Fixed vs Portable Solar for RV?

Any RV/Van owners out their using solar? If so whatcha got?
    We have a hybrid that's "solar ready" and debating on fixed roof panel(s) vs portable "stand" type. We're in utah and do a lot of our camping (boondocking) from moab to the tetons. I like the idea of installing on the roof and just forgetting about it but would obviously require some additional labor w the risk of leaks or blowing off if not done properly (would DIY). downside is not maximizing sun potential although w portable, i'd need to move a couple times a day to maximize and not always practical if we're gone from camp. anyone w experience w either or?

A combination of both is probably best. Parking in the shade at warmer temps or because of campground layout is an issue for mounted panels. As for the portable panels the wire run cuts down on the amps, is subject to theft, needs to be placed, perhaps moved, and then replaced and stored in the RV. I would start w fixed panels and see how that plays out and then decide if you need the portable. Another consideration is how fixed panels might interfere w rooftop storage.

I installed a permanent panel on my truck camper. It was not difficult to do (either the attaching securely or waterproofing part) and provides me with plenty of power pretty much everywhere I camp. Although, I don't have high power demands. Only time I've run out is winter (snow on panels and more electrical demand from the heater). I can't imagine having to fuck around with portable panels.

I just fixed one easy to do. Used this for wires.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0111...b_b_asin_title also used 5200 marine sealant on all the holes and around cable entry gland. I would think it would be beneficial to have the panel charging all the time.
    off your knees Louie

Some good inputs in the main RV thread in ski/snowboard forum, so search for ‘solar’ in that thread.

The nice thing about roof mounting is it’s charging most of the day without any conscious effort on your part. That adds up over time.

If you do post in the main thread, you might want to include pics or a description of your rig to get better advice. My solar wiring passes though an existing threaded opening on my roof, no sealant reqd.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Fixed vs Portable Solar for RV?

Panel on roof, ran the cable through a waterproof deck fitting from a marine store. Drilled a hole in the housing for the backup camera, instant access to inside.

Big fan of the fixed panel in my first solar setup. Kept mine simple, panel >charge controller>big fuse>shut off switch> fuse block>battery. Totally separate from vehicle system.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I will always say that your charge controller is more important than panels. After fucking around with shitty charge controllers, I bit the bullet and and got one of the victron charge controllers. It is amazing and has blue tooth data monitoring with your phone. You will not regret this decision. Your batteries will thank you for it.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I installed a permanent panel on my truck camper. It was not difficult to do (either the attaching securely or waterproofing part) and provides me with plenty of power pretty much everywhere I camp. Although, I don't have high power demands. Only time I've run out is winter (snow on panels and more electrical demand from the heater). I can't imagine having to fuck around with portable panels.
    Same here. Have never had an issue staying charged up. My only heavy usage is water heater for hot showers. My charge controller pulls from both solar panels and/or alternator when driving. I never pay attention to where I park. Another vote for permanent mount first and see how it goes.

When we camped we were almost always parking in the shade on purpose. Rooftop wouldn’t have helped much. But if you camp in the desert or where your camper can be in the sun, rooftop would be sweet.

Even without repositioning a portable you will still get ideal direction and angle. Repositioning can make a pretty big difference if you need extra.

What I found over a few years.

Roof top/fixed-always on the car, always catching rays (maybe not optimum due to shade, angle), was a good supplement to the bank. Never really ran out.

Suitcase panels-was great when I remembered to put it out and was around camp getting drunk and it was a game to catch the most sun. Not great for when parked at home as a battery tender, not great if I was worried about theft.

My neighbor with a van just installed a fixed panel after screwing around with a suitcase for a couple years.

You live here. Fixed.

I've had fixed in the past, and portable, prefer a mix of both. Also depends on size of battery bank. If you can get a good charge while driving, then park in shade for a few days.......

A nice Honda 1000w or 2000w generator is frequently used for me in the winter.

thx all. dug into things a little more and looks like there are connections already on the roof (not sure if proprietary or not) and a spot inside on the wall marking where to cut out the wall and access the wires (and i'm guessing install the controller). so leaning toward the fixed based on that. my boss has a portable a may borrow as well just to try out.
    we're mostly camped in the sun (utah) and just don't go if weather looks crappy as we're usually biking or climbing. do have a small genny that i've been taking w me for now and used it a few times on some of the longer trips.
    whats everyone using for panel wattage? wondering if 200w is enough. have 2-12v batteries right now (debating lithium in the future). max trip is around 4-5 days. main power draw is if we run the heater early morning to take the chill out. otherwise just lights, fridge (propane) and very rarely the water heater (although may use more if i can).

I had 200w and that seemed sufficient. I had 4 6v though so a bit more in reserve.

The answer to mounted or portable is of course BOTH! You need a quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    thx all. dug into things a little more and looks like there are connections already on the roof (not sure if proprietary or not) and a spot inside on the wall marking where to cut out the wall and access the wires (and i'm guessing install the controller). so leaning toward the fixed based on that. my boss has a portable a may borrow as well just to try out.
    we're mostly camped in the sun (utah) and just don't go if weather looks crappy as we're usually biking or climbing. do have a small genny that i've been taking w me for now and used it a few times on some of the longer trips.
    whats everyone using for panel wattage? wondering if 200w is enough. have 2-12v batteries right now (debating lithium in the future). max trip is around 4-5 days. main power draw is if we run the heater early morning to take the chill out. otherwise just lights, fridge (propane) and very rarely the water heater (although may use more if i can).

You can add up your electrical loads and subtract that from the capacity of your battery bank keeping in mind that ~50% of the banks (lead-acid) capacity is not available. Lithium battery banks can supply 85-90% of their rated capacity.

One would guess that under mostly sunny skies and limited use of the heater the 200w panel and your battery bank should be more that sufficient to end the trip w fully charged batteries.

Dumb question, is it bad (or good) for the battery to have it charging every day? I.e. while parked in storage when not in use?

Quote Originally Posted by slcdawg View Post
    Dumb question, is it bad (or good) for the battery to have it charging every day? I.e. while parked in storage when not in use?
    With a proper charge controller, it will go to a trickle charge once the battery is close to fully charged and "maintain" the battery. It is good for battery health.

Cool, that is a nice bonus feature.

I'd buy a charge controller capable of running the amperage of two panels, and running sufficient wire gauge for it, but starting with just one. That way it's easy to just wire a second panel in series if you decide you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I'd buy a charge controller capable of running the amperage of two panels, and running sufficient wire gauge for it, but starting with just one. That way it's easy to just wire a second panel in series if you decide you need it.
    this is what i was thinking. looking at a kit that comes w/ a 190 W panel and a 30 amp controller. seems like that would cover an extra panel at some point.

My setup is a 100Ah lithium battery and two 100W solar panels. This typically runs a dometic fridge, lights and charging USB devices. When out camping I've never seen my battery drop below 85% with that usage. Using my water heater for a shower will quickly drop it from 90% down to 45% or 50%. But it is usually back up to 90-100% after a full day of sun.

Your electric heater and water heater would pull the most power. As mentioned it is easy to calculate how much power these draw for a typical amount of usage and how much 100W or 200W of solar might pump back in in an average day. If solar input isn't enough to recharge during a trip you can either add more solar, add more battery capacity, or HTFU and just be cold in the mornings : )

Somebody mentioned quality of charge controller. That’s what kept me from buying a renogy kit, I got a Victron controller and some panel that I don’t remember the brand. Panels are dumb, controllers are smart.

My slide in camper (Northern Lite 9.6) came with a 95W panel and charger. I don't find it useful since I try to park in the shade when camping. Any shade on the panel cuts the output. It's probably does the best charging when I'm on the highway.

According to the charge controller it's around 3A in the sun. I might get 3-4 hours a day of direct sun.

I added a DC power meter to the battery to get an idea of the consumption. With the fridge (propane), hot water (propane), entertainment center, smoke and CO2 detectors, some furnace time at night and all LED lighting the camper uses around 25Ah per day. I bring a 1,000W generator and upgraded to 2 6V batteries (230Ah).
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.