Thread: Holy skins help

Holy skins help

First, I did some searching on this, but couldn't find anything...
    While I love the weight and packability of my Pomocas, they definitely don't like me tip toeing over rocks. (My old thicker BDs held up much better.)
    Anyway, thoughts on best way to fix a hole (1st pic)? I was thinking a small bit of gorilla tape on the sticky side and then epoxy over the hole on the plush side... lose a tad bit of traction, but keep the hole from spreading. For the small edge ding (2nd) pic... just cleanly slice around it? Burn the edge to seal the fray like a rope?
    Thx much for any help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skins1.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	415354

Name:	skins2.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	415355

Next time stick with the Climb Pro S-Glide, the Free Pro 2.0 backer is too thin . . . good luck with the fix.

PS That's not really a knock on Pomoca, all the light skins I've tried have had durability issues (BD Ultralight Mix, G3 Minimist, etc.). Better to drink one less beer a night.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    PS That's not really a knock on Pomoca, all the light skins I've tried have had durability issues (BD Ultralight Mix, G3 Minimist, etc.). Better to drink one less beer a night.
    wise words from a wise man!

In terms of a fix, there's a thread on here somewhere talking about using a sailing needle to fix torn skins, but usually you'll have localized glopping on the repair site.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

I agree with Greg. I enjoy my Free Pro 2.0, but I think there's a good reason why they only come in 123, 140; they're not really meant for bushwhacking.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

Here's what I did with my same skins with similar issues. I just put repair tape (Tenacious Tape?) on the bottom of the tear and did nothing to the plush side, I don't think you really need anything on that side. I think it would be even better to remove the glue, then put the tape on, then reglue over that. you'd probably get a tighter closure of the cut. For the cut on the side just cut it our in kind of an ellipse. I've used these about 20 days since doing this and no issues. However, these skins have become my back up, rock skins not so much because of the cuts but because the glue is worthless after 2 seasons, but thats another story.

Name:	IMG_4438.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	990.3 KB 
ID:	415367

Name:	IMG_4439 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	898.4 KB 
ID:	415368

Name:	IMG_4439 2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	898.4 KB 
ID:	415368
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4440 2.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	726.2 KB 
ID:	415369  

Bingo, tape it is! That makes sense. I've done my fair share of sewing and it’s hard enough without working around glue. Although I guess I could scrape the glue first. Anyway… my intent was to be more careful with these - easy to say when you buy em, harder to follow out in the field!
    Thx

Years ago I used dental floss and the longest needle I could find for a repair like that. Lasted as long as the skins did.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Years ago I used dental floss and the longest needle I could find for a repair like that. Lasted as long as the skins did.
    I actually ran some regular thread through it, then tape, then glue. Guessing that thread won’t last too long. Good idea on dental floss

Paging Doctor Aquaseal.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I sewed up a rip in a pair of ultralight BD skins a few years back and it held up find.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Paging Doctor Aquaseal.
    yeah i know you guys are all dentists but i've seen atempts at sewing and the stitches pull on the skin or whatever being sewn, i don't care how much your practice made last year, I don't recommend sewing any thing with dental floss as a permanent fix

AQS with a patch on the glue side or on the inside of any gortex piece, i wrote a whole fucking thread about fixing your fucking gear with aqua seal

remove a bit of glue in the are with a heat gun & scraper, aqs a patch on the rip or hole, overlap the boo-boo by 1/2 inch, smear some goldlabel over the patch let cure over night, the fix will be permanent

pict of fixed plush side, the area around the cut has a minor amount of AQS bleeding thru on plush but its nothing and this will never come apart

Name:	skin11.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	415643

patching the glue side using some dryer sheet from the laundry room garbage can or some thin ripstop nylon would also be good, sipping a pinot grigio here

Name:	skin3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	657.7 KB 
ID:	415644
    Last edited by XXX-er; 05-07-2022 at 04:34 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thats a good fix but it wouldnt work on my bd ul mohairs. The rip was more than half way from one edge to the other. 90⁰ from the edge lenth. It ripped across not lengthwise. Dental floss and a big ass curved needle worked and held for years. Prob still working with the skis i sold them with.

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Aqua seal held for a year on a mid skin pomoca tear. Could still be holding, I sold the skins

I bet sutures (prolene?) would work really well

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thats a good fix but it wouldnt work on my bd ul mohairs. The rip was more than half way from one edge to the other. 90⁰ from the edge lenth. It ripped across not lengthwise. Dental floss and a big ass curved needle worked and held for years. Prob still working with the skis i sold them with. ]
    it would totally work with a bigger piece of material to back the rip, I would use a piece of backing the width of the entire skin with a couple inches of overlap

and it wouldn't look like ass
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    it would totally work with a bigger piece of material to back the rip, I would use a piece of backing the width of the entire skin with a couple inches of overlap

and it wouldn't look like ass
    Possibly, i never thought about it again other than a quick glance when they were going on/off.

Last edited by grinch; 05-08-2022 at 06:24 AM.

I remember it looking like thisName:  crazy-for-you-lace-bustier-1159357-original.jpeg
Views: 212
Size:  46.2 KB