Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    anyone know what the Mill Creek status is? heading up to Targhee next wknd and hoping to get some laps in on it.

Mill is good to go. Lots of closures up there for the new lift though. I've heard conflicting info on what's gonna be open as far as traversing from the base area to the top of Mill. Colter's is definitely closed though.

I hiked up Lithium on Saturday to the top of the woods section. And according to Instagram a bunch of people rode it from the top the same day. Saw zero snow, no blowdown either. Rode up Blacks about the same distance. Yep, there will definitely be some post-holing on the ridge, but the trails themselves seem good to go both from my experience, and according to the social medials.

I agree, July 4 is usually the "Lithium goes without swearing too much at snow" deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    anyone know what the Mill Creek status is? heading up to Targhee next wknd and hoping to get some laps in on it.
    Ya it's good to go, but there are limited ways to get there due to the new Peaked lift. AJ's is open but there's too much snow in Andy's still, then 38 and Colter's are closed for now- only way down to Mill Creek from the top is Rocky Mountain Way, or Cold Springs.

I ran into Andy out in the Bigholes and he says there will ultimately this summer be reroutes on Colters and 38 as well as occasional closures when they are flying lift pieces around. I am ok with that, haha.

Over and out. Going to ride my bike over in the Centennials...

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Ya it's good to go, but there are limited ways to get there due to the new Peaked lift. AJ's is open but there's too much snow in Andy's still, then 38 and Colter's are closed for now- only way down to Mill Creek from the top is Rocky Mountain Way, or Cold Springs.

I ran into Andy out in the Bigholes and he says there will ultimately this summer be reroutes on Colters and 38 as well as occasional closures when they are flying lift pieces around. I am ok with that, haha.

Over and out. Going to ride my bike over in the Centennials...
    thx for the beta!

Thanks for the beta, all. I kept checking the MBT site and it still showed the June 3rd conditions. Now it shows updated (of course).

Bummed to miss the pass bash, I've never been able to join one for one reason or another. Riding Around the Rock again this year. If anyone else is going, say hi. I'll be hard to miss in the pink sweet cheeks jersey on red salsa warbird.

FWIW, since I asked the Q here: I rode Black's yesterday, so assume Lithium the same. Three patches of snow left on the climb, easy to walk over (not around) and the descent was clean.

Want to send a big shout out to BYNF crews, everything, and I mean everything, has been cleared here on the JH side. It has been wonderful.
    But I don’t want to talk about the brutal grooming of the (climbing) Hoback trail at Teton Village. From what I can tell, it is now an Uber-beginner/kids XC dh trail. That was a bit of a bummer.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Red Creek loop in excellent form. Did I mention the flowers?

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

Just an FYI, I believe every ‘No Ebikes’ sign has been taken down on Teton Pass. (At least I didn’t see any) Anyone know what’s up with that?
    Insurrectionists, or a shift?

Around here the mopeders deface or remove every sign they see. The trail org put a request on their website asking people to stop, but it clearly hasn't worked.

I bet those idiots think that they can legally drive 450 mph when they add a spray painted 0 to a speed limit sign.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

If’n you are planning to do Skyline soon, wait a few days. There were about seven trees down on the East-West (down to Game Creek Divide) section. Blowin’ my Strava, Yo!

rideit- I was just about to do that ride, so thanks for the beta. Up game down wilson it is

Latest word is that Mail Cabin to Mike Sell is 98%, still a few snow patches getting to the ridge but nothing dire.

Here's one pic from today at Targhee. Had some friends from the city who were absolutely floored by the views from Buffalo Soldier zone. Not a bad backyard...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LW Buffalo Soldier MGrove 20220705.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	627.3 KB 
ID:	420775

Latest word is that Mail Cabin to Mike Sell is 98%, still a few snow patches getting to the ridge but nothing dire.

Here's one pic from today at Targhee. Had some friends from the city who were absolutely floored by the views from Buffalo Soldier zone. Not a bad backyard...

Name:	LW Buffalo Soldier MGrove 20220705.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	627.3 KB 
ID:	420775
    Right on. I rode Mill to rocky mountain way and back down Monday morning before heading home and that scenery doesn't get old!

DH race at Targhee Saturday on Blondie (best trail at the 'ghee). Come party! If you don't want to race, but do want to view a spectacle, I'm gonna stash a backpack of beer and noise makers for spectators on the course, so you don't even have to carry your own chainsaw and beverages. If you do want to race, but don't want to pay full price, reach out, I held a fundraiser at the 5th Street event this spring, and have a few hundred dollars left to pay race entry fees for anyone on the fence about racing! Come party!

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    DH race at Targhee Saturday on Blondie (best trail at the 'ghee). Come party! If you don't want to race, but do want to view a spectacle, I'm gonna stash a backpack of beer and noise makers for spectators on the course, so you don't even have to carry your own chainsaw and beverages. If you do want to race, but don't want to pay full price, reach out, I held a fundraiser at the 5th Street event this spring, and have a few hundred dollars left to pay race entry fees for anyone on the fence about racing! Come party!
    That is rad.

So, I rode Lithium last night, and it was honestly the most blown out, dusty, and stutter-bumped I have ever experienced since ‘00. Hope they can repair it. If you are showing friends around, I would skip it for now, or at least until there is moisture.
    In other news, Phillips Ridge to Canyon is still in pretty damn good shape, given how dry it is.
    Any other reports? Teton County ID conditions?

‘22 Teton Region Cycling Thread! Don’t Choke On The Smoke!

On Saturday I rode up Philips Ridge, to the pass road, to Blacks. Plan was to ride Lithium but was feeling a bit beat so opted for the easier way down. First time riding it and it was pretty beat to shit IMO. Most of the corners up top were rutted (assume someone rode it in the rain at some point) and thick with moon dust. Got a bit better in the trees but not before some more overgrown meadow sections. Still pretty fun.

Agreed, Philips Ridge rode great on the way up and I can only imagine the canyon is in similar shape.

Almost thought I may have crossed paths with you on Arrow as I was making my way down to the pass road but they weren’t on a RM

I have always heard Blacks is much tamer than Lithium, and it was, but I definitely wouldn’t say it’s a beginner or intermediate trail. Wish I would have known that before dropping so I could have let the tourist family up there know. Dad seemed like he would probably be fine, but mom and younger son most definitely walked a lot of it. Probably took them 2hrs to get down.

forgot these

Name:	Image1659481304.699108.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	194.5 KB 
ID:	422936

Name:	Image1659481322.178386.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	194.6 KB 
ID:	422937

Name:	Image1659481333.638377.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	422938

Name:	Image1659481344.961889.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	193.8 KB 
ID:	422939

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    On Saturday I rode up Philips Ridge, to the pass road, to Blacks. Plan was to ride Lithium but was feeling a bit beat so opted for the easier way down. First time riding it and it was pretty beat to shit IMO. Most of the corners up top were rutted (assume someone rode it in the rain at some point) and thick with moon dust. Got a bit better in the trees but not before some more overgrown meadow sections. Still pretty fun.

Agreed, Philips Ridge rode great on the way up and I can only imagine the canyon is in similar shape.

Almost thought I may have crossed paths with you on Arrow as I was making my way down to the pass road but they weren’t on a RM

I have always heard Blacks is much tamer than Lithium, and it was, but I definitely wouldn’t say it’s a beginner or intermediate trail. Wish I would have known that before dropping so I could have let the tourist family up there know. Dad seemed like he would probably be fine, but mom and younger son most definitely walked a lot of it. Probably took them 2hrs to get down.
    The upper switchbacks on Blacks are always rutted/blown out. it’s just a way to get to the better part of the trail below.
    My rationale on riding through the season is:
    get as many rides in on blacks early season for best conditions. later the upper part is more blown out and then the lower portions get overgrown even though the trail is in good shape, my knuckles take a beating on the overgrowth.
    Philips is always good I prefer to ride up the ridge and down the canyon always
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    The upper switchbacks on Blacks are always rutted/blown out. it’s just a way to get to the better part of the trail below.
    My rationale on riding through the season is:
    get as many rides in on blacks early season for best conditions. later the upper part is more blown out and then the lower portions get overgrown even though the trail is in good shape, my knuckles take a beating on the overgrowth.
    Philips is always good I prefer to ride up the ridge and down the canyon always
    I've never tried to ride up Phillip's Canyon, have you?

Headed out tomorrow to clear deadfall on some cool obscure trails southeast of Pole and southwest of Mike Harris that are crucial links for interesting loops/point to points in that zone.

Thanks, HMS!

Elbow and upper North Fork of Palisades Creek are clear. Get creative with loops back there in God's country.

Hey, anyone familiar with Cariboo Jack…are there feed and water stations, or do you have to pack your own?
    Thanks in advance!

Elbow and upper North Fork of Palisades Creek are clear. Get creative with loops back there in God's country.

Awesome thank you! I may try to hit that up one day next week.