Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boulder for a work trip, June 7-9

I have a meeting in Boulder (err Lafayette) on 6/8. Will be driving up from Durango the day before. Returning home the morning of the 9th.

A few questions:

-I’d like to stay under $200/night for my hotel. My expenses are being watched for this project. The only place *in* boulder that fits that is the Millennium House Hotel. It doesn’t get good ratings. Would it be advisable to stay closer to Lafayette in a newer soulless sort of place? I much prefer to be closer to drinks/dinner and drive to the meeting. How bad is the Millennium?

-I’ll be bringing my bike and generally coming up 285. Where should I ride on my way up? Will Kenosha be dry? Bailey? Get to boulder area and check out Buff Park? Looking for a 2-hr ride and like riding up stuff (don’t generally shuttle)

-nightlife? Food? Drinks? Especially on 6/8 after my meeting?

-what else?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

After your meeting see if they still only allow you 2 margs at the Rio

Cant help on hotel, checked our place and they are sold out and rates on either side are spendy

The Millenium is pretty old and beat up. Never stayed there, and the last people I know who stayed there was maybe 20 years ago. Great location right on the creek, but I'd probably look elsewhere. I'm surprised that's the only sub-200 hotel in Boulder, as we have had lots of soulless hotels built recently. And the Millenium is just an older version of a soulless hotel; the soul it had probably belongs to ghosts that haunt it. Also, are you able to look at airbnbs?

Lafayette has a pretty decent little downtown scene, if your meeting is there. You could stay at the Hampton Inn out there and be pretty close to its downtown (edit: less than 2 miles to downtown lafayette).

As for a ride, Buff Creek is the obvious choice on the way, I don't know if that's what you meant by "Buff Park" (except you wrote "get to Boulder and then check that out" which would imply something different). You might also enjoy White Ranch, close-ish to Boulder on your way. Edit: the best riding occurs before you get to Boulder. Once you get here, Hall Ranch is 20 minutes north, which is great. Best riding from town is Betasso, which is nice but doesn't hold a candle to what you will pass on the way.
    Last edited by Danno; 05-11-2022 at 01:30 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

there's a Fairfield Inn on the south end of Boulder that was recently completely remodeled, it's showing as cheaper than $200. But it's not close to downtown or anything.

PM me if you have any questions that I can help with.
    Last edited by Danno; 05-11-2022 at 01:30 PM.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Riding along 285 -

Salida gets my vote. S-Mountain is awesome and has a little bit of everything. You could also check out the midland trails in BV for a more XC type ride, or Vitamin B if you want to get rad.

Kenosha I'm guessing isn't dry yet but I haven't been over that way recently. Out and back to Jefferson Creek might be good to go by then but I doubt you're getting up Georgia Pass that early.

Buff Creek will for sure be dry. Gashouse->Charlies->Sandy Wash is probably my pick for best shorter ride but there's lots of options and opinions on that.

You could detour into Evergreen which I think is way more fun than Buff Creek. Both 3 Sisters and Bergen Peak are super fun. Bergen Peak if you like an asskicker of a climb followed by a fun technical descent.

Lots more of course closer to Golden/Boulder proper but my vote is split the drive in half and stop in Salida.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post

Cant help on hotel, checked our place and they are sold out and rates on either side are spendy
    I have a fuzzy memory of the limit being 3 max, and that was dependent upon how you were doing after the second one. Funny story: went to see Sebadoh in Boulder late 90's-early 2000's, and they had to call the show after 3 songs. Turns out they visited the Rio before the show and the drummer had 3 margs and couldn't handle it, puking backstage. Saw them again in Denver a couple of years later and had to give them some good-spirited heckling, "remember the Rio". Lou got a chuckle out of that.

Penitente is another option close to 285.

Millennium house isn’t bad in a grand Budapest kind of way. The bad reviews are from entitled folks expecting more. Get a garden room on the 2 or 3 floor, probably get a good deal on top floor suite if available. There are fancier places but millennium has a great location, walking distance to Rincon Argentino, Kalita Greek, Tiffins India Cafe….

Name:  4ED2C765-200B-404C-AC83-418B93B90908.jpeg
Views: 447
Size:  170.2 KB

Name:  383CACBE-6650-4AC7-AAB3-11730B0281DB.jpeg
Views: 474
Size:  125.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    I have a fuzzy memory of the limit being 3 max, and that was dependent upon how you were doing after the second one. Funny story: went to see Sebadoh in Boulder late 90's-early 2000's, and they had to call the show after 3 songs. Turns out they visited the Rio before the show and the drummer had 3 margs and couldn't handle it, puking backstage. Saw them again in Denver a couple of years later and had to give them some good-spirited heckling, "remember the Rio". Lou got a chuckle out of that.

Penitente is another option close to 285.
    When I was in school there the limit was 3. But the smart play back then was to come for dinner, have your 3 limit at the table, then walk to the bar section and get 3 more when you're done with the meal. Still some of my favorite margaritas.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

6 of those things? Damn you can drink!

I'm calling BS on 6. Those things are made with grain alcohol.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I prefer buff creek to any of the trails in evergreen but my sister lives in evergreen so I ride Bergen Peak/3 sisters way more often than buff creek so maybe the novelty of "new to me" trails makes buff creek more appealing.

Also, I think buff creek are mtb built specific trails whereas the evergreen trail system are all hiking trails you can bike on.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I've never ridden Bergen, but have ridden 3 Sisters as many times as I've ridden Buff Creek, and I'd choose Buff Creek over and over. I like 3 Sisters, but it's nothing I'd write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I'm calling BS on 6. Those things are made with grain alcohol.
    You mean regular Cuervo?

Millennium suffices for an overnight work trip, the convenience and location factors alone make up for what it's lacking, unless you're a total pansy. Just do it and save yourself time and effort driving elsewhere.

Buff Creek for flow but remember that kitty litter can catch you by surprise if taking corners extra hot; I usually air down a little bit. Worth the side trip for sure. Shade is rare, double down on water.

3 was/is the limit at Rio but past one and the sweet/sour mix just got too syrupy for my taste. I prefer jackass/meximules anyhow. Or just straight tequila.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I've never ridden Bergen, but have ridden 3 Sisters as many times as I've ridden Buff Creek, and I'd choose Buff Creek over and over. I like 3 Sisters, but it's nothing I'd write home about.
    To each their own I guess. I like trails that have rocks on them. You can descend everything at Buff Creek other than Blackjack with your feet up on the handlebars sipping a cup of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    To each their own I guess. I like trails that have rocks on them. You can descend everything at Buff Creek other than Blackjack with your feet up on the handlebars sipping a cup of coffee.
    This is true. I prefer almost any other trails to Buff Crik.

That said, I always have fun when I *do* end up going to Buff Crik.

OP: Cub Crik will probably be ready to go when you come through - that's a delicious rocky mess if you're into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Jokes on you, my coffee had bourbon in it.

And I did suggest White Ranch if he wants to hit something more, ahem, robust.

Personally, I like riding on trails, rocks or no rocks. I love Buff Creek, and I also love West Mag (which has as many or more rocks than 3 Sisters). I like beautiful scenery. I like trails that feel like I've escaped the world. Buff Creek has that way more than 3 Sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Lame, it used to be three
    Or more...I don't remember
    Possibly overserved

2nd the AirBNB, some interesting ones avail

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2668804...tPLm0BWMPdgl0Q

I mean, Stewart's house is within stumbling distance of the Rio esp after a marg or 3, $99 leaves you a lot of room for drinks on the company dime: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1066774...vu9QooleN4jlhK

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Personally, I like riding on trails, rocks or no rocks. I love Buff Creek, and I also love West Mag (which has as many or more rocks than 3 Sisters). I like beautiful scenery. I like trails that feel like I've escaped the world. Buff Creek has that way more than 3 Sisters.
    Definitely agree, BC feels much more remote.

Only thing Tech Tonics mentioned for type of trail he prefers is going uphill, which confuses me since I view going uphill as a necessary evil not the highlight of the ride. The most brutal climbs around (that aren't under snow) are probably Lefthand, White Ranch, and Bergen (in that order). Unless it's really hot out, then White Ranch sucks the most.

Shinglemill is good climbing sans tech, if you end up at BC.

Getting up to Powerlines in Ned is a bit hilly. The 505 and 4th of July are good if you want a jeep road.

Name:  E7AD07ED-173F-483F-873A-35BCDB55E6A0.jpeg
Views: 345
Size:  15.9 KB

Name:  5AE6CF25-B3BE-48AC-A2DD-FCEF832F5EDF.jpeg
Views: 329
Size:  230.9 KB

I'll be in town: if you want to meet up and ride somewhere around Boulder/Golden, let me know.

Boulder for a work trip, June 7-9

Thanks all. Yes I had Buff Creek and White Ranch confused. I generally avoid anything near the front range (sorry) so I definitely don’t know what’s what.

I don’t think I said I “prefer going uphill” but I do prefer rides that have both up and down. Call me old-school but I like to ride my bike more than I like driving multiple cars and sitting around waiting for shuttles. Plus, I’d be fat if I just shuttled.

I generally like technical trails that have a feeling of backcountry riding to them. Sometimes I find “purpose built” trails either way too sanitized or way too rowdy. Unless they are super well made (just got back from Junction where I rode a shit ton of Lunch Loops and rides like Gunny-Loop and Holy-Cross would be examples of purpose built that I think are awesome).

So that said, I’d be able to ride the late afternoon/evening of 6/7 and 6/8.

Will prob just go with the Millenium. I like the idea of walking to dinner & drinks. And since I haven’t hung out in Boulder in ~25 years I should probably check it out.

I can’t do Airbnb as I have to book through some corporate site.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums