Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Car camping folk: any organizational tips/best practices? We've got limited space even with roof box and it all turns to fcking mess in short order.

these look useful and hip, but too much $$ https://rux.life
    Always organize your gear at home in this order: survival, comfort, fun*. Then break into categories-kitchen/eating, sleeping, hygiene, activities, etc. Then see what fits and try to organize it with the most used stuff towards access.

*comfort and fun are interchangeable depending on goals.

Quote Originally Posted by indyjones View Post
    Car camping folk: any organizational tips/best practices? We've got limited space even with roof box and it all turns to fcking mess in short order.

these look useful and hip, but too much $$ https://rux.life
    I used a combination of small to medium clear plastic totes and foldable hard sided shopping bags. I like the clear totes because I can see what is inside, and I like the smaller ones because I’m not needed to reach underneath items on the top to find what is at the bottom. If you have ones that nest with each other you can strap them together with a lightweight tie down which works really well for stacking them up and not having everything fall over.

The grocery bag/box things turned out way better than I thought they would be, because unlike a bag they don’t fall over, can be stacked, and protect fragile food items. Then when you need less space they fold flat which is amazing. They also have long shoulder strap for carry heavy stuff out to the car which is better than a tote If they had a cover to hold items in they would be the ultimate.

https://www.instacart.com/products/2...-tote-bag-each

I’ve found the bigger totes to be a pain because you can’t fit them in odd spaces, in the roof box, etc. small boxes and soft bags pack way more efficiently. This is in the context of car camping with two people in a compact SUV - and actually sleeping inside the car much of the time - so space is at a premium.

This reminds me that as simple as it is, sleeping in the car is one of my favorite ways to camp if it needs to be in a campground or near a road. You can some of the benefits of sealing out noise/rain, not needing a large or flat campsite, but with way less hassle and not need for a specialized vehicle. Pretty good if you are traveling each day. Obviously you’re not pooping in there (unless you are desperate) and it’s way less plush than a van, but I was amazed how much we liked doing this after I built out a simple convertible bed platform thing. That was when we were just a couple, so we will see how things go with a +1

Timely thread, we sold our Escape 19 last year for similar reasons. We owned it for five years, averaged 35 nights a year in it, and kept it in our driveway. It was great, and made some cold desert trips awesome. But I was getting tired of the ongoing maintenance and all of the hassles with towing something that have been well documented in this thread.

And yes, it required much more planning ahead in the last couple of years as sufficiently large campsites were harder to come by.

We bought it when our kids were 3 and 5.. The trailer was awesome when they were younger (and smaller) but less of a benefit as they grew.

New setup: Springbar tent with Exped Megamat and Thermarest Mondoking pads. They pack huge but are super comfy. I really like the Springbar but if I did it again might consider something lighter/smaller simply to save space. Marmot Halo was on the short list when I was looking.

We also have a sleeping platform in the SUV and a couple of backpacking tents that we’ve mixed and matched to suit the type of trip and number of people. We take a portable toilet if needed based on location, and bug shelter (Nemo?). Pretty easy to tailor the setup to a given trip and weather. I’ve thought about a light RTT to sleep two on top and two in the vehicle on some trips, but not there yet on the cost/benefit ratio compared to our current options. It seems stupid to have that thing living on the roof most of the year for a moderate reduction in setup/takedown time. I also have zero GOTOs points and would like to keep it that way.
    Last edited by canyonrider; 05-06-2022 at 11:15 PM.

I should also say that we have no regrets so far. The one time when I knew we would miss the camper was our annual Thanksgiving week pilgrimage to southern Utah, so for that we rented a ridiculous custom truck camper for less than our trailer’s annual insurance and maintenance costs.

What kind of yearly maintenance do you need to pay for on your trailer? All I do is blow out the water lines every fall. We're lucky we have plenty of room to store it, and insurance is like $100 a year.

our tolerance for uncomfortable sleeping conditions has dropped precipitously as we’ve gotten older.

I tried the big REI cots last year for car camping but ended up returning them after one outing
    They slept fine, but took up a TON of space in the tent & had terrible space to stuff bags underneath (braces everywhere)
    Storing them was a PITA
    They didn’t fit side by side in the truck bed when deployed — too wide & leg configuration couldn’t avoid wheel wells. Also took up a lot of space when folded during travel

Any recs for a cot that:
    - packs down reasonably
    - Fits in one half of a truck bed
    - Ideally <14” tall to clear wheel well but still leave head room under standard canopy
    - Isn’t a web of useless space underneath to stash things
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    our tolerance for uncomfortable sleeping conditions has dropped precipitously as we’ve gotten older.

I tried the big REI cots last year for car camping but ended up returning them after one outing
    They slept fine, but took up a TON of space in the tent & had terrible space to stuff bags underneath (braces everywhere)
    Storing them was a PITA
    They didn’t fit side by side in the truck bed when deployed — too wide & leg configuration couldn’t avoid wheel wells. Also took up a lot of space when folded during travel

Any recs for a cot that:
    - packs down reasonably
    - Ideally <14” tall to clear wheel well but still leave head room under standard canopy
    ?
    I like the Coleman Packaway cot. Not crazy big or heavy but pretty comfy. Like the optional little side table too. 80 x 44 x 17.

Coleman Pack-Away Camping Cot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043AK0O4...NQ3GVMJS4Y3SWC

Car camping travel trailer vs tent

Not what I expected from Coleman—looks pretty clean
    & price isn’t silly like the ultra light offerings I’ve seen
    Thx

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    What kind of yearly maintenance do you need to pay for on your trailer? All I do is blow out the water lines every fall. We're lucky we have plenty of room to store it, and insurance is like $100 a year.
    Insurance for our Escape was around $700/yr. I was also paying a local guy to repack the bearings every 12-18 months, and with four wheels that was around $400 each time. In the last couple of years of ownership we had to replace the toilet valve, replace a water supply line, replace a dome vent, repair cords for a couple of window shades, and replace the tires (all five) because of age. Most of this I did myself, but it was becoming a huge time suck. Probably coming up on new batteries as well. Plus winterizing/dewinterizing a couple of times each spring and fall, and washing/waxing the fiberglass 1-2 times a year.

If I was retired without kids no biggie, but with a busy dental practice and kids sports, etc. it was not how I wanted to spend my free time.

I think the most surprising part of this thread for me is that you all have insurance on your campers. I guess I've only ever bought campers that were cheap enough that I didn't need to deal with financing.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

Storing them was a PITA

Any recs for a cot that:
    - packs down reasonably
    ?
    I like the Coleman Packaway cot. Not crazy big or heavy but pretty comfy. Like the optional little side table too. 80 x 44 x 17.

Coleman Pack-Away Camping Cot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0043AK0O4...NQ3GVMJS4Y3SWC
    That Coleman has center support so will hit the wheel wells. Here’s an option I’ve used for back of truck and river trip sleeping.

https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots

Packs up the size of a cheap camp chair, plastic mesh so can get wet and dries really quickly, not crazy expensive and two will fit in a truck. Downside-setup is a little weird but you’ll get the hang of it.

I'm just having a hard time imagining a wife who would still want to go camping when her accommodations change from a 21' Escape to a tent.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    That Coleman has center support so will hit the wheel wells. Here’s an option I’ve used for back of truck and river trip sleeping.

https://www.camptime.com/collections/cots

Packs up the size of a cheap camp chair, plastic mesh so can get wet and dries really quickly, not crazy expensive and two will fit in a truck. Downside-setup is a little weird but you’ll get the hang of it.
    That looks like it might work

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I think the most surprising part of this thread for me is that you all have insurance on your campers. I guess I've only ever bought campers that were cheap enough that I didn't need to deal with financing.
    I didn't finance it but the insurance was so cheap I got it anyway.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    this is a great thread. Funny how so many people are chiming in with the 'age goes up/tent camping goes down' takeaway (unless adventure related). Totally in that boat. We had a nice class B for 4 years (Travato) initially the family (2 kids + spouse) was all in. Quickly degraded into me coming back from a trip saying how awesome it was and the rest of the family saying how miserable they were cramming 4 humans into a class B. Sure, I vividly remember how awesome it was on our maiden voyage, pulling into camp in a gnarly storm, all cozy cracking beers and listening to tunes while cooking a nice meal inside, watching some poor souls struggle with a tent through our double pane window. But, the use just wasn't enough to justify an expensive additional vehicle. We're now fully in the "you can stay in a LOT of hotels for the price of a camper van" crowd. My kids still bitch about how 'fun' it was sleeping on that puzzle bed and feeling smothered in wet gear hanging everywhere after a day of proper PNW skiing in a 90% water density snow storm haha. First world problems x10

Yeah my teens still enjoy camping but they have jobs and way less time so we use the trailer less. But my wife and I will use it a lot once they're gone, we have lots of trips planned. Looking at trading in the bunkhouse Hideout for the 20RDWE model with the dinette and couch in the rear. That would be perfect for us and still towable with my Tahoe.

True you can buy a lot of hotel rooms for the cost of a camper but those rooms run $400-$500 in Montana during summertime these days.

I didn't finance it but the insurance was so cheap I got it anyway.
    No financing here either, but given the cost (and replacement cost) of the trailer I figured it was worth it.

Car camping travel trailer vs tent

We’ve got a pop up - Fleetwood Bayside so on the larger, heavier end of things which does limit locations a little more than other options.
    Used it a fair bit first few years. I swear the first dozen times we used it it rained and rained hard and we were thankful to be inside with a roof, decent canvas sides and heater. Did a couple of longer trips in the camper that were much less expensive than hotels and much more enjoyable than in tents. But also spent more than I’d like fixing stuff on it.

Now kids older, more organized sports, more other activities and we haven’t used it in a couple of years. Despite in theory being all ready to pack up quick and go camping it really isn’t that simple - still takes longer than I’d like to get organized and setup and break down is time consuming enough to annoy me. And since most of our camping is bike trips but we lose our hitch rack with the trailer so need a roof rack solution for bikes which is inconvenient and eliminates the fuel efficiency/aerodynamics of a small low profile trailer . As I write this realize I really need to get rid of it.

So if you’re a camping family and will use it enough then a camper of some type is really nice but think about storage issues. If you’re an occasional camper and/or a family with lots of other activities I’d say hard pass.

Seeing as our trailer is worth more than either of our cars insurance is a no brainer.
    The 20 ft trailer is still too small to be fun to hang out inside during crappy weather so it really functions as a super nice tent. I am leaning towards selling it and buying a cheapie ~$5k tent trailer that we can store at our house with the view that it is a big easy to setup tent with a fridge and toilet. Most tent trailers are actually bigger inside then the escape and have bigger beds and natural light. Should be easier to tow and better mileage reducing that complaint and the lower value plus not paying for storage makes the financial side seem reasonable.

True you can buy a lot of hotel rooms for the cost of a camper but those rooms run $400-$500 in Montana during summertime these days.
    The cost of Airbnbs and such in the PNW seems to have doubled in the last two years. I’m all for renting a cabin/hotel if going somewhere when the weather is poor, but have experienced some extreme sticker shock of late. It’s apples/oranges but does affect the calculus a bit.

That, and if I spend $2k for a week in an airbnb / hotel, that money is gone. If I buy a used camper for a reasonable price, I can use it for 6 years and then sell it for ~60-70% of what I paid for it.

If I had to shell out the better part of a grand every time I wanted to get away for a long weekend, I'd end up staying home a lot more. With the camper, the cost of leaving for a weekend isn't really a consideration at all.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    That, and if I spend $2k for a week in an airbnb / hotel, that money is gone. If I buy a used camper for a reasonable price, I can use it for 6 years and then sell it for ~60-70% of what I paid for it.

If I had to shell out the better part of a grand every time I wanted to get away for a long weekend, I'd end up staying home a lot more. With the camper, the cost of leaving for a weekend isn't really a consideration at all.
    I suppose much like a season pass there is a sunk cost mindset which reduces that mental barrier to getting out each time.

What did I learn?

Camping means different things to different people

You can buy the "Yeti of plastic totes" for $275

There is probably a pretty good market for a Camping Coach

You could also sell poops in groover to $10

Another approach is a utility trailer set up for camping. All the camping gear goes in in the trailer and there's room on top for bikes, boats or whatever. A friend built his so the kitchen was at one end. He could attach an awning too.

And like others said -- a tent you can stand up in and cots to get off the ground.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

I relate to much of this thread as camping has evolved from a dirtbag to husband to dad. Don’t need to add to all that, but we did just upgrade to a larger trailer and will be selling our 2004 Coleman Tucson 8 ft pop up with axle flip. If anyone is looking for a small rig that will still get into some tight spots shoot me a message. Located in Durango.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2050.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	415633

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums