Page 20 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    But setting that aside, it was just completely unrelatable as someone fresh out of college, chronically underemployed, of no fixed address, with a revolving cast of roommates. I'd see that show and think, 'what the fuck is the problem with these people?!' Barely working, yet living in Manhattan, dating a constant stream of hot women. Friends that would do pretty much anything for each other. They're living the dream!
    You sure you're not talking about Friends?

I loved Seinfeld, but got bored with Friends pretty quickly.

Ha! I have never once intentionally watched an episode of Friends. But I learned at a young age, that unless you want a life of celibacy, don't hog the tv remote.

But setting that aside, it was just completely unrelatable as someone fresh out of college, chronically underemployed, of no fixed address, with a revolving cast of roommates. I'd see that show and think, 'what the fuck is the problem with these people?!' Barely working, yet living in Manhattan, dating a constant stream of hot women. Friends that would do pretty much anything for each other. They're living the dream! And yet they're completely caught up in triviality.
    That's practically every show on TV.. They've all got dream jobs living in huge houses, even the so called poor folks. Anyone remember that show "Rock" about the garbage man? Remember that house he lived in? NO way a trash man could afford that house.. The Connors wouldn't be able to afford the taxes on that big broken down house working at the hardware store and driving Ubers..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    The entire show was basically an ironic riff on the inanity of everything human
    There's a making of Seinfeld documentary where they're interviewing Jerry about how when they got the offer for the pilot, he and Larry met to spitball ideas, wandering around New York doing mundane stuff like going to the deli and having coffee. After rejecting various plots and premises, one of them blurt out, "this is it! this is the show".

Can't remember if it was the same piece, but there's an interview with Jason Alexander where he relates a story from reading one of the earliest scripts and going to Larry David to tell him he doesn't know how to play it because it's too implausible and that no real person would act that way - to which Larry says, "but it did happen! and that was how I reacted!"

Don't know if the rejection of traditional sitcom tropes was intentional or just inexperience, but it took a while to click. As I said, I did change my tune and watch the whole thing in order (long after the 90s). The show got much better when Alexander started playing George as David, Elaine actually got some plot lines as opposed to being the token girl, and Jerry finally realized that he's the straight man, not the comic.

One thing's for sure, they never jumped the shark.

Ha! I have never once intentionally watched an episode of Friends. But I learned at a young age, that unless you want a life of celibacy, don't hog the tv remote.
    This sums up the relationship between those shows reeeeeaal well in the nineties. ER, too.

90's appreciation thrad

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    That's practically every show on TV.. They've all got dream jobs living in huge houses, even the so called poor folks. Anyone remember that show "Rock" about the garbage man? Remember that house he lived in? NO way a trash man could afford that house.. The Connors wouldn't be able to afford the taxes on that big broken down house working at the hardware store and driving Ubers..
    Roc was a decent show (Charles Dutton had done time for murder) it was One of the Fox networks initial primetime shows.

Can’t recall if it was in the line up w the two real gems : Get a Life starting Chris Elliot and the Ben Stiller Show

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Roc was a decent show (Charles Dutton had done time for murder) it was One of the Fox networks initial primetime shows.

Can’t recall if it was in the line up w the two real gems : Get a Life starting Chris Elliot and the Ben Stiller Show
    Agree about all these. I also watched "Flying Blind" on Fox just to see Tea Leoni.

One thing's for sure, they never jumped the shark.
    They should have had Seinfeld jump a shark on waterskis for the last episode
    That would have been so sweet.
    Mic drop.

90's appreciation thrad

Not the 90s, but hard to beat the Arrested Development call back to jumping the shark

https://youtu.be/gWENaZN7bMM

Well, Jerry did play a working comedian and appeared on the tonight show. Doing pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Well, Jerry did play a working comedian and appeared on the tonight show. Doing pretty well
    Wasn’t he “playing” himself?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yep. But he wasn’t playing a guy with no job living in a nice manhattan apartment

And who lived directly across the hall again...?

edit: even accepting the premise that this unlikely group of friends are living lives of leisure in NY, I still didn't connect or sympathize with any of the characters when I first saw it. I didn't know a George or Kramer.

The fact that so much of it entered the lexicon kinda annoyed me too.

OTOH, I have known a Dennis, Mac, and sweet Dee.
    Last edited by Ted Striker; 05-23-2022 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Not the 90s, but hard to beat the Arrested Development call back to jumping the shark
    The (original) Arrested Development was genius.

We need a 00s thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Agree about all these. I also watched "Flying Blind" on Fox just to see Tea Leoni.
    Yup. That show wasn’t any worse than most of what was on back then either. Not exactly high art.

The (original) Arrested Development was genius.

We need a 00s thread.
    911, endless war about nothing relevant to our homeland,
    But fat shaped skis this one time at band camp so all good...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Ahem. Yum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62C4C0FE-C04B-4CE3-9256-6EEF617B10E1.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	417179
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    That’s just mean.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This sums up the relationship between those shows reeeeeaal well in the nineties. ER, too.
    90s tv for a minute was a time where a busy family stopped chasing rides to school, practice, games, the hill, etc. and just sat down and watched something together (without tiny screens in hand either). Of course, Friends, Seinfeld, and Cheers/Frasier, but what I remember most, as a family (likely cause I was younger and had 2 younger sisters, was Home Improvement. We loved that show as a family and I still love Tim Allen.

OTOH, I have known a Dennis, Mac, and sweet Dee.
    I think that’s why we’re all here. We all know those guys. We love those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ahem. Yum.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62C4C0FE-C04B-4CE3-9256-6EEF617B10E1.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	417179
    Mmmmm mmm. Paging Marshall Tucker.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    911, endless war about nothing relevant to our homeland,
    But fat shaped skis this one time at band camp so all good...
    Yeah bad shit for sure. But bad shit happens every decade in this country.

But we did have...
    Arrested Development, Always Sunny, South Park, Family Guy, Six Feet Under, Dexter, Curb, Weeds (God damn that woman is hot)

On the movie side...
    Snatch, Tropic Thunder, Idiocracy, Zoolander, Anchorman, Borat, Best in Show

And those are just off the top of my head

90's appreciation thrad

The 90’s were not great for skiing.

How many of you went to the dark side?

Aside from that, it was the best decade. No war, lots of jobs coming out of school. No cell phones, no social media.

The 90’s ended on 911. It’s been a steep downgrade since.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    The 90’s were not great for skiing.

How many of you went to the dark side?

Aside from that, it was the best decade. No war, lots of jobs coming out of school. No cell phones, no social media.

The 90’s ended on 911. It’s been a steep downgrade since.

The 90s were incredible for skiing, and it reality, skiing was saved in the 90s.

The first half of the decade saw extreme skiing come into the mainstream, snowboarding helped change the shape of skis (and style) forever and for the better, and the Solly 1080, the ski that would change the sport and give rise to the freestyle disciplines we see in the Olympics now was introduced in 1997.

And the 93 and 94 seasons saw all-time blizzards.

Skiing in the 90s was great.

Last edited by BmillsSkier; 05-23-2022 at 07:16 AM.
    I still call it The Jake.

Seconded. Nineties were great for skiing.

Less crowded.
    More affordable.
    Clipping wickets.
    Fatter skis at the end.

Could be the best ski decade ever.

I dream of JH in the late sixties with only the tram.
    The smith video is boner city. But man those skinny skis were hard to ski in pow.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Seconded. Nineties were great for skiing.

Less crowded.
    More affordable.
    Clipping wickets.
    Fatter skis at the end.

Could be the best ski decade ever.
    eo]
    when I was a kid I had a copper pass I'd take my afternoon break around three head down to the "free skier" lots in town wander around find the biggest looking touron and ask them how the skiing was talk them up a bit ask them if they were done for the day and if I could borrow their ticket so I could make a couple quick runs before they close people were always happy to help out a dirt bag looking twenty year old but they'd say how do you get it off without ruining it I'd say don't worry and before they had a chance to think anymore I had my small wire cutters out snip the wicket where it goes into the paper pull it off their jacket and say thanks and walk quickly away after work I'd head over to keystone for an hour or two did this once a week

I've got plenty of VHS tapes that support the snow conditions were epic in the 90s. Tahoe area especially. Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, and Alaska. Since then we have had decades of global warming and that shitty ski movie about sand or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I dream of JH in the late sixties with only the tram.
    Well, the tram and a couple chairlifts on the Apres Vous side