algorithm is able to make sonically pleasurable melodies. He’s copyrighted 68 billion 8 note melodies.

He’s copyrighted 68 billion 8 note melodies.
    That sucks and pisses me off. Can that be true? Is my sarcometer busted?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    so american pie topped off the 90s
    excellent movie by the way

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    so american pie topped off the 90s
    excellent movie by the way
    I think the Big Lebowski topped off the 90s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    That sucks and pisses me off. Can that be true? Is my sarcometer busted?
    “The system has yet to be put to the test in a court of law but Mr Riehl hopes the catalogue and billions of melodies will end accidental copyright infringements and give songwriters ‘more freedom’ to create music.”

On one hand I agree. No one really owns sound and growing up listening to music then making music influenced by all the music that came before you and so on, people are bound to make a similiar song from a melody.

On the other it seems like open season on blatant rip offs mostly affecting musicians with no power in the industry.

Is the point that Vanilla Ice opened the 90s by ripping off Bowie/Queen?

Otherwise I don’t see the point of pursuing some now-banned troll’s appropriation bent to an otherwise enjoyable thread.
    I still call it The Jake.

Carson. Fucking epic even into 1991

Have we made it this far without someone mentioning Dookie?
    Listening to Green Day at the state soccer tournament while watching OJ and AC on TV cruise through California in a white bronco. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I think the Big Lebowski topped off the 90s

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    no
    I see we have some work to do here

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Listening to Green Day at the state soccer tournament while watching OJ and AC on TV cruise through California in a white bronco. Good times!
    Tangentially, in my earlier posts about the BuzzardFest Green Day riot and subsequent $5 “my bad” concert.

Great album.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Is the point that Vanilla Ice opened the 90s by ripping off Bowie/Queen?
    He had a great explanation of why/how it was NOT a ripoff of under pressure, maybe on behind the music? Basically it was,
    "Well, they did 'dun dun dun diddah dun dun', but what WE did was 'dun dun dun dun diddah dun dun' so obviously it was not the same, there's that other 'dun' in there". Pretty awesome

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    My parents could tell you exactly where they were when they heard Kennedy was shot. I could tell you exactly where I was, and who I was with, when I watched the slo-mo-white-bronco.

As for Dookie, you know how the early fans tend to turn on the band when they start to make it? That was pretty much all of my friends when that album was released. In hindsight, they were wrong, but I'm still partial to the 39/Smooth-to-Kerplunk years.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post
    no
    I see we have some work to do here
    Upstates 2.0 here we go.

Has Blues Traveler been mentioned yet?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

I think so. Several Mags here apparently brushed into them quite a bit in their Princeton days.

I went to a whole bunch of Horde Tour shows and saw them locally last year for the first time in a decade. They still jam out. Their first 4 albums were in heavy rotation in the 6 disc changer during the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I think so. Several Mags here apparently brushed into them quite a bit in their Princeton days.

I went to a whole bunch of Horde Tour shows and saw them locally last year for the first time in a decade. They still jam out. Their first 4 albums were in heavy rotation in the 6 disc changer during the 90s.
    I remember seeing them at the Roseland here in maybe '93 and Popper was relegated to performing sitting down due to some health issue he was having at the time. If you were to tell me then that they'd still be jamming out in 2022 I'd have called bullshit.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Still have home and away Suns jerseys. Not sure about the Starter.

Just got an email from the Ogden in Denver. Tickets for Sunny Day Real Estate, Pedro the Lion, Hot Water Music, and Thrice this year. Yep the 90s are back. Haven't seen live music in a while.....