Thread: italy in August

italy in August

We're headed over in high season with the family and with the school schedule it's the only choice. Looking to avoid the crowds and do some hiking, via, bike, and swim, and good food of course.

We booked the Pale di San Martino hut to hut trek and looking to fill another 7-10 days. We like the looks of Sardinia but will it be too hot in August? How crowded is the Cinque Terra?

We're a family of three with our 13 year old daughter. We're booking every night as I understand it's super busy at that time. We've been to EU a couple times but never to Italy, the espresso in Courmayeur from the midi doesn't count.

Thanks for any advice!

Passo Stelvio

https://passostelvio.eu/en/home-eng/

you’re welcome.

Pm Benny

The place that you want to be is Puglia. I like Lecce, but it's all good.

https://www.neverendingvoyage.com/10...-visit-puglia/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I honk cinque terre will be a cluster in august.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Alto Adige, Stelvio... IMHO all of the areas along the Austrian border are just spectacular. I'm clueless on all of the details having only been to the general area twice. We spent a week in the very mellow area around Rasun Di Sopra, family vacation during same period you are planning. We just planned a bunch of day trips from there for hiking up to Alms/Rufugios to eat and drink. Snacking on speck all day. Just awesome.

Yeah - Cinque Terre is almost guaranteed to be a cluster in August. I'd personally check into the Appenine mountains for what you're requesting.

And it is definitely likely to be hotter than the surface of the sun at lower elevations.

Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Pm Benny
    Beat me to it. He's a local doncha know.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ps-Summer-2018

Italy starts here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...17#post5393117 ..

preceded by data around Bad Gastein. The train ride from BG to Ponte Gardena Laion/Waidbruck-Lajen is amazing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I think I would just watch Stanley Tucci: Searching For Italy. Pick the city, watch the episode, and do what he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I honk cinque terre will be a cluster in august.
    quality typo.

and true.

Great advice y'all, I'm doing my homework now and will likely follow up. Except with the benny suggestion

buster, that's what I'm talkin about! Thanks for sharing, your pics don't show up for me though, but it may not be a bad thing. My kid (and all of us are stoked!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post

buster, that's what I'm talkin about! Thanks for sharing, your pics don't show up for me though, but it may not be a bad thing. My kid (and all of us are stoked!)
    Yeah, sorry, I drafted off the instagram posts which have timestamps.
    See here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BlJInSqA3Cn/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlJI01HgZok/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlK8r9_AGrJ/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlK84h1grkc/
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BlLyR_5AUNG/

Here's a rail map of Austria. we came from Bad Gastein through Spittal and then over past Sillian to Innichen then on past Dobbiaco and Brunico. It's spectacular, lots of lift assisted hiking, several options at every stop along the way.
    https://www.vagonweb.cz/razeni/mapy/A.png (can expand for better legibility)

We stayed in Val Gardena at La Tambra, nice little hotel and just took lifts, hiked and ate and drank. Bad Gastein too, but there's hot springs there as well.

Dolomites transit, Ponte Gardena is close to Val Gardena .
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 05-09-2022 at 09:57 PM.

We're leaning towards staying in the Dolomites. We finish our planned hike and I just want to head to Cortina. Is it reasonable to spend 3-4 nights in Cortina and another 3-4 nights over Passo Gardena in Ortisei or something similar? Doing day trips from a comfortable basecamp/hotel/guesthouse sounds pretty ideal.

Any accommodation recommendations for Cortina? And Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Val Badia all look great. We're getting close and things are booking but still finding some options.

Hotel Cortina (hotelcortina.com)

Great central location, super comfortable, friendly and knowledgeable staff who gave us locals’ tips for skiing, arranged excellent guides, and learned our cocktail preferences by t,he second night!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Murian View Post
    Is it reasonable to spend 3-4 nights in Cortina and another 3-4 nights over Passo Gardena in Ortisei or something similar?
    Public transit between Cortina and Val Gardena is not easy, best to have a car to move between Cortina and Selva.

Wolkenstein/Val Gardena/Selva is better connected for public transit, easy to get to Passo Pordoi/ Badia, Campitello di Fassa, Canazei, Corvara, San Martin de Tor, and Santa Cristina Gherdëina, etc.

consider the maritime alps Monte Viso area French border. Less crowds, wolves in the valleys and supposedly really good biking. and has the sea close by.
    It's far from the dolomites though.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Slovenia for a few days could be a nice addition. Little more mellow than most of the Italian go-to spots

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Slovenia for a few days could be a nice addition. Little more mellow than most of the Italian go-to spots

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I'm planning on doing that.

3 week trip starting with a long weekend in London. Fly to Munich for a couple days, then planning to head to Bled and hike Triglav and dick around for a few days. Then head to Bologna and meet back up with friends and continue on to Cinqueterre/florence/tuscany. Looks awesome.
    Last edited by Soups; 05-16-2022 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    I'm planning on doing that.

3 week trip starting with a long weekend in London. Fly to Munich for a couple days, then planning to head to Bled and hike Triglav and dick around for a few days. Then head to Bologna and meet back up with friends and continue on to Cinqueterre/florence/tuscany. Looks awesome.
    Sweet, we went hut-to-hut in 2016 from Planica to Lake Bohinj, staying at Koča na Gozdu hut, Pogačnikov dom na Kriških podih hut, Dom Planika pod Triglavom hut and then Vodnikov dom na Velem polju hut. All were incredible, great food, beer/wine, the works. Then went onto Bled; we'd spent time in Ljubljana and Bovec before Triglav. Also awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by alpinevibes View Post
    Sweet, we went hut-to-hut in 2016 from Planica to Lake Bohinj, staying at Koča na Gozdu hut, Pogačnikov dom na Kriških podih hut, Dom Planika pod Triglavom hut and then Vodnikov dom na Velem polju hut. All were incredible, great food, beer/wine, the works. Then went onto Bled; we'd spent time in Ljubljana and Bovec before Triglav. Also awesome.
    Any recs for food/hotels around Bohinj? May also stay around there the night before/after Triglav. Planning on staying at the Dom Planika hut while on Triglav.

I will be train/bussing it from Munich to get to that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Soups View Post
    Any recs for food/hotels around Bohinj? May also stay around there the night before/after Triglav. Planning on staying at the Dom Planika hut while on Triglav.

I will be train/bussing it from Munich to get to that area.
    We didn't end up staying around Bohinj; it was pouring rain our last day in Triglav and we had a pretty sketchy 1000m of descent down the narrow track down to the lake. Our Slovene buddy picked us up there and drove us to our car at Planica. We stayed two nights in Bled, then drove down to Rab and had some nice beach days on the island.

Dom Planika hut was good [join the American Alpine Club and you'll get 50% off at all SLO huts]. Quite a bit busier than the rest of the huts we stayed/stopped at, but to be expected as a Triglav summit is many visitor's objective. FWIW - Triglav summit took us around an hour from the hut, moving quick. No need for via ferrata gear; plenty of hand holds and tons of iron. VF gear would make it a very slow process.

/drift. Italy is rad, and has so much to offer.