Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    If you are considering a mini van, get a real van. One you can stand up and walk around in. No kids correct?

You'll be so styling. Build it yourself. Easy.
    Heh. I'm no longer #vanlife so I get to hate on it now.

I can't believe how many people buy these things so they can put their boots on inside and drink a beer at lunch...at a resort, but that's just me.

Only worth it over a minivan if you plan to overnight in your vehicle a significant number of days in the colder months IMO. Easy is not the adjective I'd use to describe building out a van. Fun (for some) but everything will take 4x longer than you thought, regardless of skillz.

Well this explains all the messages this morning tgapp . I obviously dig Sienna.

I've told tgapp all this but for posterity as someone who is interested in them: The big downside of the new gen is less easy to swap a camper setup and all 7 seats. However, you can build a camper setup with rear seats in place, middle seats are an effort to put in/out (e.g. several hours.) It can be worked around. The upside is obviously MPG getting a good bump, no driveshaft to the rear that has to be lifted/aligned (rear wheels are electric motors powered), and retains plenty of power and towing capability. You're not going to wheel in it, but you can get yourself in plenty of trouble with AWD + 10in of clearance.

Costco is good to buy Toyotas through even in these crazy times.

I didn't read 4 pages of banter, but you are a newly single man. Just get an extended cab taco or ranger and put a shell on it.

Lots of mild hatred for the Tacoma from current and ex-owners, but I'm pretty thrilled with my 2021. Maybe they solved some of the issues? Maybe I'm just overly used to shit box cars? Mine does not seem excessively loud, it actually seems quieter than my wife's CR-V. The new ones with the power seats are comfortable enough for a guy with back problems to not have much issue on road trips of up to a day long. I rarely have anyone but dogs in the backseat, so not a big deal to me.

Trips back and forth from the Tetons average around 18.5 mpg at highway speeds of 85, that route is notoriously windy. Driving around the Wasatch Front I usually get around 20 mpg. As far as off-road ability, it's in the top of it's class. Boissal may get everywhere he needs in the Suburu, but he can't get everywhere a Tacoma can. Which is totally fine if you don't have that need. I don't notice the hunting transmission, another issue that I've heard was partially solved with newer ones.

Long story short, if you need mpg more than the ability to off-road, I'd go RAV-4. If you need to carry a bunch of shit and place more value on the ability to go to some of the more fucked up FS roads, Tacoma. If the RAV4 does it for you off-road, but you want to sleep in it, Sienna seems like the way.

For cheep van life, buy this van - https://cars.ksl.com/listing/7716212

And go here for the Millcreek conversion and hi-top for $50k more: https://wasatch-overland.com/millcreek-canyon

or get their $9000 basic buildout that you need to add fridge, drawers, bed to:

Our Little Cottonwood build includes;
    -Half inch multi-layered insulated flooring
    -Robust rubber penny floor covering
    -10 roof mounted internal lights
    -Insulated wall panels where applicable* and insulated roof
    -House battery, charging from vehicle alternator with voltage cutout switch to run internal lights
    -Built in battery storage box with switch plate for lights

They have a variety of build outs all based on levels of affordability more than luxury.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    Heh. I'm no longer #vanlife so I get to hate on it now.

I can't believe how many people buy these things so they can put their boots on inside and drink a beer at lunch...at a resort, but that's just me.

Only worth it over a minivan if you plan to overnight in your vehicle a significant number of days in the colder months IMO. Easy is not the adjective I'd use to describe building out a van. Fun (for some) but everything will take 4x longer than you thought, regardless of skillz.
    Agreed. Full van is great if you're living in it or plan to own multiple vehicles. Minivan is great for long road trips, daily driving as necessary, and regular camping. tgapp is a hard and fun dude -- doesn't need a bidet in his van to enjoy life or attact women.

The only thing I see replacing it for us potentially in the near future -- say 3-5 years -- is an electric pickup truck with a lightweight slide in.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    tgapp is a hard and fun dude -- doesn't need a bidet in his van to enjoy life or attact women.
    lol

tossing into the hat... mazda cx5?

My next car (current is a rav4) will be an awd, lifted sienna hybrid w bigger tires and a pop top. From there I’ll dial it out.

We have a sprinter but 2 kids racing in different age groups has me heading down this road.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Ford Maverick AWD. 30mpg highway four-door truck. Only about $32k fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Ford Maverick AWD. 30mpg highway four-door truck. Only about $32k fully loaded.
    Honest question...how do you camp in the Maverick? It has a 54" bed. Slide-in? How much weight can you put in the bed? (EDIT: It's 1500 which I guess is doable with a slide in. How a FWD car would handle with that much weight on/behind the rear axle though is a different question.)

Honest question...how do you camp in the Maverick? It has a 54" bed. Slide-in? How much weight can you put in the bed? (EDIT: It's 1500 which I guess is doable with a slide in. How a FWD car would handle with that much weight on/behind the rear axle though is a different question.)
    You pack a tent is the real answer.

I am interested in these though and am curious to see what aftermarket solutions will end up available for them. Given that they're unibody, I will be interested to see if someone comes up with a GFC like setup that basically sits the mattress on the roof of the double cab/low profile rack.

I don't think the weight positioning vis a vis the rear axle will be much of an issue unless you load it all on the tailgate. It's not a long bed. I've had nearly that much weight in my Transit Connect spread between the cargo area and a hitch rack that is farther behind the axle than the back of the bed of the Maverick. It wasn't an issue in normal driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    lol

tossing into the hat... mazda cx5?
    Among compact SUV’s it’s often rated best:

https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5

Mazda’s have nice interiors, very nice to drive, generally excellent reliability. No ‘off-roady’ package option as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Among compact SUV’s it’s often rated best:

https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-5

Mazda’s have nice interiors, very nice to drive, generally excellent reliability. No ‘off-roady’ package option as far as I know.
    I think they just came out with one. The CX-50 gets more of the "Outback" treatment than the CX-5/

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    $40k will get you a pretty nice Outback - either the XT or the off-roadish Wilderness. Both have the turbo 4 motor.

Just traded my 2015 4Runner with 137K for the new Outback Wilderness. They gave me $31K for the Toyota, much to my surprise. It was my second 4Runner and though they served me well I drive 20,000 miles a year and I was sick of the shitty mpg and sluggish performance.

I want a Transit Connect for the space and efficiency but they're sluggish at best, don't have decent clearance and they're fwd. The other option is the go just about anywhere and never worry about capacities, Chevy Express AWD. Spacious, tough and relatively easy to service but you'd be hard pressed to do better than 20mpg.

@ Beder: Dang, what did it cost new?

The only thing I see replacing it for us potentially in the near future -- say 3-5 years -- is an electric pickup truck with a lightweight slide in.
    I want the new V Dub electric van. When that comes out one, of the 3 present cars, heck maybe two are gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Recommend me an new car in 2022

I said it somewhere else but my GF got a Corolla hybrid brand new for 25k. 50+ mpg. Fwd obviously. Seemed like a smart purchase for an in town car.
    Edited: sorry, Corolla, not Camry.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    @ Beder: Dang, what did it cost new?
    The 4Runner? It was the Limited and I don't remember what I paid. I'm guessing $42k-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    I think they just came out with one. The CX-50 gets more of the "Outback" treatment than the CX-5/
    Right, forgot about that one. Are they even available yet?

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    I didn't read 4 pages of banter, but you are a newly single man. Just get an extended cab taco or ranger and put a shell on it.
    Ranger would be my choice over a taco, but at that point, in Utah, full-size all the way.

If you're putting in long highway miles, don't need mechanical 4wd and want to sleep in your car, I think the Sienna would be hard to beat.

Ignore these unimaginative dimwits.

Here's your chick magnet:

https://youtu.be/C2I7SnrpGCo?t=886
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    I said it somewhere else but my GF got a Corolla hybrid brand new for 25k. 50+ mpg. Fwd obviously. Seemed like a smart purchase for an in town car.
    Edited: sorry, Corolla, not Camry.

tgapp, I know you said you wanted an AWD vehicle with lots of room for camping gear and decent dirt road capability but have you considered a Harley

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    tgapp, I know you said you wanted an AWD vehicle with lots of room for camping gear and decent dirt road capability but have you considered a Harley
    But Harley's are RWD

Recommend me an new car in 2022

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Sidecar with an awning and a shovel?

Hehehe. I didn’t so much think it would fit his needs as much as I thought it was just good (refreshing even) info about stuff that’s out there. Sure it wont get you past the trailhead but at 50mpg it’ll get you to it a bunch of times.

That, and, thread title says car so he gets what he deserves for asking so nanny nanny boo boo.

If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!