Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I am not amused.

I recently completed a rework of an old rose garden in my front yard. I dug up and removed a couple of older diseased plants, and put some new hybrid tea plants in their place. Finished the garden with mulch and thyme around the border. One plant was going to have some beautiful roses pop right about this weekend in time for mother's day.

Someone else also decided they would make a nice mother's day gift, and so decided to help themselves to the flowers. This morning, all flowers from that bush have been trimmed clean off.

Assholes.

This happened in a decent neighborhood in Salt lake near the U. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220506_160656536.jpeg 
Views:	169 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	415521
    sigless.

Fuuuuuck that sucks...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sure it wasn't deer?.........they do that to some of our flowers out back.

I saw a babushka dig up a plant and in a public garden the other week. Immediately adjacent the plant was a sign saying please enjoy but don't take. She was wearing black sunglasses like the thug life meme.

Wow. Assholes.

Old neighbor of mine had a mature peach tree that would yield about 100 or so peaches. She came out one day to find it picked bare which sucked for all of us neighbors since she gave them all away to us. She fenced it and put a doorbell cam on it the year following and they caught a grown ass couple harvesting them. Got em arrested too.

Run it by Art Shirk first, but I'd consider a spring gun for your next blooms.
    I still call it The Jake.

Hmmm. This may be correct. There are deer around. Gonna have to bust out in the trusty old bb gun. If this is the case,

i am still... Not amused.
    sigless.

As a home owner in an urban environment -
    I feel your pain.

Camera time. People suck.

Deer do not eat roses. At least the ones around here.
    The Azala and (just about) everything else, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    sure it wasn't deer?.........they do that to some of our flowers out back.
    My thoughts as well. That one remaining stalk looks to have browsed leaves?

First time here all our tulips have made it to bloom without the flower buds being clipped by deer. A couple of nibbles just as the leaves poked above the mulch, and nothing since. Usually only about half survive. The hound behind the fence just doesn’t care about protecting my wife’s flower bed these years.

I think i will setup a basic electric fence. Zap those fuckers.

I do think it was deer now. But I'm still annoyed.
    sigless.

stems should indicate cut vs bite

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I think i will setup a basic electric fence. Zap those fuckers.

I do think it was deer now. But I'm still annoyed.
    Careful using the old car battery setup. Last election cycle someone got zapped real good and ended up with a winning lawsuit.

How that's possible is beyond me.
    I still call it The Jake.

Yeah, amazon has cheap low power electric fence modules, and a spool of aluminum wire, 6 plastic insulated metal posts, and i should be able to knock it out quickly and be able to give those fuckers a nice zap.
    sigless.

And another deer hunter is born.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    As a home owner in an urban environment -
    I feel your pain.

Camera time. People suck.

Deer do not eat roses. At least the ones around here.
    The Azala and (just about) everything else, yes.
    Deer love to eat roses. A deer will eat the fender off your car if they were hungry enough.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Deer love to eat roses. A deer will eat the fender off your car if they were hungry enough.
    This right here.

Last winter I had a deer eat every limb on a 6’ tall spruce tree. That was a first for me.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    This right here.

Last winter I had a deer eat every limb on a 6’ tall spruce tree. That was a first for me.
    I get deer eveyday. Packs roam. But one of the more amusing episodes was when the bucks got in my back fence area. They were eating dropped apples off my tree - whole. Big bite and gulp. Saved me a lot of clean up.

Apple fed deer is fine table fare.

If it was a deer this is completely unrelated, but today I discovered my 'good' shovel got swiped out of my yard. Fucking random.

Back when Sasha the wonder dog was still alive some lady came over and she was literally speechless, just looking around with her mouth wide open. Finally she spit out, "You have tulips!" (we had hundreds of them). When I just looked at her, she added, "Nobody has tulips. They're deer candy!"

But Sasha hated deer, so we had tulips. I recommend you get a Sasha. I'd get another one of her if I could find one.

I had a Sasha, was yours a golden too?

Yeah deer suck. We wage an ongoing war with them over the garden and fruit trees too. Turkey suck too after seeds are in the ground

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Back when Sasha the wonder dog was still alive some lady came over and she was literally speechless, just looking around with her mouth wide open. Finally she spit out, "You have tulips!" (we had hundreds of them). When I just looked at her, she added, "Nobody has tulips. They're deer candy!"

But Sasha hated deer, so we had tulips. I recommend you get a Sasha. I'd get another one of her if I could find one.
    Damn. Now I want a Sasha. I don't have deer problems but Sasha sounds like a good girl.

You could walk out in the woods and see exactly where the invisible fence was buried, lush undergrowth on our side and a barren deer-eaten forest floor on the other side, she trained the deer that crossing the line was gonna be a bad idea for them.

She also hated squirrels and would lie for hours watching them, waiting for one to cross the invisible line where she knew she could get to it before it could get back to the tree. She killed a lot of squirrels over the years. Among other stuff. Groundhogs, the biggest fox I've ever seen, a couple of Canada geese, etc etc. But she was a sweetheart and super smart.

Her mother was a Czech-import German Shepherd and her father was a big black dog that climbed over a 7-foot fence to get to mom. The vet guessed that the father was some sort of Great Dane-greyhound mix. She was really something else. I miss that dog.

We've got an apple tree as well in the backyard, and they do come down there and eat those things off the ground. Eat em up. We also have a family of coyotes that lives up the hill, and we watched one come into the yard and steal a dog toy and disappear up the hill with it.
    sigless.

Those cuts look way too clean for deer. WTFF is wrong with people?
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Hard to say from the photo about cut or chew but I'd bet porch pirates on their way home from work getting something for the girlfriend.

My wife puts together one of her hand painted flower pots for the entry to our neighbors country store. For 3 years I've been zip tying the pot to the fencing so it wouldn't get pulled over. Forgot the ziptie when I replaced the "Let it Snow" pot with "Spring Flowers" pot and within a week it was gone, pot and all. The box base had a finger tight nut and bolt securing it and it was left behind. Hope the loot is cheering up a homeless camp.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flowerpot.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	415548
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.