Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    The master list is on the MBT social media but not the website.

Sent from my SM-A536U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    The master list is on the MBT social media but not the website.

Once again not having social media leaves me in the dark, but at least not as bad as being the last car in the lot on the pass for an avy closure!

Worth bringing the bike for the weekend? I got a quarter inch of rain at my place last night.

Forecast looks to be a bit of a washout. Rideit's Lander trip is looking like the move right now.

Wish I had some private property around here to do some slop ridin

Bumping this back up as trails open up...

On the TV side- all of Southern Valley is good to go. Horseshoe decent but some greasy spots in the back 40 of Sodbuster and Cody's. Mill Creek to the Overlook still had some snow patches to walk, but no killer mud. Aspen Trail is my next investigation.

I also saw that Palisades Creek is good to the upper lake.

Bumping this back up as trails open up...

On the TV side- all of Southern Valley is good to go. Horseshoe decent but some greasy spots in the back 40 of Sodbuster and Cody's. Mill Creek to the Overlook still had some snow patches to walk, but no killer mud. Aspen Trail is my next investigation.

I also saw that Palisades Creek is good to the upper lake.

I hiked up Spooky today, one 20 foot snow crossing and then mud and snow after junction.

God damn, thank you mother nature for the water but please schedule a time that's not right when work gets out. TY...

Going to have to get on that 6am ride train...

Sterling Justice in Pocatello is in prime shape:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230601_122939_020_saved.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	460581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230601_130659.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	460583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230601_151348_030_saved.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	460585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230601_152717.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	460586

Teton Region Cycling Thread! Don’t Choke On The Smoke!

Wow, that looks great. First time I rode it last year there were a few sketchy hike a bikes across some decently large drifts. Such a fun traverse between the two areas.

Back to back rides this week thanks to my plea being answered.

Thursday rode SorS to the summit road to Josie’s. Way more stopping for hikers than the first time but at least the dirt was still in decent shape. Was stoked on cleaning the entire portion of SorS from the west. That section with the 3 cruxes always gives me some trouble.

Today did a repeat to the top of the king and descended Wilson Canyon. Rode it once 2 years ago and literally had no recollection of the supposed rocky section. Upon refresher, high jank factor for sure and glad I don’t have carbon cranks. The spot where West Game branches off is completely fucked by what I assume were horse tracks… Post holed to shit. It was nice to ride it before everything grows in, but idk how I feel about that trail. It surely needs more traffic to knock down the vole mounds in the burn section. It feels like it should be flowy but it’s surprisingly pedally for a mostly downhill trail leading up to the actual canyon.

Anyways, good scenery out there for sure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685679914.887668.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	460594

Name:	Image1685679944.072736.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	460595

Name:	Image1685679964.434227.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	460596

Name:	Image1685679992.344030.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	2.05 MB 
ID:	460597

Name:	Image1685680017.967013.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.18 MB 
ID:	460598

Was it cut out? I rode it all last friday and there was shittons of blow downs. Actually pushed up Wilson's because I'm an idiot.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yes, recently cleared. Didn’t have to dismount once.

Got that beta this afternoon from someone who rode it this morning

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Proof of my obstinency

Name:	5A1EE439-2C93-452E-BD59-349E1F08C5A0.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	490.2 KB 
ID:	460599

Dang, can’t imagine shlepping my bike up the canyon. I think that alone would take me over an hour. That time is insane!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

On the west side, stuff is opening up all around the valley.
    - Mikesell good to go from the bottom. Trail crew has been working on this one.
    - Southern Valley all good to go (hero dirt today but as busy as I have ever seen it).
    - Horseshoe good to go. Might still be a bit of mud on the backside of Sodbuster. Trail day yesterday on Training Wheels which is now part of the system, thanks to our district ranger.
    - Heard that Grove is good almost to the top. Will investigate soon.
    - Mill Creek open to Colter's woo hoo!
    - Spooky is clear to Corral, lower Corral good but with one big tree too big for BB's saw.
    - Going this week to investigate Mahogany for some early season aerobic to anearobic workout.

that's what I got....
    -

Thanks for the update!
    Did Jay actually authorize Training Wheels?
    Maybe another busted up tricycle needs to go up in a tree…
    are the drops still there, or has it been sanitized?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Thursday rode SorS to the summit road to Josie’s. Way more stopping for hikers than the first time but at least the dirt was still in decent shape. Was stoked on cleaning the entire portion of SorS from the west. That section with the 3 cruxes always gives me some trouble.

Today did a repeat to the top of the king and descended Wilson Canyon. Rode it once 2 years ago and literally had no recollection of the supposed rocky section. Upon refresher, high jank factor for sure and glad I don’t have carbon cranks. The spot where West Game branches off is completely fucked by what I assume were horse tracks… Post holed to shit. It was nice to ride it before everything grows in, but idk how I feel about that trail. It surely needs more traffic to knock down the vole mounds in the burn section. It feels like it should be flowy but it’s surprisingly pedally for a mostly downhill trail leading up to the actual canyon.
    Sadly, some people have been removing rocks from Wilson Canyon (and Adam's, too), and dumbing it down. We don't have many (any?) technical trails left around town, so it's unfortunate to see people reduce challenges to meet their level rather than grow into it.

If you'd like someone to show you the line to clean it, let me know. It's MUCH easier once you see it!

I was on a schedule last summer where I incorporated a Wilson Canyon into almost every ride/daily. The tech portion's really short!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Was it cut out? I rode it all last friday and there was shittons of blow downs. Actually pushed up Wilson's because I'm an idiot.
    Wilson's actually a pretty good ride uphill... except for that 2' downhill portion!

Thanks for the update!
    Did Jay actually authorize Training Wheels?
    Maybe another busted up tricycle needs to go up in a tree…
    are the drops still there, or has it been sanitized?
    Ya he evidently got frustrated with the ongoing Targhee process and quietly adopted it. I didn't go to trail day but they got about halfway to Bovine. Not sure about the jumps, but FS is trying to keep it on the down-low, so it would be great if you did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by upallnight View Post
    Sadly, some people have been removing rocks from Wilson Canyon (and Adam's, too), and dumbing it down. We don't have many (any?) technical trails left around town, so it's unfortunate to see people reduce challenges to meet their level rather than grow into it.
    Man that's a shame, can't imagine ever doing that. Those people deserve a big L card.

If you'd like someone to show you the line to clean it, let me know. It's MUCH easier once you see it!
    The first [double?] root is usually what gets me. The second two short punchy moves I can usually nail now, I think it was more a problem with my stamina than line choice. But would love to get out for a ride at some point!

I was on a schedule last summer where I incorporated a Wilson Canyon into almost every ride/daily. The tech portion's really short!

Wilson's actually a pretty good ride uphill... except for that 2' downhill portion!
    Impressive. Reflecting on it... yea you're right, the hike a bike section is probably what, a quarter mile?

Really need to find a shuttling crew for the pass. Parked at TC this morning and rode up to parallel. Kind of sessioned my way down. Previously had never hit the 3 pack before the boner log, and the boner log set. After that drove up to the top of Jimmys and had a clean run hitting everything down to TC. It's all built so damn well, major props to the trail crew. Somehow never rode the pass once last year, the work that they've done at the bottom of parallel is stellar.

FS is trying to keep it on the down-low, so it would be great if you did the same.

k
    Loud and clear...however, you did bring it up.

Loud and clear...however, you did bring it up.
    Ya I had already posted when I heard from panchosdad that they don't want it shouted. But hey, good news is good news, eh? We will just keep it word of mouth and out of further socials.

Got it. I did see it on that conditions post on 5/25, definitely caught my eye.

Managed to get out for two laps at the JHMR bike park at the end of the day today.

**Warning - heavy criticism below**

They could definitely use a break from the rain, I'm surprised they were even open TBH. A couple trails are dry but it's not a very extensive bike park, so I'd say about half is closed right now. I accidentally ended up on short portion of a closed trail and am kinda confused why there isn't any trail work being done on the wet spots... Sure, you can wait for them to dry out, but in our current pattern that might be a month from now. I don't understand what the trail crew is doing all day TBF. Maybe they're understaffed (actually I'm sure of it) or get different tasks from higher management, IDK. But these are easy areas to drain and the ones that aren't are short enough they could pop a piece of plywood down and call it good for a week, it ain't rocket surgery.

Next issue, they completely reworked (see botched) the jumps on Bandit. Like, they are almost just rollers now. That fucks up "hot laps" on Tewe because you could at least put together an upper Bandit and then hop on True Grit for a half decent jump run. Now there's no advanced trail to string that together. I'm all for beginners having trails to work up their skills on, but not in favor of dumbing down trails. Make more if your park is lacking progression... Yearning for the extension to Deer Jump, looks like they've done some work on that but who knows when it will open. Still no advanced line from the top of Sweetwater that gets you to the top of True Grit other than Dirty Hairy, and that kind of sucks.

The icing on the cake was getting shut down on last chair when I was already through the RFID scanner and about 8' from the chair when the lifty slaps the "last chair" tag on the one directly in front of me. It ain't like there was a lineup, I was alone with no one near me. Classic JONG lifty move there.

That’s super fucked up. The gate should be just that…the gate. When they turn it off, you can’t proceed.
    I remember being at the coach ordering tacos at maybe 8:45. Behind me the line went to the door. 9:00 came, and they just shut the gate, with about six people that had been standing in line for fifteen minutes being SOL.
    People were PISSED.
    I thought there was a better way to handle this, like at 8:50, tell the last person inside the door that they are the last one, and have the customer explain that to any stragglers.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-14-2023 at 11:32 PM.

This. And new bike day.

Name:	20230614_165331_012.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.94 MB 
ID:	462007

they could pop a piece of plywood down and call it good for a week, it ain't rocket surgery.
    Ha, this aged well. Trail was open yesterday with plywood down... Was able to spin 3 laps between 4-5 yesterday. Rounded off the evening with a Jimmys/Candy/Parallel.

Has anyone ventured deep into the big holes yet? I've been eyeing a traverse from Mike Harris to Palisades Creek, probably need a few more weeks to work up to that anyways.

Has anyone ventured deep into the big holes yet? I've been eyeing a traverse from Mike Harris to Palisades Creek, probably need a few more weeks to work up to that anyways.
    What would that route be? Like finish in swan valley? None of that is in the Big Holes per se unless you are planning to cross hwy 31. Unless my range boundaries are off base.