Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Recommend me an new car in 2022

Hey mags. Looks like STBXW is gonna end up with our car during the divorce, which means I am in the unfortunate position of needing to buy a new car. I don't mind - I'm in an okay financial position to do so - but I do want advice. Looking to spend at most $40k, with most of that being financed. I don't want to necessarily buy a new car, but it seems like the used car market is insane, so I feel like buying new makes sense. Am I wrong in assuming that?

Here are my short-listed contenders:

• Toyota Rav4 Prime
    • Toyota Tacoma
    • Toyota 4Runner
    • Volkswagen ID.4 (likely not feasible due to range & how often I go climb in the desert)

Any thoughts here? Any other cars (American-made small pick-up trucks, PHEV hybrids, or smaller SUVs) I should consider?

2 door Wrangler. Leave the roof & doors off for the summer.

Can't go wrong with a 4runner or tacoma you can get new right around mid $40's and you know you'll be good for at least 250K miles.

I'm a Wrangler guy through and through but the markup on those suckers right now is insane. Averaging over 25% over MSRP nationwide right now.

I'd get the 4runner. Resale will be almost as strong and dead reliable.
    Live Free or Die

EuroSpecAudiRS6AvantWithABox

But if you can't find one of those, get the 4Runner and call it a day.
    I still call it The Jake.

Rav4 Primes are nice, but only available in certain states at the moment..
    Used car market is insane, but they say buying a new vehicle is the worst way to spend your money..
    If you can find a low mileage 3rd or 4th gen 4runner you can get a great vehicle and spend less than 30k

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm a Wrangler guy through and through but the markup on those suckers right now is insane. Averaging over 25% over MSRP nationwide right now.

I'd get the 4runner. Resale will be almost as strong and dead reliable.
    Seems like there is strong consensus for the 4runner. Is there a reason mags recommend that over a TRD Taco?

Thanks again all

Quote Originally Posted by bearcub69 View Post
    Rav4 Primes are nice, but only available in certain states at the moment..
    Used car market is insane, but they say buying a new vehicle is the worst way to spend your money..
    If you can find a low mileage 3rd or 4th gen 4runner you can get a great vehicle and spend less than 30k
    Ah, but that new car smell compared to sitting on a previously farted upon seat?

I would go with something Italian.

If you don't need a car per se one of these can be had in your price range:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-ducati-panigale-sp2---main.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	164.8 KB 
ID:	414635

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    Sienna hybrid AWD. Why consider anything else? Put a small lift and slightly knobbly tires on it, lose a couple mpg, and it's better everywhere (except legit 4x4 terrain) and for everything than your suggestions.
    Shoot me first.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Sienna hybrid AWD. Why consider anything else? Put a small lift and slightly knobbly tires on it, lose a couple mpg, and it's better everywhere (except legit 4x4 terrain) and for everything than your suggestions.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

If you’re looking at a Tacoma or 4Runner. They have shitty mpg for what they are. My full size gmc gets better mpg than my buddies Tacoma. But the resale value is great. I’d buy the RAV4 way before either of those vehicles. Bad time to be in the market for sure. I could easily sell my truck for more than I paid for it new 2 years ago. And DO NOT buy a wrangler. Can’t think of a worse vehicle to own.

Considering how much Toyota donates to January 6th deniers campaigns I don't think I could ever buy one of their products again.

AWD Ford transit high roof van. Simple build, changes everything.

Tgapp, you're going to get a thousand different suggestions with as vague as your inquiry is. What do you want the vehicle to do? You listed four, which have fairly little in common with each other, except for general reliability for the Toyotas.

If you are leaning 4Runner, consider a used Lexus GX too (Lexus version of the 4Runner, more powerful, nicer).

Expect to pay a fortune for a RAV4 Prime. Asking about that suggests you care about MPG, but asking about the Tacoma and 4Runner suggests you don't care the slightest (both of those have poor MPG vs competitors).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    AWD Ford transit high roof van. Simple build, changes everything.
    Used for only one killing, in white?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Out of what you've said... Rav4 Prime or look at a Ford Mustang EV (will be a little more).
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Toyota experts can correct me - but aren't the 4runner and tacoma due for a refresh and the Rav4 is not? I'd hate to buy a current tacoma and see an improved one 6-12 months later to buy.

Rav4 IMO is many ways better than a 4runner and gets great mpg if you want to be practical - but please don't be climberevan practical and get brand new minivan as a single male under 60, ha.

This guy knows.

Get vanity plates: PUSYWGN

Interesting. This is really interesting. Do you have one? How well would it work if I wanted to do a fairly simple vanlife style conversion in it?

I need a car that is a jack-of-all-trades, so ultimately, I'll need to make a lot of compromises no matter what. Principal use cases are as a dirtbag rig (car camping, no luxury here), mostly in BLM style sites that require driving on forest access roads (not true 4x4 terrain). I do care about MPG, but I would still get a 4Runner or Taco for the utility aspects.

The lifted Sienna AWD seems like a really smart choice though. Ticks a whole lot of boxes.

Can you even find one of the cars you’re looking for?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I have 2016 Tacoma OR, nice truck but I would prob not buy again. Had a 2011 4runner prior and prob would not buy again.

- great vehicles, competent, reliable, GREAT resale, etc.... all the Yo fans will tell you... and tell you.....
    - shit box auto transmission. never had a gear it likes.
    - poor tuning, reliable tuning but stock sucks
    - mpg sucks, 17-19 at best...... full moon, down hill and wind at your back.

BUT, great looking and fun as hell to drive.

all I got.

Skim the Montucky car thread for some truly great suggestions on what's available out there.

Mrs C had Tacomas for years. I had a 4th gen 4Runner. I wouldn't buy either of them today either.

Extremely reliable. The 4R was very well built, the Tacomas less so.

Downsides: uncomfortable driving position, little headroom (YMMV, if you're shorter than 5'10" you're probably fine), shitty MPG (17-18 mostly). Handling and ride/drive were acceptable for what those vehicles are.

My F350 7.3 gas crew cab pickup delivers 15-16 MPG, for comparison. (I would not recommend this either, unless you have a need for a massive truck.)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Interesting. This is really interesting. Do you have one? How well would it work if I wanted to do a fairly simple vanlife style conversion in it?
    Talk to dobedoe - he has done just this.

I need a car that is a jack-of-all-trades, so ultimately, I'll need to make a lot of compromises no matter what. Principal use cases are as a dirtbag rig (car camping, no luxury here), mostly in BLM style sites that require driving on forest access roads (not true 4x4 terrain). I do care about MPG, but I would still get a 4Runner or Taco for the utility aspects.

The lifted Sienna AWD seems like a really smart choice though. Ticks a whole lot of boxes.
    Yep - a minivan is likely what you want.

And you seem intelligent enough to not be dissuaded by the "but minivan" nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

And you seem intelligent enough to not be dissuaded by the "but minivan" nonsense.
    Yeah, but if you're gonna do it, lean into it.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Yeah, but if you're gonna do it, lean into it.

Looks clean... but Chrysler...