Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Aluminium rims stuck to hubs

Tacoma rims stuck on the hubs from corrosion, the tire dealer no longer swaps them for free so I just realized this was happening while swapping them myself and that I could get stuck out there unable to get a flat tire off, anybody dealt with this ?

today on the summerswap over I sanded the aluminium rims with an emory wheel chucked in my drill and slathered a bit of high temp Lithium grease on the rim/hub interface
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Kick the tire. It'll break free. If you have this problem often, put a little antisieze on the part of the hub that the wheel centers on.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

they were stuck on there last fall and kicking didnt work, also tried using a big hammer & 2x4 against the back of the wheel from the other side of the truck which didnt work either

Kick harder, like you're a horse. 2nd the antiseize, don't be stingy with it, it will help a lot.

I had to wail on my RV rims with a 16# sledge to get them unstuck from the hubs once. Grease is your friend upon reassembly.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I've had the same issue with my wife's Toyota Matrix. I hit those things so hard with a 10 lb sledge that I was worried about damaging them. The solution was to loosen all the lugs on the stubborn wheel a turn and then I went and did donuts in the parking lot until it popped free. After that I antiseized the rotor wheel interface. One time that wasn't enough and I used a 8" clutch puller and that was the ticket. Since then I've made sure to have antiseize against the rotor AND the part of the hub that contacts the wheel too.

Yup, had this on my jeep that I neglected to do rotations on for like three years in the salt belt.

First spray it down with some sort of corrosion-breaker. PB blaster is my go to.
    Then:
    #1 kick the tire while it’s jacked up
    #2 sledge on tire (not rim) while it’s jacked up
    #3 if these failed, put the lug nuts back on but a little loose, lower the car so the weight is on the wheel again and see if it pops off. If not, wail on it a little, if still not, drive slowly back and forward in the driveway, checking it every time you stop (you don’t want to drive too much with the wheel loose or you’ll put too much stress on the lugs)

Just dealt with this on my 4Runner last fall when I was removing the aluminum wheeled summer tires.

Mini sledge did not work.
    Kicking did not work.
    Dropping it down with the lugs loosened and rocking the vehicle did not work.

Ended up jacking it back up and going to bat with a 4’ long 4x6. That puppy worked almost instantly. Anti seize was applied afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Heh, I had this happen on my F250 once. After that, I decided paying someone $20 to rotate tires on an 8 lug truck was well worth it.

yeah so I can just pay the shop but what happens in the middle of fuckin nowhere if that shop isnt there to get the wheel off ?

I really wana thank ever one for posting all the shit that doesnt work

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    but have you tried kicking the tire

yeah so I can just pay the shop but what happens in the middle of fuckin nowhere if that shop isnt there to get the wheel off ?

I've had good luck wailing on the seized wheel with another wheel. Use the spare if it's full size. Had a seized wheel on a rabbit years ago - kicking it didn't work sledge didn't work, huge pry bar didn't work (literally lifted the vehicle), but < 10 whacks with a wheel going back and forth got it loose. All the other shit I tried probably loosened it, but the wheel was what got it off.

Sledge hammer. Once it’s off use anti-seize or white lithium grease on the back of the wheel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

And when you replace the rotors make sure the middle part is coated.

Get steel wheels

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    but have you tried kicking the tire
    We can't help the fact that he has the kick strength of a 4 year old.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Been there more than a couple of times. Sometimes a few kicks work. Sometimes my Big Fucking Hammer works. What has always worked on stuck wheels is loosening the lug nuts a turn or two and driving at a slow speed while I "Rock the Boat" with the steering wheel. Then put the anti seize on so you can change a flat in the boonies.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Loosen the lugs, and drive (bump) the wheel into a curb.
    Plenty of Anti-seize on reassemble.

Obviously brute force if they are stuck but I don't want them to stick so what to use, either anti sieze or grease or whatever

I went with a good cleaning & the white lithium grease cuz it doesnt melt or break down so it shouldnt migrate to brake surfaces

Aluminium rims stuck to hubs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1650994913.369152.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	309.4 KB 
ID:	414470

this

don’t need to go overboard with it. and don’t get it on the threads

Wear some real work boots, stop skipping leg day, and kick that fuckin tire, you pansies.

existing the neanderthal methods didnt work but how would they know this until they learn to read

The rims arent stuck right now, i want to put something on the rims so they don't stick, my choices would appear to be grease or anti-sieze

i've heard one shouldn't put anti sieze on wheel nuts

Antiseize on the rotor wheel interface and hub rotor if they contact. No antiseize on studs. Put some on but not a ton. I typically re-up when I swap tires and every couple years hit the accumulation with a wire wheel and start over. It has been working quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Antiseize on the rotor wheel interface and hub rotor if they contact. No antiseize on studs. Put some on but not a ton. I typically re-up when I swap tires and every couple years hit the accumulation with a wire wheel and start over. It has been working quite well.
    This is the way.

Emphasis on the no antiseize on studs but rather on the hub where the wheel meets it. White lithium grease will probably work fine, but it hardens up after a while.

Tried all manner of kicking before, then tried the loosened lug nuts and a donut.

Once off the rust gets knocked off and a swipe with anti seize. A dab on the threads too. Next time it all comes apart

Before the bitching about sliver goop everywhere just a dab

Before the bitching about torque values I reduce based on wet torque values.