Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Talk to dobedoe - he has done just this.

Yep - a minivan is likely what you want.

And you seem intelligent enough to not be dissuaded by the "but minivan" nonsense.
    i've been in doebedoe's rig it's sweet, he did such a good job with it.

damn i might be living my best dad life soon here

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    i've been in doebedoe's rig it's sweet, he did such a good job with it.

damn i might be living my best dad life soon here
    Pro-tip: Copious quantities of beer help a *lot* with curating the modern dad-bod.

Rav 4 prime- 7.5k Federal credit, 1.5k CA credit. Nice 9k haircut made the decision easy.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, but if you're gonna do it, lean into it.

And this for the back window.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  24.1 KB
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

If you are considering a mini van, get a real van. One you can stand up and walk around in. No kids correct?

You'll be so styling. Build it yourself. Easy.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    If you are considering a mini van, get a real van. One you can stand up and walk around in. No kids correct?

is there an option that won't run 100k? if so - point me to it?

There are awd transits out there for 45/55k. W like 30/60k mi etc. All kinds. Like everything, overpriced.

Having a warm space to change on storm days. Drive up canyon early.park in front go back to sleep. So many advantages.

pm Aldo. This was for sale I think.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...Thread/page292

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Extremely reliable. The 4R was very well built, the Tacomas less so.

Downsides: uncomfortable driving position, little headroom (YMMV, if you're shorter than 5'10" you're probably fine), shitty MPG (17-18 mostly). Handling and ride/drive were acceptable for what those vehicles are.
    I'm over six feet, and don't find headroom to be a problem in the current Taco or 4R, but I have bad posture. What I really notice in the Tacoma is that I can't see the lights while stopped at some intersections because the windshield is so short. It's also a tin can. Like get out of the thing after driving a few hours on the highway and your ears are ringing.

The 4R is a much better vehicle, but pretty specific. It's also 12 years old at this point, and as muted said, it's going to be replaced with the 6th gen next year, which will most likely have a hybrid option. But really, most people who own them would be better off with a unibody suv/crossover. Or a van.

Options, yes. If you want the lifestyle, no.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post

https://www.govplanet.com/Vans
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Considering how much Toyota donates to January 6th deniers campaigns I don't think I could ever buy one of their products again.
    https://youtu.be/_L2fazw5Y9k

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Apologies to anyone eyeing this beauty:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20391964477...8AAOSwFkNiUdCQ
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

<$40K for a SUV or small pickup truck was the request. By page 2, we are hyping up lifted minivans with mud terrains, and used $50K+ work vans for that "van life" action.
    Nice work everyone.

As others have said, Taco and 4 Runner are great on paper but their best quality is resale value. We ditched our 2017 Taco after 4 years for a number of reasons: poor gas mileage (17 at best), tiny interior even for non giants (including the micro windshield mentioned upthread), terrible gearing (as in the fucker will drop to 4th or even 3rd gear while heading up Parley's if you try to keep it at 70 mph), and honestly not that great for off roading due to the fact that the hood is so long and flat you can't see shit in front of you. I've taken my Forester everywhere I've driven my Taco, clearly not ideal for the Forester but I have no desire to get into serious 4-wheeling and do the same thing you do (bum out on dirt roads deep in the west desert). Sleeping in the back got old pretty fast, it works but I happily went back to the tent unless there was snow on the ground. The 4-runner is better finished and roomier but you lose the utility of the bed so it's a different flavor of the same type of meh vehicle.

Since you mentioned Rav4 Prime, Ms Boissal was looking for one. Impossible to find in UT so she was considering the hybrid version. Ultimately she went with a Hyundai Tucson hybrid. Slightly nicer than the Rav4 at equivalent trim level, slightly better gas mileage, slightly cheaper, better warranty. I recently drove it out on some heinous dirt road just to see how it handles and it's on par with the Forester (minus the fact that I was worried about beating the shit out of her car while I couldn't care less about what I do to mine). Takes a while to get used to this new style of interior where everything is controlled by touch screen. I personally hate the feeling that I'm inside an iPhone but I'm sure I would get used to it if it was my daily driver (I also went out of my way to find the only manual tranny Forester in northern UT so take that grumble with a grain of salt).

Re: van life, seems like your budget is at least 50% too low. Cost of entry into that world is probably $100k, more if you aspire to making it into the GOTOS thread. Don't be that guy.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

DO you really think that you can get a Toyota RAV4 Prime for $40K?

Here is what Motortrend recommends:
    https://www.motortrend.com/price/under-40000/
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I've seen positive reviews of the Ford Maverick, it comes in under your target and has an AWD option. You'd have money left over to throw a GoFast on the top

I do love my buddy's minivan that he uses as a day lodge though - pretty great for hauling gear to the hill as well as being able to hang out at lunch time.

$40k will get you a pretty nice Outback - either the XT or the off-roadish Wilderness. Both have the turbo 4 motor.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Sienna hybrid AWD. Why consider anything else? Put a small lift and slightly knobbly tires on it, lose a couple mpg, and it's better everywhere (except legit 4x4 terrain) and for everything than your suggestions.
    I like this idea a lot for many of the reasons stated. As a newly single dood you will also appreciate the shaggin wagon possibilities of a van when things get spontaneous
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

When the boss and I bought an Outback 5 years ago we were out the door for 27k. I’d buy an Outback or Forster 10 times over before a Tacoma or 4Runner. It’s even got comfy heated seats, rear seats fold down flat and over enough room for a guy to sleep. Stock tires are worthless in winter though.

Have a Tundra, GX 460, and Sienna AWD.

Almost always take the Sienna - have kids and all so different dynamic.

I'd consider the Sienna "my" car later once kids feel too cool for it.

There was a time when even the mention of a Forrester would magically generate CL posting the Rosie O'Donnell Suby pic.

That said, my buddy took delivery of the Wilderness one recently, and his wife has the one with all the nice bits and they both seem to be great new cars.
    I still call it The Jake.

I don't want to necessarily buy a new car, but it seems like the used car market is insane, so I feel like buying new makes sense. Am I wrong in assuming that?
    Not crazy, or at least you are as crazy as me as I had the same reaction when I started looking at used car prices.

One of the SLC toyota dealers will put you on the list for pretty much anything at MSRP (dunno about rav 4 prime) with a $500 refundable deposit. Lead times vary from weeks to 6 months, dunno if you can handle that uncertainty but not a bad way to put a free backup option in place while you continue to scour the market for something used that is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    I've seen positive reviews of the Ford Maverick, it comes in under your target and has an AWD option. You'd have money left over to throw a GoFast on the top
    They are not even taking orders for those right now due to a massive backlog of demand. I heard you will need to wait until the 2023 order book is opened so i doubt you would get one for 8+ months minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    I like this idea a lot for many of the reasons stated. As a newly single dood you will also appreciate the shaggin wagon possibilities of a van when things get spontaneous
    Hold on. What sort of broads are keen on getting fucked in a Sienna?

The fun ones.