Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    How many of you went to the dark side?
    I did. But I kept thinking 'this (terrain, snow condition, etc) would be better on skis'.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    ...skiing was saved in the 90s.

The first half of the decade saw extreme skiing come into the mainstream, snowboarding helped change the shape of skis (and style) forever and for the better, and the Solly 1080, the ski that would change the sport and give rise to the freestyle disciplines we see in the Olympics now was introduced in 1997.
    QFT. Skiing was dying. The gear was shit. Ticket sales were waning. Hills were going out of business. It needed a shake up, and snowboarding was it.

Damn straight. Skiing off piste on skinny skis was such a PITA. It was like watching the early mountain bikers navigate super technical terrain. Doable, but kind of pathetic to watch now. There were outliers like Coombs, of course. But snowboards brought flotation and spinability to the masses, forever changing alpine sports.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Damn straight. Skiing off piste on skinny skis was such a PITA. It was like watching the early mountain bikers navigate super technical terrain. Doable, but kind of pathetic to watch now. There were outliers like Coombs, of course. But snowboards brought flotation and spinability to the masses, forever changing alpine sports.
    They stole our women. It’s true.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The Solly 1080
    This got me thinking. I came into the 90s rocking Dynastar Vertical Assaults and I think my last non-Solly (or Hart) ski for about 18 years were these Atomic 533ce:

Then these came out and I never looked back:

I even paired em up with these bad boys:

and the matching Force 9 bindings.

When the Super Force 9s hit, I got a few versions of the Edgar Grospiron-designed 3s and ended up picking up the stiffer 2s as well the next year:

^^^I still have these in the garage for longboard days, and they still truck.

Then these came out and skiing changed. If anyone can remember Vinny Dorian's song about trying to find them "Gimme yo 1080s, and I won't break your face" in Superpark 2, it was fact. I finally tracked down a pair from Euroland via some shop in France. Eventually got the blue versions from Japan a year or two later.

I had three pair of these, and to this day, they're one of my favorite skis ever; still have a pair in the garage as well:

(I know getting out of the 90s at this point, but hey)
    My first pair of "fat" skis, 1080 Gun Labs

And lastly, a ski I've loved so much I still ski it to this day because it's the best all-mountain bump ski I can find (we'll see next season when I step into some Faction CT 2.0s), and own 3 pair of, the CR 1080 Lab:

Skiing in the 90s fucking rocked.

[no pics mine]
    I still call it The Jake.

I was just moving a pair of '90s vintage straight skis in my garage last night and couldn't believe how skinny they looked. Nowadays they look more like XC skis than downhill.

your thoughts on 90s era shaped skis reminded me of attending various ski racing camps at Hood and Valian's in Govy had the Volant guys out font pushing their shaped metal ski "Ski the Steel!". Having a hard time finding a good image but I do recall the Volants being pretty early in the adoption of the shaped ski.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Elan SCX - 1994:

^^^ carve or DIE!!!

Entered the ‘90’s on one of these bad boys…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20A9E4EC-2E11-4CAC-B2E6-BB7AE940EC12.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	439.9 KB 
ID:	417218

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Well, the tram and a couple chairlifts on the Apres Vous side
    Yes. Of course. Tram AV Teewinot and crystal springs.

But no way to the upper mountain other than the tram. It must have been amazing. That’s a lot of terrain for one lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    But no way to the upper mountain other than the tram. It must have been amazing. That’s a lot of terrain for one lift.
    Yeah, it had to have been insane. And normal people probably could have been able to afford to live there!

I skied a pair of these 1080s, also with the Look pivots, three times last season.. True story bro!

Name:	21882497059dc0f3a8d196.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	417229
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah, it had to have been insane. And normal people probably could have been able to afford to live there!
    True. But even in the nineties JH was a summer place. Cheap lodging all over. Elk refuge. 49r etc.
    good ski bum memories
    I blame trg. And the billionaires. It’s fubar now.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I skied a pair of these 1080s, also with the Look pivots, three times last season.. True story bro!

Name:	21882497059dc0f3a8d196.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	417229
    Solly Driver or nothing.

Lol, when I rolled in ‘96 or so, everyone said it was over, “housing would never be affordable, you have to go look in Driggs”.

On that note, I was watching "Weekend at Bernie's" (don't judge) over the weekend, which actually came out in 1989, but close enough. There's a part where the two guys first show up at Bernie's massive beachfront house and the Andrew McCarthy characters says "wow, what do you think a place like this goes for? 1.6-1.7 mill?" Those were the days.

Solly Driver or nothing.
    Anything but those horrendous Solly Piilots... Had some Scream 10s, garbage...

I've got Drivers on my Cabrawler bump skis..

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Lol, when I rolled in ‘96 or so, everyone said it was over, “housing would never be affordable, you have to go look in Driggs”.
    yeah shits funny now that you look back
    remember rooms were running 350 - 450 when I got here
    I was used to rooms back east being around 180 - 250

and housing prices yeah everyone wants to live here
    but it was 90s and a free for all before tech money ruined everything

On that note, I was watching "Weekend at Bernie's" (don't judge) over the weekend, which actually came out in 1989, but close enough. There's a part where the two guys first show up at Bernie's massive beachfront house and the Andrew McCarthy characters says "wow, what do you think a place like this goes for? 1.6-1.7 mill?" Those were the days.
    Having grown up with friends whose families had massive west shore Tahoe lake fronts it’s sad now. Back in the recession of 93-94 my buddies family sold a acre plus, with three cabins on it in Tahoma for 1.6 mm. That home today would be 16mm plus.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anything but those horrendous Solly Piilots... Had some Scream 10s, garbage...

I've got Drivers on my Cabrawler bump skis..
    I had one pair of Tyrolia FreeFlexes (talk about a drag anchor) on those previously mentioned Atomic 533ce, other than that it's only been Drivers for me (or some iteration thereof); 747s, 997s, 912, 914...

I had one pair of Tyrolia FreeFlexes (talk about a drag anchor) on those previously mentioned Atomic 533ce, other than that it's only been Drivers for me (or some iteration thereof); 747s, 997s, 912, 914...
    Well the 1080 came with pivots already fitting my BSL and they cost $9.99 at goodwill, not a spot of rust or single base gouge. Looked like they were maybe skied once. Probably got 30 days on them now. Really fun ski for the small 365 vert hill I ski fairly often.

Well the 1080 came with pivots already fitting my BSL and they cost $9.99 at goodwill, not a spot of rust or single base gouge. Looked like they were maybe skied once. Probably got 30 days on them now. Really fun ski for the small 365 vert hill I ski fairly often.
    Well, despite the ACL twisters that's a hell of a deal!

They were great at one of out early 80s dorm parties, but that was their apex to me