So would it be “bad” or “rad” ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Depends on your melanin content

Will Smith's slaps cross decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    * slow golf slap *

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Winona Ryder was at her peak in the 90s.
    I’d still hit 2020s Winona

Tight

A bit of self indulgent blabber coming up - but this thread made me look back on the 90s and think of why I'm always nostalgic for my time in Montana. These decade threads kinda started out this way though, let’s bring that back. Best decades are what you did and with who, not what movies or music came out.

In ’92 I stereotypically moved out west (Bozeman) thanks to Greg Stump. A few months later I told my asshole dad I never wanted to speak to him again and in ‘93 I quit drinking. I basically stopped the bullshit and focused on what mattered. I skied 75-90 days a season and biked 5-6 days a week, and also helped start a local ‘zine and put out local ski movies. I never found people like me, an angsty punk kid with underground tastes, but I absolutely love the 90’s MT people I met. I also had a ton of redneck friends which I miss.

The Pickle Barrel was a huge part of my 90’s. Lots of eclectic people worked there, like Sarah Vowell. Owners were hands-off - no managers on shifts, no hard rules. I was the only skier there at first, ha, so I skied during the day and did night shifts while my co-workers partied at night. And I sold them my pain pills I got from being hurt skiing/biking. Win-win.

So Bridger - early 90’s - it was like a new era, as tons of lines that have’t been skied in years (maybe, who knows). We were are all naive midwestern boys ready to ski what our movie heroes like Tom Jungst had probably skied regularly. They did, but Bridger got a ton of snow in the 70’s, we slowly learned. Many of our skis were sacrificed on questionable lines that never filled in often. And there were SO many cool lines! All real short, but sweet. We eventually figured out which ones you ski all the time and which ones are good only on special years. Sometimes we asked Tom Jungst who skied what first, and when. His college day ski days sounded amazing, and all with a huge cast of unknown and well-known characters. Those guys put down so many impressive first lines in bounds and on remote peaks. The ones that were still unskied were frightening, but a couple 90’s locals were ticking them off quietly under the radar. I joined one of them for only one descent. That scene was too intense, those guys were such badasses. (RIP Hans)

Part two coming later....

Part two of two:

I also skied a lot with the college mogul team too, who for years caught the biggest air of anyone. Like real fast, balls-to-the-wall airs. It was mind-bending to watch the team hucking Dirty Rotten Cock Sucker (30’ foot cliff) as a wobbly legged newbie at 18! Like out of a movie. I learned so much from them.

We were not the best skiers at Bridger, but maybe we were the most curious line seekers. In ’95-ish the forbidden D-Route permanently opened, and the exploring started all over again. Then in ’97 a new free ride tour had a stop at Bridger. Doug Coombs competed with many unknown ripping skiers. We didn’t enter, but I was a forerunner - which was a blast. The event coincided with a huge storm and the deepest snowpack of the 90’s, so new lines I’ve never dreamed of were skied. More inspiration! Maybe raising Arizona and Goldenboy were there? I dunno.

I knew many different skiing cliques - The Ridge Hippies, the patrollers, there were an amazing amount of ripping snowboarders, and I often skied with little ripping kids like the future Olympians Wilson brothers. I miss being part of that community. Even as a distant, shy person. (I also skied with people before this board existed - MT, MildBill, and a few others who don’t post here anymore like Vinnie, Fez, and a few I forgot. And I met more in the 2000’s like Hick, Mountainman, etc)

As for summers there was mountain biking. Trails were empty. Everyone knew each other. We explored a lot (thanks Bret and Scott) often near Big Sky before grizzlies took over. There was no biking guide book (yet), you just picked a trail on the map and tried it. There was also Beartooth Pass in June, my friends ran a ski camp there. I spent months up there over the years. We built big jumps we were all afraid to hit, skied endless moguls, got way too many kids drunk (like T Hall), and explored the backcountry.

So fuck yeah the 90s were the best decade! Sure, everything is too perfect as you look back with nostalgia, but I had a blast overall. I remember a lot of shit times too but the only regret I have back then was not doing more backcountry days. I’m sure many of you had same-but-different experiences in the same years at Jackson, Crested butte, Whistler, and on and on. Back them little mountain cliques were a mystery, you only got to see glimpses of others lifestyles in movies and Powder articles. But we were all out there doing the same thing in our own different ways.

Great times. Great great times.

Same as it ever was.

It was worth the jaunt up the Hudson. I still might have a sbd that I taped. Or not.

I got no money but I've got time. I'm gonna drive west.

Fun times, and Ani was an absolute doll, even though she wanted to be punk. She really is a good woman. Melissa Ferrick too.

This one is for Jax ^^^.

1997-06-10

Melissa had way more grit and would punch anything guy when she was young. But thankfully, she knew I had Boston cred because I used to drink with her in nasty times, and really cared about her. I remember turning 30 in Boulder and giving her the best hug ever mutually. She played a washed up show in the Fox after they barely cleaned down the ring from some boxing show. There were about 20 militant lezbos and me and my ex, and I was the only one who knew all the lyrics besides drive.

Her life was a wreck after those years in Boston. We knew each other, but not where we were headed. Very good and deep times in a very 90's way. It was mutual and we knew it. I went backstage and fully asked her if she was alright. Her response was as I would say, not positive. That was the last time I saw her. I hope she is well. She either drove off the cliff, or started fucking men. I doubt either.

My last post in this thread, but the 90's were a tinder box, a launch pad, to everything. Terrorism, massive adoption of computer networks, and the end of so much. My favorite decade by far. You could smoke in bars, write someone for an interview, and still carried a check book, or rang a pager on a landline with a pizza for drugs.
    Last edited by MakersTeleMark; 06-10-2022 at 11:02 PM.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Weezer live sounded just like their cd. I mean, maybe that’s technically impressive, but it definitely takes something out of the live show when it doesn’t sound live
    I only wish the show I attended sounded remotely like the prerecorded album. Must have been a really bad night because they were just awful.

Back Hole Sun is too late in timeline for Soundgarden, as well as Spoon man, they both got so much airtime, just like anything Nirvana. It did get annoying.

90's appreciation thrad

Melissa Ferrick’s dad was my middle school math teacher, in the 90s. He was a great teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Chair 6 View Post
    Did you get tickets for this years reunion tour? A buddy saw one of the early CA shows a couple of weeks ago and said it was "epic". I am getting giddy with excitement, only 3 months away.

She had pipes.

https://youtu.be/lORX6Va32OQ

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    She had pipes.

https://youtu.be/lORX6Va32OQ

Yes!!!
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Haha. I learned to play that song on guitar and played it for the girls at some HS parties.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post

As for summers there was mountain biking. Trails were empty. Everyone knew each other. We explored a lot (thanks Bret and Scott)…

So fuck yeah the 90s were the best decade! Sure, everything is too perfect as you look back with nostalgia, but I had a blast overall….
    Hit the nail on the head for Bozeman and Bridger in the 90’s. I was there and have huge nostalgia for it. So much time exploring the ridge, then sitting on the deck at pickle barrel on the hill gazing at lines.

Brett F. And Scott H.? Bet we crossed paths.
    Our great works of human enterprise will fade away with time. The mountain will endure. ~nps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3059.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	419271

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3059.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	282.4 KB 
ID:	419271

Couldn't be any more realer than that

Was having a,depressing conversations w a buddy last week after we found out someone we knew well we really didn't know kinda turned breck upside down

Some how we got to talking about dumb shit we did as teenagers to lighten the mood

He won with his ghost rides drunk as fuck they'd drive from Frisco to breck with the car lights off in the middle of the night in high school so the cops wouldn't see them.

True. So much of what made the 90s the last great decade immediately relate back to the fact that you could just not be readily found. You went off to do dumb shit, like get blindly drunk in a field and left for dead when your ride slipped away to get some tail, no one would know about it unless you were dumb enough to get caught, someone said something, or you know, died.
    I still call it The Jake.

90's appreciation thrad

So good. My truck is old enough to have cd player and this album remains in pretty regular rotation.

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

True. So much of what made the 90s the last great decade immediately relate back to the fact that you could just not be readily found. You went off to do dumb shit, like get blindly drunk in a field and left for dead when your ride slipped away to get some tail, no one would know about it unless you were dumb enough to get caught, someone said something, or you know, died.
    The number of times shit just miraculously “worked out” is something I probably haven’t spent enough time reflecting on.

Right? I just got back from a ski trip with an old high school buddy and while reminiscing about all the stupid shit we did, we were absolutely dumbfounded how we weren’t dead or lost by 1998.
    I still call it The Jake.

Right? I just got back from a ski trip with an old high school buddy and while reminiscing about all the stupid shit we did, we were absolutely dumbfounded how we weren’t dead or lost by 1998.
    Shocking ain’t it.