Arrow 20TH ANNUAL (and probably last) RADAR SPEED TRAP: THIS SAT!!

Ok, Maggs! It's that time of year. If you've ever wondered how your favorite ski tracker app compares to a real radar gun, this Saturday is likely your last chance to find out. This will be my 20th year of offering this fun little get-together. But if the turnout is as bad this Sat as it was last year, this 20th anniversary will be the last official Radar Speed Trap Day.

Look for me and Coldsmoke and possibly Alamos-Rob at the bottom of Peruvian at 9:30. Just off to the side of the maze.
    See you there for a couple hours of snow fun!
    > > > Saturday April 30th at 9:30 < < <
    As always, IT'S FREE! Of course.
    "Don't bug me, granny. I don't dig slick chicks trying to goof me up." --Tragg

How far off do you find peoples' ski tracker apps are?

It's not unusual for me to see people posting 80, 90, even just shy of 100mph from people I know are on skis with die-cut bases that haven't been tuned all year, baggy gear, and no awareness of what it takes to really go that fast.

Curious what you experience.

Having attended one of these radar speed trap days previously, which are a ton of fun by the way and all the SLC folks should turn out for it, I can tell you that at 155lbs wearing normal ski clothes breaking 80mph was a non-starter. I was on 200cm iggy FFLs with a good tune and was not turning at all throughout some of the longer/steeper runs at the bird and I maxed out at ~70mph. Tracker apps had told me I had hit 90 so there is a decent amount of deviation. In my opinion, breaking 80 with normal skis/clothes is not common without speed being an explicit goal and anyone who claims to be breaking 90 on a regular basis is either reporting bad data or is cut from different cloth than the rest of us.
    Last edited by soul_skier; 05-01-2022 at 11:39 PM.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Sure hope folks show up for this as it would be sad to see it go away. I know I wouldn’t be going too fast as I gets scared, but fun times anyways

The conditions are looking good for tomorrow morning!

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Sure hope folks show up for this as it would be sad to see it go away. I know I wouldn’t be going too fast as I gets scared, but fun times anyways
    Yeah, but how fast can you go?!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

If I was in the area I would definitely show to give’r a go

So over the 20 years who was the fastest maggot ?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I was going to check but the search function isn't working for me right now. If memory serves it was 82 mph. I'm thinking maybe it was deephelmet or stroupskier?

Found it! The 20-year all-time fastest speed by radar.
    The all-time record over these 20 years was set exactly 3 years ago today, May 3, 2019, and it was because the conditions and snow surface were all-time. 82 MPH!!
    Keep in mind this has always been an amateur skier event with participants using their everyday equipment and clothing. In my case, I'm as amateur as it gets. I learned to ski as an adult, have never been in any skiing programs nor learned how to race. And I was 63 years old at the time.
    Fittingly, I hit this speed on a pair of 20-year old NoKaOi 193s. A ski designed by members of this ski forum as well as from the old Powder Magazine forum. One of the famous writers of that revered magazine, Pat Keane, conceived the idea of creating a ski made entirely from the collaborative efforts of ski forum members. It was a several month process, ultimately produced by AK-Skis (the Swiss ski-maker, Aldo Kuonen). The resulting NoKaOi ski was a smashing success. From that experience, Pat went on to form his own ski company, PM Gear and the Bro ski line.
    It's pretty freaking cool that the all-time record was achieved on skis made by members of this forum...
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ighlight=radar

Definitely worth triple posting!
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

82mph would scare the shit out of me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Make Radar Speed Trap Day great again...

Quote Originally Posted by up an down View Post
    Definitely worth triple posting!
    Hahahaha!! Thanks for the heads-up. I had no idea that happened!

So cool!

Mammoth had a speed trap for the kids ski team this year. Mini Comish hit 77mph. I think the top speed was 78 or 79mph. These are 13yr old kids tucking down a closed run in speed suits and super G skis for comparison. The U12's were hitting high 60's from a lower start. They use the race timing set up for what it's worth.
    He who has the most fun wins!

The speed snowskater dudes are all using this mobile app to do instagram reels showing how fast they're going.

These speeds they're doing is ridiculous, and I'm here wondering how accurate this app actually is?

For instance, I just saw this 120 kph (75mph) video:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNkoii8n...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by larilinesign View Post
    I'm here wondering how accurate this app actually is?
    If you look at Post #3 in this thread, the app was very inaccurate. App was over 20mph faster.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    If you look at Post #3 in this thread, the app was very inaccurate. App was over 20mph faster.
    I'm suspicious that they've tried multiple apps and are using the one that gives them the most biased readings. The inaccuracy getting worse at higher speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason View Post
    Fittingly, I hit this speed on a pair of 20-year old NoKaOi 193s. A ski designed by members of this ski forum as well as from the old Powder Magazine forum.
    One of the famous writers of that revered magazine, Pat Keane (Splat), conceived the idea of creating a ski made entirely from the collaborative efforts of ski forum members. It was a several month process, ultimately produced by AK-Skis (the Swiss ski-maker, Aldo Kuonen).
    The resulting NoKaOi ski was a smashing success. From that experience, Pat went on to form his own ski company, PM Gear and the Bro ski line.
    It's pretty freaking cool that the all-time record was achieved on skis made by members of this forum...
    Thanks for the background on Splats' skis .Vcool.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Yo, endless...any chance you'd loan the radar gun to us JH mags?

I'd like to put 82 to the test.
    Certain I've not hit 80, but I'd try.

How fast is this person going really?

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CqdkV...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=