Heli skiing accident in Valdez?

Any one have any news about this? Just heard something that there was a pretty big incident.

Looks like Michael Hamilton. Great person. Years ago we met touring. He invited me to stay in his home and the next day we skied Python. Very sad he is a Valdez legend. My thoughts to others that knew him better than me. I know others on this board were close to him.
    off your knees Louie

Avalanche?

Anyone got a link? A friend (and maggot) is up there right now.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Anyone got a link? A friend (and maggot) is up there right now.
    I don't see anything in the news yet, but a reliable heli-ski industry source messaged me earlier today to say that Mike Hamilton died from avalanche day before yesterday. He said the party contained 4 guides and 1 client. However, it's possible this information is not 100% accurate.

Anyway, very sad news. RIP to Mike and +++vibes+++ to all involved. What a shitty way to end the season.

That fucking sucks, we know it's part of the game but ugh.

Yes Mike passed after being avalanched over a cliff from trauma. His team was on him quick, but it was a bad outcome. Hearts out to all at VHSG

Vibes to family and friends.

I'm up here now. Heard about it but not much news about it. I'm flying with ABG and I'm sure its not something they would announce to their clients. From that tweet, sounds like a cornice fail that created a larger slide. We've flown all over the Chucach the last 4 days and cornices are still massive and probably one of the major hazards. . Sun exposed areas are shedding but not unexpected and northern aspects are still wintery with not much movement other than a few winds slabs I encountered near the summits.

Update after talking to another guide at breakfast. All hearsay so take with a grain of salt.

Apparently, the cornice break was another incident involving ski tourers with minimal injuries. The fatality happened with him opening up a run and it propagated more than expected and he was sent over an unsurvivable cliff.

^^ You hadn't posted on IG for a bit so you had me worried there for a minute.

Ugh, that sucks.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2022...ach-mountains/

I don't know what Valdez is like at the moment but there have been numerous avalanches around Anchorage recently. We've had a pretty massive warm-up.

why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

I was skiing in Valdez last week.

Sorry to hear this...
    Last edited by DeathVan; 04-28-2022 at 07:56 PM.

Oh man. this sucks. It took me until this morning to figure out this was the same Mike I had a good handful of adventures with back in the mid 90's in Steamboat. He was a really great person and absolutely loved skiing and being in the mountains. I guess he did 20+ straight years of endless winters as a guide in Alaska and South America. His time may have been cut short but it was a life well lived. RIP brother.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

God damn. I have been in a shitty mood about life lately and this weekend was looking much better until this news. I was lucky to have Mike guide me for a week with H2O many years ago. One of the most amazing weeks of my life and he made it that way. He offered to take me to ski Meteorite, but I chickened out. An awesome person that I was fortunate to spend a little time with.

Because rich has nothing to do with money.