Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Fernie Beta?

Yeah I’ve had a massive increase of bears on the trail cams at our place in the last week. Carry bear spray!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    waxman just posted that madcow / proctor was riding well (and busy)

Fernie got snow in that last weather cycle, Cranbrook might be better option?
    Is there decent riding in Cranbrook? I've ridden the community forest which I thought was poorly laid out XC trails and South Hill which was kind of fun. Inlaws live there and whenever I visit I just go to Bootleg in Kimberley which is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Is there decent riding in Cranbrook? I've ridden the community forest which I thought was poorly laid out XC trails and South Hill which was kind of fun. Inlaws live there and whenever I visit I just go to Bootleg in Kimberley which is awesome.
    for DH like bootleg: no

for newer type XC, try the star wars loops. Chewbacca (CW), R2Dtour (CCW), Loop skywalker (CCW) and ewok and roll (CCW)

Or drive to Sawnsea in invermere.

Any update on this bear attack?
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Word was that it was somebody with a dog. The bear attacked the dog but no word on whether the dog made it. Cemetery bypass was closed for a few days so we ended up riding montane/carpal tunnel area instead.

We saw plenty of dogs over there also.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Sorry i'm not on here every day.
    Yes, bear attacked a dog in Ridgemont/Kiddy Up supposedly protecting a kill site? Rumor mill has it that the dog has since died (but it's Fernie so could be wrong). Honestly it's not uncommon to see bear sign every ride and a bear every other ride. Usually it's their butts running away but I have had a black bear pace me along Kush for a couple hundred meters once. Carry bear spray and make noise is all I can say.
    Dogs I have my own issue with as the number of times I've heard " don't worry it's friendly" as a land shark comes tearing at me is innumerable. Once a monthish I'll have someone come in the store with new bite marks from one of the "friendly dogs" running loose on the trails. As a dog owner it drives me nuts.
    Bonus is if you read any of the "when bears attack books" 85%+ of the time when a human is attacked it's because their dumb dog provoked the bear.
    More and more of the higher plateau trails are getting ride able daily, hopefully the long weekend weather stays or gets warm.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

for DH like bootleg: no

for newer type XC, try the star wars loops. Chewbacca (CW), R2Dtour (CCW), Loop skywalker (CCW) and ewok and roll (CCW)

Or drive to Sawnsea in invermere.
    is the mount baker loop worth it? Heading to cranbrook for two days with my wife. We’ll probably tool around the community forest Saturday afternoon.

Looks like an easy ride back to town from the baker DH. Thought maybe she could drop me at the bottom of the climb road and go north to find a hot spring while I ride it.

Quote Originally Posted by singlesline View Post
    is the mount baker loop worth it? Heading to cranbrook for two days with my wife. We’ll probably tool around the community forest Saturday afternoon.

Looks like an easy ride back to town from the baker DH. Thought maybe she could drop me at the bottom of the climb road and go north to find a hot spring while I ride it.
    Mnt Baker? not sure.

Mnt Baker? not sure.
    yeah this ride: Mount Baker Downhill on Trailforks https://www.trailforks.com/trails/mount-baker-downhill/

the one comment says it is a “right of passage” for cranbrook rides, but who knows what that means.

odds are its old school "point and skid" 1000+m down in 7km? ya, a bit steep.

Odds are not a berm in sight, rutted out single track

Sounds amazing

OG pirate gnar ftw

We’ll see how I feel in the heat tomorrow. recent Trailforks ride log puts it a bit over 4 hours as a loop, most is which is spent climbing, m which I don’t really want to do if it is in the upper 80s

Wife had a good time today riding a little calm green/blue loop in the community forest. I might just go back and explore the other stuff, maybe the Star Wars trails.

came across a little jump line that looks quite new and wasn’t on the map. 2 minute climb, fun to lap a few times but still mellow enough my wife could roll through.
    Name:  508E4DB1-942C-4770-90BF-A99E08AD05C6.jpeg
Views: 114
Size:  136.7 KB

Thinking of heading north and spending 2-3 days later next week in the Fernie area with the wife. Any rec's for boondocking area/parking the van and Must do 2-3hr XC/trail rides? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    Thinking of heading north and spending 2-3 days later next week in the Fernie area with the wife. Any rec's for boondocking area/parking the van and Must do 2-3hr XC/trail rides? TIA
    Finding good camping sites reasonably close to town has become increasingly difficult in fernie, but try heading south of town on coal creek road.

For a 2-3 hour loop, I'd probably loop around in the provincial park area. Up stove / mushroom head / lactic, down slunt and brokeback, back up gorby on the other side, down verboten. That sort of depends on your definition of an xc/trail ride though.