Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Results 501 to 525 of 668
  1. #501
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    How many of you went to the dark side?
    I did. But I kept thinking 'this (terrain, snow condition, etc) would be better on skis'.

  2. #502
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Mayonnaisium
    Posts
    9,466

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    11,318
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ...skiing was saved in the 90s.

    The first half of the decade saw extreme skiing come into the mainstream, snowboarding helped change the shape of skis (and style) forever and for the better, and the Solly 1080, the ski that would change the sport and give rise to the freestyle disciplines we see in the Olympics now was introduced in 1997.
    QFT. Skiing was dying. The gear was shit. Ticket sales were waning. Hills were going out of business. It needed a shake up, and snowboarding was it.


  4. #504
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,257
    Damn straight. Skiing off piste on skinny skis was such a PITA. It was like watching the early mountain bikers navigate super technical terrain. Doable, but kind of pathetic to watch now. There were outliers like Coombs, of course. But snowboards brought flotation and spinability to the masses, forever changing alpine sports.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    11,292
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Damn straight. Skiing off piste on skinny skis was such a PITA. It was like watching the early mountain bikers navigate super technical terrain. Doable, but kind of pathetic to watch now. There were outliers like Coombs, of course. But snowboards brought flotation and spinability to the masses, forever changing alpine sports.
    They stole our women. Itís true.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    28,629
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    The Solly 1080
    This got me thinking. I came into the 90s rocking Dynastar Vertical Assaults and I think my last non-Solly (or Hart) ski for about 18 years were these Atomic 533ce:



    Then these came out and I never looked back:




    I even paired em up with these bad boys:



    and the matching Force 9 bindings.

    When the Super Force 9s hit, I got a few versions of the Edgar Grospiron-designed 3s and ended up picking up the stiffer 2s as well the next year:




    ^^^I still have these in the garage for longboard days, and they still truck.



    Then these came out and skiing changed. If anyone can remember Vinny Dorian's song about trying to find them "Gimme yo 1080s, and I won't break your face" in Superpark 2, it was fact. I finally tracked down a pair from Euroland via some shop in France. Eventually got the blue versions from Japan a year or two later.



    I had three pair of these, and to this day, they're one of my favorite skis ever; still have a pair in the garage as well:



    (I know getting out of the 90s at this point, but hey)
    My first pair of "fat" skis, 1080 Gun Labs



    And lastly, a ski I've loved so much I still ski it to this day because it's the best all-mountain bump ski I can find (we'll see next season when I step into some Faction CT 2.0s), and own 3 pair of, the CR 1080 Lab:






    Skiing in the 90s fucking rocked.


    [no pics mine]
    I still call it The Jake.

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,720
    I was just moving a pair of '90s vintage straight skis in my garage last night and couldn't believe how skinny they looked. Nowadays they look more like XC skis than downhill.

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    16,292
    your thoughts on 90s era shaped skis reminded me of attending various ski racing camps at Hood and Valian's in Govy had the Volant guys out font pushing their shaped metal ski "Ski the Steel!". Having a hard time finding a good image but I do recall the Volants being pretty early in the adoption of the shaped ski.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    9,804
    Elan SCX - 1994:


  10. #510
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    11,318
    ^^^ carve or DIE!!!

  11. #511
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,257
    Entered the ‘90’s on one of these bad boys…

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20A9E4EC-2E11-4CAC-B2E6-BB7AE940EC12.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	417218
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  12. #512
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,358
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Well, the tram and a couple chairlifts on the Apres Vous side
    Yes. Of course. Tram AV Teewinot and crystal springs.

    But no way to the upper mountain other than the tram. It must have been amazing. That’s a lot of terrain for one lift.

  13. #513
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But no way to the upper mountain other than the tram. It must have been amazing. That’s a lot of terrain for one lift.
    Yeah, it had to have been insane. And normal people probably could have been able to afford to live there!

  14. #514
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    9,014
    I skied a pair of these 1080s, also with the Look pivots, three times last season.. True story bro!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21882497059dc0f3a8d196.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	417229
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    16,358
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, it had to have been insane. And normal people probably could have been able to afford to live there!
    True. But even in the nineties JH was a summer place. Cheap lodging all over. Elk refuge. 49r etc.
    good ski bum memories
    I blame trg. And the billionaires. It’s fubar now.

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    28,629
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I skied a pair of these 1080s, also with the Look pivots, three times last season.. True story bro!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21882497059dc0f3a8d196.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	417229
    Solly Driver or nothing.
    I still call it The Jake.

  17. #517
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,257
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, it had to have been insane. And normal people probably could have been able to afford to live there!
    Lol, when I rolled in ‘96 or so, everyone said it was over, “housing would never be affordable, you have to go look in Driggs”.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,720
    On that note, I was watching "Weekend at Bernie's" (don't judge) over the weekend, which actually came out in 1989, but close enough. There's a part where the two guys first show up at Bernie's massive beachfront house and the Andrew McCarthy characters says "wow, what do you think a place like this goes for? 1.6-1.7 mill?" Those were the days.

  19. #519
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    9,014
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Solly Driver or nothing.
    Anything but those horrendous Solly Piilots... Had some Scream 10s, garbage...

    I've got Drivers on my Cabrawler bump skis..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  20. #520
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    your vacation
    Posts
    3,460
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Lol, when I rolled in ‘96 or so, everyone said it was over, “housing would never be affordable, you have to go look in Driggs”.
    yeah shits funny now that you look back
    remember rooms were running 350 - 450 when I got here
    I was used to rooms back east being around 180 - 250

    and housing prices yeah everyone wants to live here
    but it was 90s and a free for all before tech money ruined everything

  21. #521
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    STL
    Posts
    11,292
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    On that note, I was watching "Weekend at Bernie's" (don't judge) over the weekend, which actually came out in 1989, but close enough. There's a part where the two guys first show up at Bernie's massive beachfront house and the Andrew McCarthy characters says "wow, what do you think a place like this goes for? 1.6-1.7 mill?" Those were the days.
    Having grown up with friends whose families had massive west shore Tahoe lake fronts itís sad now. Back in the recession of 93-94 my buddies family sold a acre plus, with three cabins on it in Tahoma for 1.6 mm. That home today would be 16mm plus.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #522
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    28,629
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Anything but those horrendous Solly Piilots... Had some Scream 10s, garbage...

    I've got Drivers on my Cabrawler bump skis..
    I had one pair of Tyrolia FreeFlexes (talk about a drag anchor) on those previously mentioned Atomic 533ce, other than that it's only been Drivers for me (or some iteration thereof); 747s, 997s, 912, 914...
    I still call it The Jake.

  23. #523
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    9,014
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I had one pair of Tyrolia FreeFlexes (talk about a drag anchor) on those previously mentioned Atomic 533ce, other than that it's only been Drivers for me (or some iteration thereof); 747s, 997s, 912, 914...
    Well the 1080 came with pivots already fitting my BSL and they cost $9.99 at goodwill, not a spot of rust or single base gouge. Looked like they were maybe skied once. Probably got 30 days on them now. Really fun ski for the small 365 vert hill I ski fairly often.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  24. #524
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    28,629
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Well the 1080 came with pivots already fitting my BSL and they cost $9.99 at goodwill, not a spot of rust or single base gouge. Looked like they were maybe skied once. Probably got 30 days on them now. Really fun ski for the small 365 vert hill I ski fairly often.
    Well, despite the ACL twisters that's a hell of a deal!
    I still call it The Jake.

  25. #525
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,934
    They were great at one of out early 80s dorm parties, but that was their apex to me

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •