Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fernie Beta?

Fernie Beta?

Heading to Fernie this weekend for a quick weekend away from the kids. Does anybody know which trails are rideable currently?

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

waxman just posted that madcow / proctor was riding well (and busy)

Fernie got snow in that last weather cycle, Cranbrook might be better option?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    Fernie got snow in that last weather cycle, Cranbrook might be better option?
    That's what I've heard as well. Fernie friends were heading over to Cranbrook to ride. Most trails in Fernie are still holding snow.

Fernie holding snow doesn't bode well for Tour Divide in 30 days. I imagine Koko Claims is still under a few feet of snow.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I'd say the provincial park is out. Montane to the hut is open and you can ride carpal tunnel. My kid was lapping Contra a couple days ago (have to ride up, no shuttling at this point)
    Ridgemont is slowly opening but stay off ecoterrorist.

Mad Cow and Swine Flu are both good to go.

It's hot today and guys are out shoveling snow so maybe more open by the weekend?
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Fernie holding snow doesn't bode well for Tour Divide in 30 days. I imagine Koko Claims is still under a few feet of snow.

elk pass will be "sporty" as well.

but that is what they signed up for. its NOT supost to be easy or fun

OMG Fernie trails have amazing names.
    Do I really need to get a passport to go ride them? I'm an American, come on!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post

The melt has been super slow on the Montana side as well. I've almost gone skiing instead of biking...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    OMG Fernie trails have amazing names.
    Do I really need to get a passport to go ride them? I'm an American, come on!
    How the hell do you not have a passport? All the good trails are in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    How the hell do you not have a passport? All the good trails are in Canada.

and heath care, and ketchup chips,

https://www.narcity.com/32-popular-c...-united-states

Perhaps some of Kimberley (Bootleg) and definitely Swansea in Invermere would be the call for more DH oriented terrain.

Swansea is pretty fun, There is also the XC stuff on the way to Pano to make it a weekend. I wouldn't say either is the best BC has to offer but it is a rain/snow shadow and hoodoos look cool.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Food recs for Fernie? Got a week there teed up for mid July

Quote Originally Posted by Dumbest Known Time View Post
    It's almost impossible to have a bad meal and there is something for everyone(ish) (no real seafood or fried chicken) one of the best reviewed sushi restaurant in western Canada is here, Yama Goya. By the time you get here the new mexican place will be up and running. Fernie Hotel for lunch specials. Loaf for lighter fare. Brickhouse for "pub" style, Nevados for tapas (there is a campaign to have them do their burritos full time). Steakouse for meat. Happy Cow for ice cream and Bean Pod for artisinal chocolate. If you're here on a date take ypir sweetie to Island Lake Lodge to close the deal
    There are more this just a start.
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

I'm sure Waxman knows better than me, but my favorite is the Himalayan Spice Bistro - solid indian food. Curry Bowl is good too, but it's pretty small.

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    It's almost impossible to have a bad meal and there is something for everyone(ish) (no real seafood or fried chicken) one of the best reviewed sushi restaurant in western Canada is here, Yama Goya. By the time you get here the new mexican place will be up and running. Fernie Hotel for lunch specials. Loaf for lighter fare. Brickhouse for "pub" style, Nevados for tapas (there is a campaign to have them do their burritos full time). Steakouse for meat. Happy Cow for ice cream and Bean Pod for artisinal chocolate. If you're here on a date take ypir sweetie to Island Lake Lodge to close the deal
    There are more this just a start.
    Solid list, much obliged. The sushi joint is definitely going on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm sure Waxman knows better than me, but my favorite is the Himalayan Spice Bistro - solid indian food. Curry Bowl is good too, but it's pretty small.
    Part of why I asked is because last visit I never left Spice Bistro. It's definitely going to be on the tick list

Curry Bowl for sure, real good nasi goreng there. The New Mexican place ( forget the name) is super busy and popular, never been but gets good reviews

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wow. No mention of the blue toque? Is it still there?

Also, thanks for the info. Some of those trails will work perfect and some of the restaurants weren't on my radar!

Man I need to plan a trip back up that way.

Side note/ some 20+ years ago a bunch of friends did a Whistler to Fernie ski trip from MT. Didnt have a place to crash the last night so asked around on the lifts and it was mentioned that the guy who watches the parking area for Island Lake Lodge is usually cool we people camping. We head up that way and eventually talk to said guy. He says no problem, then smiles and says you boys picked a good night we're having a keg tonight. They had shoveled steps down to the creek with candles lighting the way. Proceeded to get hammered with a bunch of drunk and shrooming Canucks. Next day got vehicle torn apart for 5hrs on our way back in to the states. /end thread drift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    Curry Bowl for sure, real good nasi goreng there. The New Mexican place ( forget the name) is super busy and popular, never been but gets good reviews

Now that it's been mentioned twice, is this a classic Mexican food joint that opened recently? Or are they slinging New Mexican food like green chile? I'm expecting the former but would be very interested in the latter.

Hasn't been mentioned: I do love a pre-ride big bang bagel sandwich.

Now that it's been mentioned twice, is this a classic Mexican food joint that opened recently? Or are they slinging New Mexican food like green chile? I'm expecting the former but would be very interested in the latter.
    https://nevados.ca

This is the one I was referring to. Again I haven’t been ( attempted to go but was a 2 hour wait) but it looks good. For sure along the lines of new wave Mexican.

Disclaimer: I love Nevados food, it is the tapas style place I mention above. However I also want to be filled up when I eat at a restaurant so find the serving size lacking (it's just me it seems, my family and friends love it) it's more spanish fusion mexican than "real mexican"
    Chilangos just opened full time yesterday may 12 so i can only go by what the people who got an early tasting last weekend say and it's supposed to be good
    Blue Toque for breakfast for sure, there is a reno going on right now so can't comment on when it will be open again.
    Big Bang is awesome of course, order for pickup or you will smell like bagels for the entirety of your visit.
    Curry Bowl I'm indifferent to because as mentioned I want to fill up and i find to many stir fry sprout/slaw style filling and not enough substance, again just me as friends and family enjoy it.
    Himalayan Spice Bistro is amazing too, we're good for once a month take out on average.
    As I said it's hard to have a bad meal in town.
    fire

rails are for trains

www.theguideshut.ca

Curry Bowl is amazing. I'm not a small person and my wife and I share samosas and two curries together.
    Nevados is fantastic, but agree that they should do burritos full time. I've gotten seriously fucked up in that place on the drinks alone. It's always a good time.
    I had a _HORRIBLE_ meal at Yama Goya over the winter, and I don't know wtf is going on because normally it's pretty decent.
    Everything else waxman said is on point. It's really hard to eat bad. Just stay away from Boston Pizza lol.

We rode a couple laps on swine flu/mad cow area and are currently sitting at Boston Pizza... I mean Nevados.

Apparently there was a bear attack up cemetery yesterday...@waxman would you recommend Montane area still or something else for tomorrow?