Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    One bittersweet part of the 90s for me was how great my beloved Cleveland Indians were.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...that-never-was

They got the still-gorgeous Jacobs Field in 1994 and went on a hell of a tear, selling out 455 straight games, ripping the cover off the ball, winning the AL Central 5 years in a row from 95-99 (with another in 01, 07 and of course 16), winning two AL Pennants during that time in 95 and 97, and finding a new way to rip out the hearts of an entire city thanks to Joe fucking Table.

Sigh, Roll Tribe.
    Then this happened

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8X0EpWLPupI

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I didn't like Seinfeld when it came out. There. I said it.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Question for TCQ fans: where was the missing wallet allegedly left and what was in it?
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    El Sugundo, but I can't remember what was in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Jimmie hats.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Ask Bonita Applebum.
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    She's still got my wallet... in El Segundo with jimmi hats
    Gotta get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Yeah I didn’t watch it at the time, mostly because of that lame ‘jaunty’ base line they used at transitions. Had teal polo shirt vibes.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Woulda been the wrong decade when it came out. They hit a stride in the middle of the run that makes some of the first season hard to watch in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Gotta get it.
    Anybody else got a pair of these?

Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    teal polo shirt vibes.
    At least he didn't pop the collar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sfeldpolo.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	258.5 KB 
ID:	417065

I never really liked it. Don't get me wrong, I recognize that it is a brilliant show, and has supplied so many things to our lexicon. But ultimately, it was a show about people who were not good people. The final episode drove this home for anyone who didn't get it. So to me, they were all unlikable, which just didn't work for me. At least, that's the best explanation for why it isn't one of my favorites, though I have seen most of the episodes.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Never like Seinfeld -- in living color?
    Genius

Here's a show i watched a lot of... J Lo and Jim Carey started here..

She was Jenny from the block in those days.

Name:  IMG_1732.JPG
Views: 410
Size:  16.5 KB

Anybody else got a pair of these?

I was rockin these babies in my hypercolor shirt and hammer pants.

Name:  Image1653169851.671836.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  47.5 KB

Name:  Image1653169860.501816.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  49.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I never really liked it. Don't get me wrong, I recognize that it is a brilliant show, and has supplied so many things to our lexicon. But ultimately, it was a show about people who were not good people. The final episode drove this home for anyone who didn't get it. So to me, they were all unlikable, which just didn't work for me. At least, that's the best explanation for why it isn't one of my favorites, though I have seen most of the episodes.
    Most good TV shows are not about good people.

That said, I will say that a lot of the episodes have not aged very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I never really liked it. Don't get me wrong, I recognize that it is a brilliant show, and has supplied so many things to our lexicon. But ultimately, it was a show about people who were not good people.
    To me they were believable people. Okay, Kramer was a bit over the top, but that was his role.

Everyone hated the finale because it really didn't jibe with the rest of the series. That made them all out to be worse than they normally were.

seinfeld was almost cancelled after the first two seasons
    I can't stand larry david but seinfeld was the waiting for godot of the 90s

Quote Originally Posted by fastfred View Post

seinfeld was almost cancelled after the first two seasons
    I can't stand larry david but seinfeld was the waiting for godot of the 90s
    I love the Godot reference

Never thought about that. But it’s the best way to describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Woulda been the wrong decade when it came out. They hit a stride in the middle of the run that makes some of the first season hard to watch in comparison.
    Had to google the timeline: 89-98

I'd seen his standup and although he was good, the material was just glib observations, and petty annoyances. Plus, as you noted, his acting was terrible.

But setting that aside, it was just completely unrelatable as someone fresh out of college, chronically underemployed, of no fixed address, with a revolving cast of roommates. I'd see that show and think, 'what the fuck is the problem with these people?!' Barely working, yet living in Manhattan, dating a constant stream of hot women. Friends that would do pretty much anything for each other. They're living the dream! And yet they're completely caught up in triviality.

I did eventually see the genius of Larry David's writing, and went back and binge watched the entire series.

As for them being unlikeable, I'll just say this: Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Has Blues Traveler been mentioned yet?
    Do you remember JG puking in a box at the Roseland show? He may have shit his pants on the drive home? Good times.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Regarding summer concerts:

If either the Black Crowes or Jane's is anywhere near as good as they used to be, go see them. Two of the better live bands I've ever seen.

There were a few years where the Crowes would only play in 1000 people or less venues, sometime around 1997. I saw them twice at La Luna in PDX (maybe 500 people?) during this era and was absolutely floored both times. Saw them again at a bar in Boise around '04 and they still had it.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Got to 3rd base for the first time at a Steve Miller Band concert (or possibly Rusted Root) at the Coca Cola Starlake Amphitheater in Burgettstown PA.

Have yet to wash that finger.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Do you remember JG puking in a box at the Roseland show? He may have shit his pants on the drive home? Good times.
    I sat on a curb outside the Warfield Theatre in San Francisco once and shared a 40 of Miller High Life with John Popper. I was working as an usher for the Jerry García show that Blues Traveller (or maybe just Popper, I don’t remember) opened for. I got canned for buying my underaged friend a drink, and they kicked me out. Popper wasn’t allowed to watch the show from the audience ‘for security reasons’, so he left, and came outside. Random, but true. Strange life moment.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This one's gonna transport you right back:
    https://youtu.be/fXJc2NYwHjw

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Had to google the timeline: 89-98

I'd seen his standup and although he was good, the material was just glib observations, and petty annoyances. Plus, as you noted, his acting was terrible.

But setting that aside, it was just completely unrelatable as someone fresh out of college, chronically underemployed, of no fixed address, with a revolving cast of roommates. I'd see that show and think, 'what the fuck is the problem with these people?!' Barely working, yet living in Manhattan, dating a constant stream of hot women. Friends that would do pretty much anything for each other. They're living the dream! And yet they're completely caught up in triviality.

I did eventually see the genius of Larry David's writing, and went back and binge watched the entire series.

As for them being unlikeable, I'll just say this: Always Sunny in Philadelphia.
    Helps to remember Jerry hates sitcoms, including his own. No question they opened the door for a broader spectrum of things that just focus on funny and actively try to avoid any moral take. Stand-up as a genre certainly wasn't hurt, either.

The entire show was basically an ironic riff on the inanity of everything human, including the main characters--and most of all sitcoms. That's what made Jerry's half-grin and awful acting work: it was a constant reminder of what's really going on without breaking the fourth wall (much). As he got a little better at it they wrote him more absurd lines (a la Kramer) which was usually a little funnier. ("Come on, Kramer, I dug Fredo up--now let's cut him open!!")

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Got to 3rd base for the first time at a Steve Miller Band concert
    a picker
    a grinner
    a finger
    a sinner

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Yes! We were fucked man!