Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    … Beasties heyday…
    Top of the 90s list for me

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    No mention of Ween yet?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sheet man. We’d eat gel tabs and pop mini-thins drinking Mickey’s wide mouth blasting Ween and OK Computer at the burned down country club pool trying not to fall in the deep end cess pool.

Then drive home. Jesus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    So much great music in the 90s. Phish and DMB I’d put somewhere along with Weezer, Back Street Boys, Brintney, Spice girls, Green Day, etc. Remember going to phish at the gorge with buddies. We’d never heard any of their music just heard they were the new dead. Scene was a bunch of trusty EC drop outs. They weren’t impressed by our rusted out f250 and cases of Hamms. Growing up in the PNW I saw so many great shows and I didn’t even turn 21 until the 2000s.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Hamms.. That's for people who can't afford "beer". It's so nasty it says "hey PBR, hold my beer".. But it is fitting because it's as bad as the Phish music is.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Saw the first REM show at the omni ever (well that was 4/89), page-plant, McCartney, The Who (well that was also 5/89), Aerosmith three times that I can remember, the stones twice, clapton, Mac, U2/PE opening the georgia dome, and the Grateful Dead 1994 omni. first show since 10/31/85 and the last I'd see of Jerry. ABB a few times, then Greg Allman & Friends. Saw a 14 yr old Derick Trucks @ Center stage swear that was 96 but damn these things start smearing together....1996 olympics...then kids.
    Those are mostly late-60s/early-70s musicians.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Name:  dave.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  56.0 KB
    ….
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Name:  dave.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  56.0 KB
    ….
    Dave doesn’t hate his own music.

He just thinks you’re a little bit gay for liking it.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Edit
    I was pretty RAD back then bro

when the dead were passing nearby a town you were in the acid was always plentiful and good

The first Discmans skipped if you breathed wrong. Still worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post

And this in the car...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

DMB and Phish were kinda shit it you asked me.

Bone Thugs, Sublime, The Fugees, Chilipeppers. Also was a 90’s metal head too, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath, etc.

And don't forget MTV when it was still mostly music but when they DID introduce shows, it was late at night and totally badass. Aeon Flux, the Head, the Maxx, Liquid Television, Beavis & Butthead, the Jon Stewart Show, etc.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    And this in the car...
    Ha! I still have one in my 03 taco to plug into the old MP3 player (which is also on death row).

And this in the car...
    My kids used one of those in the Subaru they shared in high school... just a few short years ago.

Oh yeah all my girlfriends at the time were so into DMB. I just couldn’t hang! Served him some drinks and let him bum a smoke when I was bartending downtown Denver. It was then I realized he was not tall.

Also served Jacob Dylan at least 10 wheat beers before their Wallflowers show at Red Rocks. His crew closed the bar down, left me with backstage passes. I gave them to friends. Would have rather met his dad.

I will say WSP was at their peak in the 90s. It’s hard for me to listen to them live now, just not the same.

I will also say Beastie’s Check Your Head was a defining soundtrack for me in the 90s, but my love affair with them actually started while riding the school bus home in 1986 after I failed honor band tryouts. I forgot my sheet music. A pivotal moment indeed, that bus ride home.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Rage, Peppers, PJ Harney, Beasties heyday, Soundgarden, Nick Cave, the Foos, Liz Phair, …
    Ayup. Pumpkins, Wu, Tribe, De La, Pixies (carryover from 89), Blues Traveler and anyone who played Lollapalooza, Warped Tour and/or Horde Tour. I was lucky to see so many of these in their first generation. Google "Buzzard Fest 1994" to see about the riot cops deployed at the free Green Day/Weezer show I was at that went tits up.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Top of the 90s list for me
    Beasties and the 90s (and afterwards) are King (Ad-rock).

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Sheet man. We’d eat gel tabs and pop mini-thins drinking Mickey’s wide mouth blasting Ween and OK Computer at the burned down country club pool trying not to fall in the deep end cess pool.

Then drive home. Jesus.

Driving while fucked up was a VERY 90s thing. Different times.

Geltabs, now there's something I haven't thought about or seen since our high school/immediately-post high school days thanks to the relatively reliable Kent State crowd. Wild times..

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Dave doesn’t hate his own music.

He just thinks you’re a little bit gay for liking it.
    I'm sure I'm not the only Mag here that will own a Dave fandom during the 90s. Shit, I've been to more shows than I can probably remember, and enjoyed the scene at each one. Then, dropped it all like it was a disease. I saw a few more shows and even hit the Gorge after that hiatus, which were all great, but then fell out again. Is what it is: great musicians, not for everyone, long jams, great live shows, pretty people, fun times, good until its not anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post

And this in the car...
    The Assfinder was the lucky recipient of a new single slot CD Pioneer head unit, but until that glorious day it was all Sony Sports CD player and wired fake cassette thumping 311's Grassroots.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    DMB and Phish were kinda shit it you asked me.

Bone Thugs, Sublime, The Fugees, Chilipeppers. Also was a 90’s metal head too, Slayer, Pantera, Megadeath, etc.

Bone and Sublime have extremely good staying power for two very distinct, albeit equally compelling, reasons.

Graveyard racing in a Dodge Neon to Sublime's Date Rape still makes me laugh.
    I still call it The Jake.

@0:52

Pretty sure I was watching GI joe and Ninja turtles

First and only time I did acid was at Fiddler’s. Can’t remember if it was Horde or Lolla but I do remember Mickey Hart’s drum band playing.

Ha. Memories. Samples, Lenny Kravitz, Ben Harper, cake, lots of Big Head Todd, Ben Folds, Black Crows, G Love, MM&W, 311, Primus, Bela, Luscious Jackson, Pharcyde, House of Pain, Cyprus HILLLL.

And yes a Graphix bong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I will say WSP was at their peak in the 90s. It’s hard for me to listen to them live now, just not the same.
    The last time I saw WSP was at the wetlands in NYC or part of the horde tour in I think '91. They were a southern bar band to me. I enjoyed it at the time, but never understood their fame. Same as the spin doctors. Blues Traveler had a little more longevity, but not much. I still see John Popper around every once and awhile. Fat dude can blow.

I used to take a fake SLR into the wetlands way too often, like 2x per week, and the bouncers would just let me cut the line. I was like 15-17 at the time. Lost my virginity with a chick I met there and we dated for 3 years while she was in college and me in HS. I gave her 2 tabs of acid and we asked around to crash on someone's flat on the floor. Dood gave me a condom and asked if I knew how to use it. She was in a mostly girls arts college on my way home. Early 90's were fun. Late 80's were pretty rough down those parts, especially the Bronx. When I went to college in western MA, the thing that took me forever to get over, besides my deep bronx accent, was the lack of colored cap crack viles anywhere. Skipped orientation and was introduced to an 8' bong. Didn't like that at all, but it was an experience. Traded a lot of tapes, played a lot of frisbee, and well, had some really honest good times. Brewed a lot of beer too.

I also took G Love down in my housing weekly poker game for 3 hundo. I didn't even know who he was, but he just wanted to get out of there after the beating and throw hoops. I laughed. That was my budget for 2 months. I used to keep a big pot of rice and beans on the porch frozen to carry me through, hopped freight trains during breaks so I didn't have to go home on my 400cc honda. Did that for 3 years of my college career. Didn't see my folks or sister in that whole time, and didn't care one bit. Stopped by on my way southbound on the AT in '96. I think that was the last time I saw them until I buried them in the 2000's. Moved to Colorado after working at MGH, met Danno 22 years ago, convinced him to jump over to TGR, and have been here since. I gifted all my early 90's phish boards to my last last girlfriend who still has them and plays them down in a cabin in SW CO. The 90's live on.

And I always had dual crushes on Ani and Liz Phair.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Spin Doctors should be in thread of bands that should be banned. Talk about ear worm for that one song they had. Ugh. Add Counting Crows, Sheryl Crow, and Barenaked Ladies to shit music of the 90s, shit got played on the radio all the time!

Spin Doctors should be in thread of bands that should be banned. Talk about ear worm for that one song they had. Ugh. Add Counting Crows, Sheryl Crow, and Barenaked Ladies to shit music of the 90s, shit got played on the radio all the time!
    What time is it? 4:30? It's notta late, it'sa early. They were off by 10 minutes. Fun guys to party with though.

These guys lived not too far down the road from me and I taped and saw hundreds of shows. They became friends as I was just getting into the internet (back then, just listserves, but it caught on). I was one of the couple of geeks that took Phish from a listserve to usenet. rec.music.phish was a creation of mine:

I'm sure I'm in this somewhere.

And how could we forget:

Saw some incredible jazz come up in that era too. Brian Blade, Brad Mehldau, Christian McBride. Holy shit, it was rich in depth. It was an incredible decade.

I still have some bootleg CD's that Jorge Rossy gave me after I hounded them all in boston night clubs in the late 90's. Jorge used to put ball bearings on his ride symbol. I was always there. Brad was into some serious heroin at the time. But it didn't matter.

Don't tell me 90's don't have music. Buy this album. I can't tell you how many times I listened to it.

It really hits deep.

This originally came out in I think '97 or 8.

Get the album. And everything that comes out of Brian Blade's brain.

And this was formative for me:

I remember staying in the basement of my girlfriend's house, cooking dinner for her what I thought was rich parents and using the stereo during the day while I spent their money at whole foods and cooking them amazing dinners each night while looking for a job and fucking their daughter.

Guess it won't link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSr1fDxGWDw

RIP CHICK. If that is not the best of the best, well, you are fucked.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 05-13-2022 at 12:55 AM.

You guys were listening to all the wrong music.

I assume this is more of a Lonesome Crowded West crowd. I'm a Long Drive guy, myself.

...Counting Crows...
    You shut your whore mouth. August and Everything After is a goddamn masterpiece of an album. Fight me.

That said, the 90's were amazing on all fronts for music. Record stores (remember those places?) were always jumping, and everyone would cruise there and listen to their new CD's in the parking lot. I wasn't cool enough for the 6-disc changer, but I had the detachable face stereo, and a '73 VW bug with dual glass packs and a 250w amp in it. Pioneer 3-way 6x9's and a 10" sub in a box I built and put behind the rear seat. Hell of a lot of sound for a tiny car.

Some notable 90's music that hasn't been hit on yet:

Peak Guns n Roses

Just past absolute peak Metallica

Nine Inch Nails shows up and starts melting faces

Marlyin Manson is blamed for terrorizing/brainwashing the youth from their good christian teachings

RAGE AGAINST THE FUCKING MACHINE

Garth Brooks reinvented country and that brought a new era of Country/Western

Willie was singing to the taxman and Johnny Cash still had a bit more in the tank

Jerry Garcia was still on tour

Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Wu-Tang, Cypress Hill and so many more perfected gangsta rap

Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, grunge in general

A girl that was slightly interested in you + DMB = 2nd base minimum. Hell yeah I was a fan

Techno kind of became a thing with Daft Punk, The Prodigy, The Crystal Method, Aphex Twin, The
    Chemical Brothers, and Underworld, among others

Even ska made a run at it with Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake, and No Doubt (before Gwen fired the horns)

Punk had a moment in the sun with Green Day, The Offspring, NOFX, Pennywise and Dropkick Murphys

Some older bands still held relevance and were throwing down like R.E.M. (hit their mainstream peak), U2, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty made a comeback, even fucking Meatloaf showed up out of nowhere.

I was too young to know what got the milfs and cougars going, but I'd imagine Kenny G and Yanni might have helped.

And the 90's went out with the emergence of Napster 1.0. Pirate all the music you can while you can because we're breaking the mold tomorrow.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Don't even get me started on the meters. I will, I will.

And I was 4 rows back for this:

I think there were 750k people there. It was a fucking zoo. I was just left of that white press tent way up front right of stage with a blanket and my "girlfriend". Got there at 7 am, got a couple falafel and a couple 40's at the bodega and put down a blanket. Shit filled in beyond my imagination. Way beyond what I could see.

I used to play this as my closing on my late night radio show way back in the day. No wonder why I got into EDM:

I had no idea that this shit could be made. It was an entire frontier beyond floyd. This was in 1992.

If you want to get really old, I think Jax and I posted on ttips maybe back in the 90's. I think so. I actually know that. Still haven't met her.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 05-13-2022 at 02:10 AM.