Page 9 of 64 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Post 200 in this thread.

This entire thread misses the whole problem.

When I graduated HS in the mid-70s it really did not matter how much you borrowed or what your major was, wages were so good you could pay off whatever loans you had in 2-3 years.

Income inequality is the problem.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    It's one of the problems. Though as you see, plenty of boomers and others talking about all the bootstraps they pulled on and how today's kids are soft with zero regard for the data that refutes them.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    So similar financial and government structures like Scandinavia wouldn't facilitate 14-16 years of public funded education AND daycare.. and maybe even healthcare?? Weird..
    Do you know how taxes are structured in those countries? I think you would be a little hesitant to promote their system if you knew.

Hint: for the most part they have a flat tax rate (not graduated like we have in the US) and most people never see 45-50% of their income because that goes straight to the gubmint. Then there's a Value Added Tax on most goods purchased (except food) that ranges from 16-20%. So the Scandinavians are generally working for 6-7 months a year without any income. And again, they can't pick art history as a major if they are going to university on the government dime. If that's acceptable to you, then their system works. Most Americans wouldn't like that system.

There's a reason all the high-earning sportsball players from Yurp are residents of Monaco....

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    It's one of the problems. Though as you see, plenty of boomers and others talking about all the bootstraps they pulled on and how today's kids are soft with zero regard for the data that refutes them.
    Oh, some of us sure do love us some BOOTSTRAPS.

It’s absurd how much we pull on them. I wish these kids could find their bootstraps, then we wouldn’t have these problems.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Do you know how taxes are structured in those countries? I think you would be a little hesitant to promote their system if you knew.

Hint: for the most part they have a flat tax rate (not graduated like we have in the US) and most people never see 45-50% of their income because that goes straight to the gubmint. Then there's a Value Added Tax on most goods purchased (except food) that ranges from 16-20%. So the Scandinavians are generally working for 6-7 months a year without any income. And again, they can't pick art history as a major if they are going to university on the government dime. If that's acceptable to you, then their system works. Most Americans wouldn't like that system.

There's a reason all the high-earning sportsball players from Yurp are residents of Monaco....
    what does being able to structure image rights and other things through offshore corps have to do with anything

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I’m retired now, but in my final year of working my hands-down best employee was a 22 y/o recently graduated with ridiculous major (Sustainable Development ???), closely followed by a 19 y/o HS grad with no plans for any further education. Both had fantastic work ethic and were a joy to work with. I think the kids are going to be alright.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

<snip>

That's probably because we Americans don't like being happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

I’m retired now, but in my final year of working my hands-down best employee was a 22 y/o recently graduated with ridiculous major (Sustainable Development ???), closely followed by a 19 y/o HS grad with no plans for any further education. Both had fantastic work ethic and were a joy to work with. I think the kids are going to be alright.

My two kids in college are currently attending MSU and working as a forklift driver at Lowes and a mattress delivery dude. Most kids, indeed, will be fine.

They apparently got a good work ethic from somewhere... must be my wife.

Yes. raise my taxes, and EVERYONES We all feel the pain and we all get the benefits of it.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

When I graduated HS in the mid-70s it really did not matter how much you borrowed or what your major was, or even if you graduated or dropped out, wages were so good you could pay off whatever loans you had in 2-3 years. That’s impossible now.

Income inequality is the problem.
    Sort of. Wages have increased slightly but college costs are much higher (in inflation adjusted terms). So total loan amounts are much higher and it takes longer to pay them back. Which does increase income inequality - children of the wealthy don't have loans to pay back and can immediately start investing in a 401K, saving for a down payment, etc..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106968880-1635799559954-College_costs_vs_Earnings.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	415142
    Last edited by teledad; 05-02-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Yes. raise my taxes, and EVERYONES We all feel the pain and we all get the benefits of it.
    ha ! you couldnt even handle Canadian stye taxes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

It is pretty close and for the extras you get in Canada I would prefer that system all day long but the the USA could no longer be the Worlds Cop.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-02 171656.png
Views: 374
Size:  52.9 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

You have to compare apples to apples. Add in your healthcare, daycare, higher ed, triple the parental leave you get, etc… then all of a sudden paying 50%+ in tax leaves the average person with more take-home pay and a better quality of life….

High earning folks are avoid taxes regardless. They aren’t worried about the state paying for daycare and education.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    It is pretty close and for the extras you get in Canada I would prefer that system all day long but the the USA could no longer be the Worlds Cop.

Name:  Screenshot 2022-05-02 171656.png
Views: 374
Size:  52.9 KB
    Yes we could. When your Mitt Romneys (or whomever) are paying 15% effective tax rate, that's a lot of money left on the table by people not paying their fair share.

So you think that people in European countries do worse financially than in the us?

I spend winters in France, and i researched the tax situation pretty carefully. It is very similar to the us. When you consider the health care.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

2021 revenue in hundreds of billions for select US health insurers.

United Health: 288
    Cigna: 174
    Aetna: 279

Plenty money is already baked into US healthcare, more per capita than any other country in the world, in fact. The system is just incentivized to make money first and provide healthcare second.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That's probably because we Americans don't like being happy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

Different kind of happy...there's a reason we left Yurp. Didn't want the gubmint controlling our lives.

There's a different reason why those that can afford it come to the US and pay for their medical care.

I wonder why those that want a system like the social democratic countries in Yurp don't just move there. Probably because you want your cake and also want to eat it....

While it's true that I haven't lived in Yurp for more than 25 years, when I was there, only the top 50% could even own a car. No financing for homes or vehicles. You had to pay cash. How many people in this country can do that? I know you're going to argue that a better public transportation system would fix that but consider the geographical differences between Yurp (generally densely populated and relatively small) to the US. Outside of the densely populated areas on the 2 coasts, public transportation can't work here.

/threaddrift

Different kind of happy...there's a reason we left Yurp. Didn't want the gubmint controlling our lives.

There's a different reason why those that can afford it come to the US and pay for their medical care.

I wonder why those that want a system like the social democratic countries in Yurp don't just move there. Probably because you want your cake and also want to eat it....

While it's true that I haven't lived in Yurp for more than 25 years, when I was there, only the top 50% could even own a car. No financing for homes or vehicles. You had to pay cash. How many people in this country can do that? I know you're going to argue that a better public transportation system would fix that but consider the geographical differences between Yurp (generally densely populated and relatively small) to the US. Outside of the densely populated areas on the 2 coasts, public transportation can't work here.

/threaddrift
    oh fuck off with this yank dumbfuckery. The gubmint controls plenty of your life in this Jesus ridden shithole, you just like the way it controls you.

fucking hilarious in the student loan thread to argue the us is great because it finances your car you need to have to exist because we built our society around consumer consumption

What about all those in the US that have to go to Canada or Mexico to get drugs they can afford? Plenty of citizens in the US travel for surgery and procedures that they can’t afford here in the US.

And fuck that “why don’t you move to Europe” shit. I’m an American and it’s my right to advocate for a government and tax structure that I and others want.

Student Loan Forgiveness

So to the relative merits of forgiveness… Does it have social/economic benefit beyond just buying votes? Somebody said the juice isn’t worth the squeeze upthread, and that was interesting because the opposite seems a little true. While it isn’t perfectly targeted, perhaps, it’s a pretty easy squeeze. Notions of fairness notwithstanding, if our goal is to do some leveling and reduce the financial impact to those who could otherwise contribute positively to the economy, is that helpful? The rich don’t really benefit. $10K in forgiveness doesn’t do much for some doctor who has $300K in student loan debt and income potential of upwards of $300K/year. $10K in forgiveness does a lot for somebody who made it halfway through school before having to stop and work and is fighting to keep up with payments. The rich paid it off long ago.

To turn that around, there seems to be a lot more juice in addressing a tax structure that allows the ultra wealthy to pay an effective 15% tax rate than in blocking a measure that will have an immediate benefit for a few million people.

There are plenty of other structural issues to address, but tying it all together runs a real risk of letting great be the enemy of good. Unless it’s not actually good. I get arguments in re: inflation, but our best way to combat inflation can’t be to suppress benefits to those on the bottom.
    focus.

Blue collar workers (who USED to be much of the Democrats base and still represents a large portion of America) and in a broader sense, the giant voting block that is "the underrepresented, the marginalized, and minorities" are gonna be saying "WTF?!"

Tread carefully, Dems. Don't overplay your hand on this one or your gonna piss off a LOT of your base.

I think the smarter move would be to approach it like Bunion already suggested (kill interest and forgive interest accumulated beyond principle). Then the midterm voting damage will be minimized and those who benefited from college should be stoked enough to be in at least a better position than they were before. Anything more is a greedy move on the part of those in society who were already getting the benefits received from a higher education.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Hilarious how we start threads in padded that get moved to polyass then start another on the same topic with the idea that it won't go polyass on the first page. Might as well try to discuss abortion in the padded room again now..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Hilarious how we start threads in padded that get moved to polyass then start another on the same topic with the idea that it won't go polyass on the first page. Might as well try to discuss abortion in the padded room again now..
    Yeah, I guess. I don’t think it’s been a particularly political discussion thus far, Montucky’s post aside. It’s stupid that we can’t discuss social programs and policy without it becoming a partisan hack fest, and I don’t think we should back ourselves into that corner.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Blue collar workers (who USED to be much of the Democrats base and still represents a large portion of America) and in a broader sense, the giant voting block that is "the underrepresented, the marginalized, and minorities" are gonna be saying "WTF?!"

Tread carefully, Dems. Don't overplay your hand on this one or your gonna piss off a LOT of your base.

I think the smarter move would be to approach it like Bunion already suggested (kill interest and forgive interest accumulated beyond principle). Then the midterm voting damage will be minimized and those who benefited from college should be stoked enough to be in at least a better position than they were before. Anything more is a greedy move on the part of those in society who were already getting the benefits received from a higher education.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ohh look it’s the Fox News moron assuming that everyone blue collar is white. At least he’ll vote to criminalize blowjobs

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    ohh look it’s the Fox News moron assuming that everyone blue collar is white. At least he’ll vote to criminalize blowjobs
    God-fucking-damnit. This is why we can’t have nice things.
    focus.