Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    These are two excellent stations out of ATL:
    Dude. There was only one.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  131.7 KB
    "Can't you see..."

My wife just texted me a meme that said Dazed & Confused was released in 93 and set in 76 so a comparable movie today would be about the class of 2005.

I remember parking on some road just outside of Lollapalooza at Great Woods (MA), along with a bunch of others, just so we could kind of hear Pearl Jam live.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    Dude. There was only one.

Name:  capture.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  131.7 KB
    Heh, I remember 96 Rock. There's a giant sticker for it on the counter at the pizza place down the street that I always notice.

Speaking of FM stations that had a HUGE impact in the 90s, look no farther than WMMS, The Buzzard 100.7 out of none other than Cleveland, Ohio. Perennially ranked the #1 rock station from the 70s on through the 90s, the source of so much good rock, wild concerts and incredible radio (their hosts went so far as to physically cut the cable that Howard's feed came into town on rival 98.5 WNCX to get Stern temporarily off the air in town).

My girlfriend and I went to their 1994 BuzzardFest in the Flats where Green Day was the headliner. The show was free. When they hit capacity, people started tearing down the fences around the outdoor arena to get in as Green Day took the stage. Riot police were called, the stands felt like they were starting to collapse and I saw so many bottles broken over people's heads. It was wild. We got out of there and The Buzzard brought Green Day back to nearby Blossom Music Center as an apology and made the tickets a whopping $5.

https://www.liquisearch.com/wmms/his...97/buzzardfest

Lollapalooza though was all-time. Went each year from 92-95, but 94 sticks out the most with Smashing Pumpkins and Beastie Boys bringing it home. That was the top of the mountain right there.
    I still call it The Jake.

Have been going down the black hole of various 90s tunes. Was a teen through mid/late nineties and I can't hear My Name is Jonas without rolling through the rest of the Weezer Blue album, my favorite by far is The world has turned and left me here.

So many good mentioned from so many different genre's its ridiculous. Also no cell phones/social media was awesome, no FOMO and the pressures that come from that.

90's appreciation thrad

FNX in Boston was the shit for alternative rock.

I remember seeing Live live in like 91 at a small club in Boston, they fucking rocked.

While at Syracuse U, my friend and I, two hip hop loving white boys, went to all the shows that came through there and Ithaca. WuTang, BDP, Tribe, De La, GangStarr, Black Sheep, Public Enemy, Showbiz and AZ, and on and on…

The top of the mountain for me was awkwardly meeting KRS One at one show and Q-Tip at another.

We used to roll those Philly Blunts daily

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    You shut your whore mouth. August and Everything After is a goddamn masterpiece of an album. Fight me.

That said, the 90's were amazing on all fronts for music. Record stores (remember those places?) were always jumping, and everyone would cruise there and listen to their new CD's in the parking lot. I wasn't cool enough for the 6-disc changer, but I had the detachable face stereo, and a '73 VW bug with dual glass packs and a 250w amp in it. Pioneer 3-way 6x9's and a 10" sub in a box I built and put behind the rear seat. Hell of a lot of sound for a tiny car.

Some notable 90's music that hasn't been hit on yet:

Peak Guns n Roses

Just past absolute peak Metallica

Nine Inch Nails shows up and starts melting faces

Marlyin Manson is blamed for terrorizing/brainwashing the youth from their good christian teachings

RAGE AGAINST THE FUCKING MACHINE

Garth Brooks reinvented country and that brought a new era of Country/Western

Willie was singing to the taxman and Johnny Cash still had a bit more in the tank

Jerry Garcia was still on tour

Dre, Snoop, Tupac, Wu-Tang, Cypress Hill and so many more perfected gangsta rap

Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, grunge in general

A girl that was slightly interested in you + DMB = 2nd base minimum. Hell yeah I was a fan

Techno kind of became a thing with Daft Punk, The Prodigy, The Crystal Method, Aphex Twin, The
    Chemical Brothers, and Underworld, among others

Even ska made a run at it with Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake, and No Doubt (before Gwen fired the horns)

Punk had a moment in the sun with Green Day, The Offspring, NOFX, Pennywise and Dropkick Murphys

Some older bands still held relevance and were throwing down like R.E.M. (hit their mainstream peak), U2, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, Tom Petty made a comeback, even fucking Meatloaf showed up out of nowhere.

I was too young to know what got the milfs and cougars going, but I'd imagine Kenny G and Yanni might have helped.

And the 90's went out with the emergence of Napster 1.0. Pirate all the music you can while you can because we're breaking the mold tomorrow.
    Bibles of truth right here.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    The world has turned and left me here.

Best song on their best album.

I went to Greenday @blossom
    My town had a tree on the lawn there called
    The Hudson tree
    Once.it would.get dark we could sneak in and out with beers
    My girlfriends older brother was high up in the Belkin Club so we could get into the first rows with stubs

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    My wife just texted me a meme that said Dazed & Confused was released in 93 and set in 76 so a comparable movie today would be about the class of 2005.
    No. Just no.

still have a thing for girls in combat boots I blame that on my upbringing

but this song fuck over and over the summer of 94 kids from high school would sublet rooms in college town every night started with a 22oz rolling rock after work on the porch then spiral out of control from there

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    I went to Greenday @blossom
    My town had a tree on the lawn there called
    The Hudson tree
    Once.it would.get dark we could sneak in and out with beers
    My girlfriends older brother was high up in the Belkin Club so we could get into the first rows with stubs
    Another Hudson native? Nice.

Blossom was, and still is, a fantastic venue. Situated in the National Park and extremely lax perimeter security back in the 90s. The summer before leaving for undergrad my buddies and I would routinely park our car down the road from the valley gate and sneak in through the fence back by the far corner of the lawn and have people buy us beers. We never even knew who would be playing. The time we snuck in and it was Lilith Fair was good for a laugh. Those ladies loved buying us kids beers though.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

still have a thing for girls in combat boots I blame that on my upbringing

but this song fuck over and over the summer of 94 kids from high school would sublet rooms in college town every night started with a 22oz rolling rock after work on the porch then spiral out of control from there
    Ugh, I hated that song pretty quickly, but now and then comes on the radio and the nostalgia comes flooding back. Sadly think I know all the lyrics from hearing it so much. I was in HS in '94 and they even played it over the loudspeaker one day before first class bell. Know it's overplayed when that's happening.

Damn, started a new thread and didn't see this one existed already. Guess mine got deleted and not merged.

Nobody had cell phones, and nobody had digital cameras. The odd time you'd see a developed photo someone took of you somewhere, and it was so cool thinking back to that event which would have likely been 6 months ago. Having to meet up with friends at a predetermined location and time, people were late sometimes, so you'd end up hanging with others doing the same shit. Things seemed to move quickly back then but in hindsight were still quite slow. The internet comes out, and it was such a cool, wild-west kind of place, with all the chat rooms and weird websites and personal pages and stuff. Think like your favourite ski resort before Vail came along and wrecked it.

And the cars - the 90's had power windows, mirrors, fancy new ABS brakes, airbags, and if you ever got in one with a car phone and 6-CD changer in the trunk you knew you were riding with someone important.

The 1990's fucking rocked. Seinfeld, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and the greatest Hip Hop era of all. Get on an airplane easily, and they'd even toss you a (sometimes shitty) meal. Chicks wearing bellbottoms and tight shirts, Jurassic Park blew our minds, Sharon Stone showed us her pussy, and things were just generally less crowded. Mortal Kombat changed video games forever.

If I had a time machine I'd go back.

Back then, they made actual music videos:

My dad HATED this shizznit!

Remember Windows 95? Man this was exciting for a computer nerd like me. Windows 98 was even better. Do kids from today even know what that picture is on the "Save" icon?
    Attachment 416120

Many hours spent in these. Sometimes it could take a few visits before your desired selection was "in."
    Attachment 416122

High Fidelity captures a ton about this era (even though it was released in 2000), a frequent meeting spot was often around one of the chain record stores. Unfortunately didn't have any truly local like High Fidelity and think the 90s was really the beginning proliferation of the corporate retail growth at least in my area I grew up.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post

If you want to get really old, I think Jax and I posted on ttips maybe back in the 90's. I think so. I actually know that. Still haven't met her.
    Ttips started in 1998, so yeah. I think I first tele’d & drank with Mitch in ‘95. To keep this post relevant, Mitch had good taste in music.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

One of my favorite things about the 90s was the tech side of things. It was seriously fun to be into computers from the 80s forward, but the proliferation of the young internet was truly a blast. PC gaming was just getting going as Doom came out, then Quake (with Trent Reznor doing the track). Peak ID Software and Blizzard Entertainment before they became too big and corporate for their own good.

Caught the tail end of the whole phreaking scene before the phone systems got digitized. Was SSOOOOOO much fun making long distance prank calls from the school payphone. (Anyone else remember Blue Boxes?) The Warez and hacking scenes were hudge, and although I was a bit young to understand how or what to do, it was fun as hell to watch that whole scene do its thing.

Also being a techie was FUN and exciting back then before it became just another corporate wage slave endeavor where now you're just the modern equivalent of a factory worker. Many a software and hardware company came and went, more failing than going on to massive success, but it was still an exciting time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

pink floyd three rivers stadium spring of 94
    late to the show because we were driving all over back woods rural kentucky earlier in the day trying to buy mushrooms
    found the mushrooms ate them got stuck in traffic and had to do everything to keep sue from parking the car and start walking to the stadium her parents put her in rehab so she missed the dark side of the moon tour and was not going to miss this one
    later on we had floor seats couldn't find my roomate the three of us took turns throwing up and then had a great time

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    rec.music.phish was a creation of mine
    That was an awesome community

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    No iPhone in 2005 and we were a few years into a bullshit war, so 2005-present could be considered a comparable cultural shift to '76-'93.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    One of my favorite things about the 90s was the tech side of things. It was seriously fun to be into computers from the 80s forward, but the proliferation of the young internet was truly a blast. PC gaming was just getting going as Doom came out, then Quake (with Trent Reznor doing the track). Peak ID Software and Blizzard Entertainment before they became too big and corporate for their own good.

Caught the tail end of the whole phreaking scene before the phone systems got digitized. Was SSOOOOOO much fun making long distance prank calls from the school payphone. (Anyone else remember Blue Boxes?) The Warez and hacking scenes were hudge, and although I was a bit young to understand how or what to do, it was fun as hell to watch that whole scene do its thing.

Also being a techie was FUN and exciting back then before it became just another corporate wage slave endeavor where now you're just the modern equivalent of a factory worker. Many a software and hardware company came and went, more failing than going on to massive success, but it was still an exciting time.

Nerd!

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

And yes a Graphix bong.
    Oh man, plastic bongs. I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaleia View Post
    Oh man, plastic bongs. I remember.
    Graffix bong sing along with the cry...

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Nerd!
    100%! Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Hamms.. That's for people who can't afford "beer". It's so nasty it says "hey PBR, hold my beer".. But it is fitting because it's as bad as the Phish music is.
    We were down in Denver last week and I noticed that the Campus Lounge was hawking the nostalgia train pretty hard with a Hamm's truck. I guess it's cool now??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hamms.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	644.3 KB 
ID:	416199

In around 1998 I fell into a Black Hole called Fighter Ace. Played that fucking game for hours until it was discontinuedName:  Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 09-23-10 fighter ace game - Google Search.png
Views: 454
Size:  211.7 KB. RIP.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"