Page 12 of 64 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I actually took some art history classes and loved them. If I was to do it all over again I would be an art history major. Conservatorship, study, preservation and collections fascinate me. We had a graduate assistant in one class, and he got hired on at the Getty. He was unbelievably stoked, and we were all so happy for him. Threw a big party. He's now tenured in a big NE college, great guy.

I love art and I envy those with a career in it.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Trade schools should leave the person with an immediately marketable skill. Handled well that should mean the ability to pay those loans off quickly and avoid the long term debt track should be higher. While paying that down you should be picking up some of the skills necessary to make the next step like management or ownership so that you're out of the physically abusive side sooner.

Heh, even I had more patience than that. I lasted 5 years in college 3 of them were sight distance from good skiing which was why I was there. I stayed "in college" until the family support ran out I skied 80+ days a year, went on a few GD tours, traveled all over the place on breaks, worked at restaurants for food and ski shops for gear and got to live in some great places. Unfortunately all that life experience hasn't translated to the comfy retirement many of my "more responsible" peers that stuck it out will have.
    When I was going to school to be an electrician (4 years of schooling and work), I only met one student who didn’t have an employer reimbursing his tuition. Kid was an idiot who didn’t want to be tied up to any company. Never saw him after first semester year 2, which is basically intro to electrical engineering and meant to weed people out.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    oh fuck off with this yank dumbfuckery. The gubmint controls plenty of your life in this Jesus ridden shithole, you just like the way it controls you.

fucking hilarious in the student loan thread to argue the us is great because it finances your car you need to have to exist because we built our society around consumer consumption
    Lighten up a little....

I never said the US was great. But unlike most on this thread, I have lived in other countries for extended periods. I have a first-hand appreciation for the differences in our political systems and choose to live here although I could totally live in Austria if I could afford it (I can't).

And please educate me on how the government controls my life. Other than speed limits, I don't feel the least bit constrained from pursuing my happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    What about all those in the US that have to go to Canada or Mexico to get drugs they can afford? Plenty of citizens in the US travel for surgery and procedures that they can’t afford here in the US.

And fuck that “why don’t you move to Europe” shit. I’m an American and it’s my right to advocate for a government and tax structure that I and others want.
    It's absolutely your right to advocate for change but you live in a country where the majority rules (sort of) and I don't see the majority ever shifting to the social democracy model of the northern European countries. So the easiest way to get "what they have" is to move there.

Maybe I missed it but where do you stand on student loan forgiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Lighten up a little....

I never said the US was great. But unlike most on this thread, I have lived in other countries for extended periods. I have a first-hand appreciation for the differences in our political systems and choose to live here although I could totally live in Austria if I could afford it (I can't).

And please educate me on how the government controls my life. Other than speed limits, I don't feel the least bit constrained from pursuing my happiness.

It's absolutely your right to advocate for change but you live in a country where the majority rules (sort of) and I don't see the majority ever shifting to the social democracy model of the northern European countries. So the easiest way to get "what they have" is to move there.

Maybe I missed it but where do you stand on student loan forgiveness?
    you sucked on taxpayer tit, fuck off. If you don’t think there’s a government influencing you in the us you are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    you sucked on taxpayer tit, fuck off. If you don’t think there’s a government influencing you in the us you are stupid.
    God your posts are so fucking tedious.

Somewhat relevant to some of the tangents in this thread:

https://www.colorado.gov/governor/ne...rsal-preschool

Slow progress... but at least progress.

I haven't read the thread, but, I just (finally) finished paying off my college loans!! (~30k originally)

so you guys should expect to see complete student loan forgiveness for every borrower, sometime tomorrow. You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I haven't read the thread, but, I just (finally) finished paying off my college loans!! (~30k originally)

so you guys should expect to see complete student loan forgiveness for every borrower, sometime tomorrow. You're welcome.
    Well you get an F for not doing your homework. Congrats on getting the loan paid off.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post

Regardless, congrats man. Drink a few tonight if you're so inclined. It's not easy to get those things paid off.

Well, it's almost time to start paying again... are the Dems gonna extend this shit?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

All the extensions and the waiver for the PSLF program got me to 112 of 120 months for public service forgiveness! So if payments restart I’ll only have a couple months to pay.

Thanks Biden! (For real, the PSLF program has been Uber fucked since it was started, and the waiver is giving lots of people the opportunity to actually use it as intended)

Name:  FB298FBA-71BD-48E0-9877-81B24E33CD83.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  136.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Name:  FB298FBA-71BD-48E0-9877-81B24E33CD83.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  136.5 KB
    Bullish for GameStop shares!

Absolutely insane to forgive student loans without fixing the underlying problem that allowed them to balloon in the first place.

Also insane to make tradespeople and blue collar workers pay for the useless graduate degrees of the aspiring gentry. If loans were going to be forgiven the money should have first come from the endowments of the universities printing useless degrees.

What about people who already paid off? Or paid off their undergrad with Pell but have grad loans?

So is that 125K AGI? Some other measure? For 2021? Or is it for 2022 AGI and people near the cutoff are scrambling to find ways to lower their AGI like switching from Roth to Traditional 401s?

Talk about trying to buy an election... this might backfire though. This is over $321 BILLION dollars during an inflationary period!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Absolutely insane to forgive student loans without fixing the underlying problem that allowed them to balloon in the first place.

Also insane to make tradespeople and blue collar workers pay for the useless graduate degrees of the aspiring gentry. If loans were going to be forgiven the money should have first come from the endowments of the universities printing useless degrees.
    Former high school soccer teammate heads up consumer lending at a very large bank.

He’s “celebrating” posts on LinkedIn complaining about rising tuition as the underlying problem, when his entire career was made based on how he massively expanded the bank’s student loan book.
    It would be hysterical if it wasn’t so tone deaf and sad.

$20,000,000 football coaches? Go for it. Good luck. I paid off my loan and I'm not feeling cheated.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

The Department is also taking steps to reduce the cost of college for students and their families and hold colleges accountable for raising costs, especially when failing to deliver good outcomes to students. The Department has already re-established the enforcement unit in the Office of Federal Student Aid and recently withdrew authorization for the accreditor that oversaw schools responsible for some of the worst for-profit scandals. The agency will also propose to reinstate and improve a rule to hold career programs accountable for leaving their graduates with unaffordable debt. And the Department is announcing new steps to take action against colleges that have contributed to the student debt crisis. These include publishing an annual watch list of the programs with the worst debt levels in the country and requesting institutional improvement plans from colleges with the most concerning debt outcomes that outline how the college intends to bring down debt levels.”

Full details here:

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/32970c3

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    What about people who already paid off? Or paid off their undergrad with Pell but have grad loans?

So is that 125K AGI? Some other measure? For 2021? Or is it for 2022 AGI and people near the cutoff are scrambling to find ways to lower their AGI like switching from Roth to Traditional 401s?

Talk about trying to buy an election... this might backfire though. This is over $321 BILLION dollars during an inflationary period!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63917753-D3E5-4A03-963C-E1027233C942.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	443.4 KB 
ID:	424622

https://twitter.com/markzandi/status...rF0dpR8XLOD2Yg

What if this is a move designed to generate pressure on Congress to implement a more comprehensive fix?

I’m for some sort of student loan forgiveness, but agree we need a comprehensive fix.

OK I'm not an economics genius but how the fuck does servicing trillions of dollars of debt only decrease household spending by $5/mo?

loan forgiveness is no more a gift than any other government aid/stimulus program: Ukraine aid, SNAP benefits, fossil fuel subsidies, farm subsidies, etc

don't fall for the partisanship; stop making it a class war

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    The Department is also taking steps to reduce the cost of college for students and their families and hold colleges accountable for raising costs, especially when failing to deliver good outcomes to students. The Department has already re-established the enforcement unit in the Office of Federal Student Aid and recently withdrew authorization for the accreditor that oversaw schools responsible for some of the worst for-profit scandals. The agency will also propose to reinstate and improve a rule to hold career programs accountable for leaving their graduates with unaffordable debt. And the Department is announcing new steps to take action against colleges that have contributed to the student debt crisis. These include publishing an annual watch list of the programs with the worst debt levels in the country and requesting institutional improvement plans from colleges with the most concerning debt outcomes that outline how the college intends to bring down debt levels.”

Full details here:

https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/32970c3
    Oh boy. They're going to publish a watchlist. That'll help.

How much higher is tuition going to be next year than this year? I'd bet it'll be perfectly correlated to how much more the max federal student loan limit per student is in 2023 vs 2022, just like it has been for the past 40+ years.

Name:  article_image_20190803172328_student_loan_limits.jpeg
Views: 425
Size:  60.3 KB

Most inflationary pressure is already baked in because of the payment pause, anyway.

Saying "I paid my loans so why should we forgive them," or, "I don't have any loans so we shouldn't forgive them," is like saying "I survived cancer so why should we make better treatments."

Looks like I will get my last couple of Ks of loans forgiven. I was lucky and didn't have to take many loans out, and was able to pay mine down fairly quickly (10 years, lol), but I am not mad about that. I think they should go even further.

I think the bigger issues can't be addressed through an EO and would have to be legislative, so hopefully this will start a process of overhauling secondary ed.

Quote Originally Posted by summit View Post
    OK I'm not an economics genius but how the fuck does servicing trillions of dollars of debt only decrease household spending by $5/mo?
    Im not an economic genius either, but that guy is, and he runs the most comprehensive private economic modeling around, so I trust his analysis.