Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I'll be in town: if you want to meet up and ride somewhere around Boulder/Golden, let me know.
    Sick. I’ll send you a pm

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Anyone got a lunch recommendation in golden? Didn't dobish always shill some Jewish deli? Not looking for anything formal, rolling solo.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Anyone got a lunch recommendation in golden? Didn't dobish always shill some Jewish deli? Not looking for anything formal, rolling solo.
    I like Windy Saddle. Good sandwiches but a little pricey.

I think Dobish used to pimp D'Deli, they had a sammich named after him, the Jewzer, iirc.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I did a half at D'Deli and a slice at some wannabe NYC joint where I parked my car around the block.

Neither were mind-blowing, but they were clean, friendly, and hit some sort of spot. Had to ask for help at the pizza shop because I couldn't figure out how to get water out of the ice computer. Old dog never knew there were digitized dispensers with LED ad screens. Also, was wicked hot down there: 85. Caught up (on the phone unfortunately) with an old friend who is a prof at Mines (she was on her way to the airport to spend time with a diplomat friend in Tajikistan up in the Pamirs), and then gtfo of there. It's a super hip town and completely different than 20+ years ago. I could see spending a few years living there and doing some damage.

Also, I got super lucky on the trip: Big sign saying wreck 6 miles ahead going EB on 70, so I jumped on CCC. Little did I know that they have 2 multi-mile stretches down to 1 lane for gutter/rock work. I flew into both of those sections just minutes as they opened up. Not a soul on @I70things westbound on the way home, including cops.

What were you doing in Golden? A visit to the Taj Mahal?
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Tonics View Post
    Thanks all. Yes I had Buff Creek and White Ranch confused. I generally avoid anything near the front range (sorry) so I definitely don’t know what’s what.

I don’t think I said I “prefer going uphill” but I do prefer rides that have both up and down. Call me old-school but I like to ride my bike more than I like driving multiple cars and sitting around waiting for shuttles. Plus, I’d be fat if I just shuttled.

I generally like technical trails that have a feeling of backcountry riding to them. Sometimes I find “purpose built” trails either way too sanitized or way too rowdy. Unless they are super well made (just got back from Junction where I rode a shit ton of Lunch Loops and rides like Gunny-Loop and Holy-Cross would be examples of purpose built that I think are awesome).
    Just did the reverse of your drive so here's a conditions report:
    -everything Front Range is dry.
    -Kenosha is likely dry below ~11k. Word is there are some downed trees but being the CT and all I bet they get cleared sooner than later. You're probably not getting to Georgia Pass but you could certainly get a decent ride going either east or west from the highway. Trees are just barely budding out so it's not that pretty yet.
    -Salida: S Mountain (including Cottonwood) and Methodist are completely dry. Absolute Bikes is listing everything off the crest as under snow... but from the looks of things it can't be long before Starvation and Silver are rideable from Marshall Pass. Crest proper, as always, will be awhile.

For right in the Front Range there is a lot of fun riding but not a lot of riding that has much of a backcountry feel. There's just too many goddamn people. Trails are wide, and busy, especially after work. That said, for your 6/7 evening ride I think you would dig Bergen Peak (Elk Meadow Park in Evergreen). It's at least a little more secluded than the stuff closer to Golden, lots of technical features up and down, a nice summit, good workout, fun descent, and a little more primitive feeling than most of the other trails in the area. Plus it'll be 10 degrees cooler up there than at White Ranch.

For 6/8 meet up with smmokan and ride whatever he recommends closer to Boulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I think Dobish used to pimp D'Deli, they had a sammich named after him, the Jewzer, iirc.
    Still do I'm pretty sure. Can't say I've ever ordered anything there other than the Jewzer.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Just did the reverse of your drive so here's a conditions report:
    -everything Front Range is dry.
    -Kenosha is likely dry below ~11k. Word is there are some downed trees but being the CT and all I bet they get cleared sooner than later. You're probably not getting to Georgia Pass but you could certainly get a decent ride going either east or west from the highway. Trees are just barely budding out so it's not that pretty yet.
    -Salida: S Mountain (including Cottonwood) and Methodist are completely dry. Absolute Bikes is listing everything off the crest as under snow... but from the looks of things it can't be long before Starvation and Silver are rideable from Marshall Pass. Crest proper, as always, will be awhile.

For right in the Front Range there is a lot of fun riding but not a lot of riding that has much of a backcountry feel. There's just too many goddamn people. Trails are wide, and busy, especially after work. That said, for your 6/7 evening ride I think you would dig Bergen Peak (Elk Meadow Park in Evergreen). It's at least a little more secluded than the stuff closer to Golden, lots of technical features up and down, a nice summit, good workout, fun descent, and a little more primitive feeling than most of the other trails in the area. Plus it'll be 10 degrees cooler up there than at White Ranch.

For 6/8 meet up with smmokan and ride whatever he recommends closer to Boulder.
    Yeah, in 3 weeks he might get close to Georgia Pass if not all the way, but running a loop into Jeff Ck is unlikely. Still, a decent ride, though the descent on the CT from Georgia is not nearly as interesting as the Jeff Ck descent.

Agree that he should connect with smmokan. I'm a slow AF hack (and I know TT is not) so I didn't offer to serve as guide. As for backcountry feel, that is precisely the reason I ride West Mag over and over, it's one of the few places that doesn't have wide trails and crowds, even after work. Of course, part of that is because it's a bit of a longer drive (though not much longer) and it can be harder to navigate for newcomers. But in 3 weeks, probably the whole Roots/Rocks/Schoolbus loop will be open, which is a fun ride with lots of climbing and descending. And once you start the climb, you might not see another person. And it is 3000'+ higher than the front range, so even cooler than Evergreen. It's out of the way for a ride "on the drive", but if looking for a ride once in the Boulder area for someone who likes climbing/descending and backcountry feel, it's a pretty good choice.
    Last edited by Danno; 05-18-2022 at 12:57 PM.

I really like the Centennial Cone loop, which, in places, has a backcountry feel. Also Floyd Hill has some fun trails.

Mountain Lion at GGCSP is also a good "close" backcountry-ish ride.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Mountain Lion at GGCSP is also a good "close" backcountry-ish ride.
    I often forget about GGCSP but totally agree. I like the Blue Grouse/Mule Deer loop too (ridden clockwise).
    And also agree with Danno re: West Mag.

Wasn't that the name of one of his bikes? Seem to remember a raked out front end and a banana seat but that was a long time ago...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Wasn't that the name of one of his bikes? Seem to remember a raked out front end and a banana seat but that was a long time ago...
    Yeah, cruiser bike with a custom paint job and everything.

Jewzer:
    Roast Beef, Honey, Jalapenos, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Cucumber, Artichoke Hearts, Spinach and Olive Oil

What were you doing in Golden? A visit to the Taj Mahal?
    Thankfully not. I hate that place. I implore everyone to never have to step foot in there in any capacity. Jeffco is one fucked up district.

Met up in person with a craigslist seller who wouldn't ship.

You guys rock the beta. Thanks all.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Centennial Cone is actually a good mix of backcountry feel and probably dry this time of year. My wife loves it. I think it’s fine.

I also might be around to join a ride.

Bumping this. Leaving Durango in 30.

Leaning toward riding CT from Kenosha toward Georgia Pass, as I’d love to not drive too far out of my way to ride a trail system with a ton of intersections where I have no idea where to go. An out-and-back sounds good

But, I’m open to change my plans

Would be near Kenosha Pass around 2:30. Or Buffalo Creek or front-range areas around 3:30/4ish

Would like to ride for ~ 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Top of Georgia may have a bit of snow. You can ride it from the Jefferson Creek area and do it as a loop to save a bit of riding off Kenosha. Not far off the highway. Park near here and jump on the Coloradohttps://goo.gl/maps/2e4nuBR68fzwHGcaA

If you're willing to spend $10 -- you're driving right by Stauton State Park. You can piece together various loops and get some nice views. Here's the full loop: https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/922...clockwise-loop . If you go here and want to do less, I recommend the Eastern loop. Trails are all in good shape. I ran the full loop a couple days ago. If station isn't manned, the kiosk takes credit cards.

Depending on the heat, Salida is good option. Only 15minutes out of your way and a good place to grab some food. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/704...tech-gnar-ride

Can't imagine you're getting up to Georgia Pass yet. Lot more snow in the northern mountains than in the San Juans right now. It'll still be a nice ride though.

doebedoe has good advice, I forgot all about Staunton.

Or if you like fast chunk, you could start at Cub Creek, head up and do one of the "outer" loops at Staunton, then drop back to your car on one of the funnerest trails around.

Trailhead is about 15m off 285.

I think the CT from Kenosha is a great choice. While doebedoe is right, with a very short detour you could do the climbing part right out of the gate, that stretch of the CT starting from Kenosha is beautiful, great views, fun trail, not very technical but has a few spots with some chunk, and 2 hours is enough time to get it.

Staunton will definitely provide climbing and is beautiful, but the one time I went there I found the actual trails kinda lacking, it was all machine built wider-than-true-singletrack. But admittedly, I have only been once, a few years ago.