Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Absolute chills with that win. Incredible finish to a great race.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    Anybody got video of the biting? I can’t find it.

The aerial view of Rich Strike's comeback win shows how remarkable it was. The only thing that comes to mind in an event on such a large stage happened after Mark Wahlberg left a Super Bowl at halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    Yeah, I kind of agree that the outrider should have just let go and let one of the others take over. Who knows why a horse bites one horse and leaves another one alone? Just adjust. And that aerial view is amazing. What a race.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Here ya go

That is amazing. I was bitten a few times but nothing like that. The pain was probably off the charts.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Maybe before the lane opened up, but when he was in 3rd place, there was no other contact with him from the 2 views I saw- inside the rail camera or the TV view. He moved around another horse at the turn and just had a clear run for the finish.
    Yeah, looking at it again and seeing the overhead, I agree no bump--but to outrun the other lead horses while weaving through traffic like that is damn impressive. Again, knowing nothing about horse racing it seems an awful lot of credit has to go to the jockey for finding a path for the horse to get to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yeah, looking at it again and seeing the overhead, I agree no bump--but to outrun the other lead horses while weaving through traffic like that is damn impressive. Again, knowing nothing about horse racing it seems an awful lot of credit has to go to the jockey for finding a path for the horse to get to the front.
    Jockey did amazing and he's relatively unknown compared to the legends on the other horses

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Jockey did amazing and he's relatively unknown compared to the legends on the other horses
    Jockey rides regularly from what I heard reported today at track just outside of Youngstown, OH and also at a Cincy, OH and a few at a track outsode of Cleveland. They interviewed the trainer asking if he had confidence in the rider. It was his first ever Grade 1 race mount- usually the horses he has been on have topped out at $250K in lifetime winnings from one of the articles in Oh newspapers.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...by/6552202001/

That aerial view is awesome. Jockey is going to be riding high dollar horses going forward , that was some insane weaving and it seemed like it motivated the horse to go faster.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

When a horse can see he has a lane to run in it must motivate him to go faster I'd imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    When a horse can see he has a lane to run in it must motivate him to go faster I'd imagine.
    Should do but they close quick. Sometimes a jockey is a pilot, sometimes a passenger.
    Sonny was definitely a pilot Sat
    Plus
    Depends on the horse
    Some don't like traffic, some have to lead, some bite as we saw....

No triple crown this year:

Kentucky Derby champ Rich Strike will not run in Preakness, opts for Belmont Stakes
    The Belmont Stakes sets up as a better course for Rich Strike's strengths. It's 1/16 of a mile longer, giving the horse the opportunity to close in the way it did on Saturday at Churchill Downs.
    The turns at Pimlico are tighter, making for more traffic and more potential for trouble. The furious, record-setting pace that began the Kentucky Derby — which tired out the odds-on favorites — is unlikely to be repeated. And finally, in terms of the horse's health, Rich Strike has never raced more than once in five weeks, and the Preakness would have added a race in the middle of the five weeks between the Derby and the Belmont.

Should make the Belmont more fun, always a great day out.

they should just retire that race in MD Pimlico is falling apart

they should just retire that race in MD Pimlico is falling apart
    It's definitely the most Baltimore of all the races.

Have seen that live ( maybe even that year?) and its still shitty ( see what I did there?!?)

Give me Belmont anytime, even with all the Sponsor areas taking over all the good GA space.
    Public transport, you can bring all your shit ( even now that you can only bring less officially) and people actually know how to dress.
    Its an NYC party

We used to have all our friends meet us there and bring food, smuggle drinks. We would lay it out on the benches just past the finish ( $10 GA, $5 clubhouse ticket) People used to trade a beer for a run through the buffet.

May need to go back this year. Kid has been there (and Aquaduct) as well as Saratoga & Monmouth loads of times, think he is ready for the big show. Plus think one of the horses we own 1/800th of may be running in that one so we can flash out NYRA owners cards around for fun access.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Maybe before the lane opened up, but when he was in 3rd place, there was no other contact with him from the 2 views I saw- inside the rail camera or the TV view. He moved around another horse at the turn and just had a clear run for the finish.
    late to the party here, but yeah (yes), the bump was earlier as he split two horses further back - then moved around one into third place and ran down the leaders... ! !!!

I consider it a magical race for a horse and a jockey who had nothing to lose
    ( it will never be that way for either of them again - they will always be Derby winners. and always marked as Derby winners )

( see Calin Borel. who I believe did it twice... ! )

A magical race !
    ( one of the reasons ninety years ago only Baseball was more popular than horse racing... )

( please) enjoy the races - and have a good thought for Safety !

skiJ

( I would be glad to see BobBaffert lose his trainer's licenses. )

Snice the collective has posted fuck all about the Preakness, I think this gent from Kentucky may have a point

John Clay
    Lexington Herald Leader
    Tue, May 24, 2022

OK, I’ve changed my mind.

It’s time to tweak the Triple Crown.

That’s not what I said a week go. Asked on a radio show if it was time to move the Triple Crown around, I said no. Just because Kentucky Derby winner Rich Strike was turning his back on the Preakness did not mean we should turn our back on racing history.

Then they ran the Preakness. Last Saturday’s race was good, not great. Early Voting was a worthy winner. But without a healthy Kentucky Derby winner for the first time since Spend a Buck in 1985 — especially one that captured the public’s heart by winning the “Run for the Roses” as an 80-1 shot — the Preakness was, well, just another race.

The last thing horse racing needs right now is for the second leg of the Triple Crown to be just another race.

“It boggles my mind when smart people refuse to see simple facts,” NBC racing analyst Randy Moss tweeted. “Many of today’s top horses that run well in the Derby skip the Preakness because the 2-week gap. That’s a fact. This is bad for the Triple Crown and thus bad for the sport. Another fact. So fix it.”

Problem: The sport has changed. The breed has changed. Trainers and owners just don’t run their horses off two weeks rest anymore.

The solution: Move the Preakness to the first Saturday in June, the Belmont the first week in July.

I’m not blaming Rich Strike. His connections did what was in the best interest of the horse, sitting out the Preakness to prepare for the Belmont. And Rich Strike wasn’t the only one to skip the trip to Baltimore, after all. Just three of the 20 colts who ran in the Kentucky Derby also ran in the Preakness. Blue Grass Stakes winner and third-place Derby finisher Zandon stayed home. So did Wood Memorial winner Mo Donegal.

What about tradition? Isn’t the Triple Crown supposed to be difficult? There is a reason only 13 colts have accomplished the grueling task, why we went 37 years between Affirmed in 1978 and American Pharoah in 2015. But I’m not sure it would be any less difficult if the Preakness was run a month after the Derby and the Belmont a month after the Preakness.

The fields would be better, deeper and more recognizable to the general public. You could follow the progress of a talented colt from one race to the next in a series of races, instead of three individual races. Competition, instead of stamina, would be the deciding factor.

What about the argument the public would lose interest if the races were spaced farther apart? That’s a legitimate worry, but I’m not sure it is more concerning than the drop in interest when the Derby winner declines the Preakness, or the Preakness winner declines the Belmont, as Early Voting’s connections have indicated they are likely to do.

True, resisting change for so long is what has held the sport back for so long. With the new Horseracing Integrity and Safety Act, led by new CEO Lisa Lazarus, there is a golden opportunity to change the sport, to make it not just safer but more united and easier for the general public to follow and trust. There’s an opportunity for a fresh start. The same opportunity exists for the Triple Crown.

After all, Pimlico is about to undergo a major renovation. The powers that be aren’t spending millions just to see the Kentucky Derby winner stay home. The track’s owner, 1/ST Racing, is reportedly open to the possibility of changing the Preakness date in hopes of drawing more interest from connections who ran in the first leg of the Triple Crown.

NYRA, which runs the Belmont, appears more hesitant. “We have to be very thoughtful about any proposed changes,” NYRA CEO David O’Rourke told the Thoroughbred Daily News.

Thoughtful, yes; resistant, no. When it comes to the Triple Crown, change should be the name of the game.

Snice the collective has posted fuck all about the Preakness, I think this gent from Kentucky may have a point
    Completely agree with all of that.

I watched the Preakness, but only just for the moment before the race, and for about a minute afterwards. It was completely non-compelling for the following reason, which is a shame for the horses that ran:

"Just three of the 20 colts who ran in the Kentucky Derby also ran in the Preakness. Blue Grass Stakes winner and third-place Derby finisher Zandon stayed home. So did Wood Memorial winner Mo Donegal."

The sport needs a unified governing body, and a long look at how it needs to change to keep it interesting.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-05-03 135244.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  71.1 KB

Based on names, My money is on Rocket Can and Two Phil's
    However many are in a shit ton.