Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

90's appreciation thrad

taking my Q from bmills
    no need to talk about how great life was before the internet fat skis and cell phone cameras in the heroin thread
    ski town life peaked in the 80's and some of us got the left overs in the 90's

I have a faded b&w photo on my desk from 1993 circa in Arizona blazed out of my mind camping/road trip
    the glory days

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

I have a faded b&w photo on my desk from 1993 circa in Arizona blazed out of my mind camping/road trip
    the glory days
    No fat skis but we were all 30 years younger.
    I'd take that.
    See avatar.

Yep... finishing college, moving out west, discovering skiing, discovering powder skiing, traveling... the 90's were a fine time, from a personal standpoint.

Lived in Hermosa Beach 90-97, a little 1 bed, 1 bath 800 sq foot bungalow 3 blocks to the beach with a yard and a model T sized garage. Rent was $850 a month and roommate was a hot redhead girlfriend/wife. Someone was always bringing by a shark or yellow tail or bag full of lobsters or summer shrimp depending on the season and a BBQ party would break out in the back alley with all the neighbors. Surfing, skating on the strand, fishing, blowing the fuck out of the world on July 4th, we looked good and we're having a great life. It was an amazing time and place.

I always tell kids, at some point in your young lives, go live at the beach.

90's appreciation thrad

Seeing Phish and Pearl Jam in bars and clubs, GD Spring tour in 1990, moving to Seattle 3 weeks before Smells Like Teen Spirit broke, skiing the volcanos before AT gear was widespread, getting married, having kids, ….

The ‘90s were a great decade.

When listening to some of the great music of the 90s I'm transported back to hanging out with my friends, at that stage where you feel invincible and the world is full of exciting possibilities. I read recently that we should not get annoyed by the music of today. We should feel sorry for the teenagers that are growing with it and for whom it will become the soundtrack of their lives.

And yeah, I'm so happy that there were no phones to record for posterity that stupid things that I said or did when I was younger! And that I didn't have to worry to maintain a good, perfectly curated online presence.

Some things were worse, for sure (trying to figure out how to get to a new place with only a vague description of the route, for example), but I'm happy that when people got together they were not also checking their phones to find out what someone they met in passing a few years ago and who lives 1000 miles away is having for lunch, but now this is considered normal.

There was great music in the 90s?

Musta missed it.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Heh, saw Phish on "$2 Tuesdays" at the 23 East in Ardmore, PA, but that was December 1989. Saw them many times in the early 90s, until the scene became too Grateful Dead like (I retired as a Deadhead in 1990). I wish I had gone to see Nirvana and Pearl Jam (Mookie Blaylock) before they became big. The early 90s in Seattle did introduce me to great beer and coffee, two things that were fairly exclusive to the NW back then. Fuck, Pike Place Pale Ale was goddam nectar of the gods, until the brewery got bought and they changed it.

Became a ski bum in the 90s. That was a good thing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post

Musta missed it.
    You musta...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Heh, saw Phish on "$2 Tuesdays" at the 23 East in Ardmore, PA, but that was December 1989. Saw them many times in the early 90s, until the scene became too Grateful Dead like (I retired as a Deadhead in 1990). I wish I had gone to see Nirvana and Pearl Jam (Mookie Blaylock) before they became big. The early 90s in Seattle did introduce me to great beer and coffee, two things that were fairly exclusive to the NW back then. Fuck, Pike Place Pale Ale was goddam nectar of the gods, until the brewery got bought and they changed it.

Became a ski bum in the 90s. That was a good thing.
    My gateway beer, from the *very* early 90's:

Musta missed it.
    GTFO

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3q...RgyLYU8mLpAGyw

A great car, a hot girlfriend, endless opportunity ahead, cheap cold beer in an igloo playmate cooler in the cargo area, bubblegum weed in the hidden compartment, lifeguarding at a second-tier waterpark, never missing a ski day at the local bump, out-fucking standing music, skis on the roof in the winter, windows and roof open in the summer, no where to go and everywhere to go and all the time in the world to get there.

The 90s were a great fucking time.

Musta missed it.
    GET OUT.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...t=twenty+years
    I still call it The Jake.

Someone forgot about Dre
    Live Free or Die

Musta missed it.
    Wifey and I saw the Breeders and Mazzy Star on back to back nights at the Hollywood Palace c. '93, those were fantastic shows. I'd do anything for Hope Sandoval.

I grew up skiing a small mountain in VT that no longer exists (Ascutney)
    Stopped for a while when we moved to the south coast of MA
    College friend got me back into skiing
    He moved out west after graduating to work at WP as an instructor
    I went to visit, it snowed a foot while I was there, I moved out to Boulder in 2000
    Put some yellow XScreams on layaway at Boulder Ski Deals
    Went to the Matchstick premiere for Ski Movie
    Seth Morrison was in the box office selling tickets
    Lights went down
    Opening riff from "Barracuda" started playing
    Good times

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Seeing Phish and Pearl Jam in bars and clubs, GD Spring tour in 1990, moving to Seattle 3 weeks before Smells Like Teen Spirit broke, skiing the volcanos before AT gear was widespread, getting married, having kids, ….

The ‘90s were a great decade.
    Holy shit. We probably bumped into each other and didn't know it. Spring tour '90 was off the hook. I stumbled out of The Front after Phish's last show with about a dozen pint glasses under my jacket. Well, I had more but I dropped a handful on the sidewalk in front of the bouncers who were telling us all to go the fuck away. Amy's farm was about when my Phish experience ended.

So much more to the 90s than GD and Phish.

90's appreciation thrad

Finished high school, went to college, lived in Florence Italy, then NYC. Loved the rock and rap of the 90s…still do. Didn’t ski much, worked my ass off in college and in NYC. Met my future wife mid 90s. Remember thinking I was the shit in ‘99 walking around Manhattan with a cell phone the size of a small brick. Would like to slap that douche

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Someone forgot about Dre
    Excellent reference...

Going from 80s to 90s music was sooooo refreshing
    Will never forget the first time I heard Nirvana, Pearl Jam, so much energy. The PJ movie "Twenty" really captured it well I thought.
    Listening to the local high school radio station and hearing this awesome guitar tone, "that was this new band, Phish"
    Was talking to friends in the neighborhood we live in now, turns out we were all at the same Phish show at Sugarbush in 1994 lol
    Seeing RATM at UMass in 1993
    Taking the bus from UMass to Northampton and seeing shows at Pearl Street

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Finished high school, went to college, lived in Florence Italy, then NYC. Loved the rock and rap of the 90s…still do. Didn’t ski much, worked my ass off in college and in NYC. Met my future wife mid 90s. Remember thinking I was the shit in ‘99 walking around Manhattan with a cell phone the size of a small brick. Would like to slap that douche
    How long did you live in Florence? I should have done that in the early 90's...

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Holy shit. We probably bumped into each other and didn't know it.
    I'm convinced that Peruvian and I must have shared a joint in some parking lot (or maybe a beer at the Comet or the Buckaroo) many years before we met on TTips.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Relax..... its not that the time was so awesome or the music was so great.

A great car, a hot girlfriend, endless opportunity ahead
    That there is the key, you were young.

See signature line 2
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Wifey and I saw the Breeders and Mazzy Star on back to back nights at the Hollywood Palace c. '93, those were fantastic shows. I'd do anything for Hope Sandoval.
    Never got too deep into Mazzy Star, but Fade Into You on the radio, driving on warm summer night with windows down is a memory I can practically taste