Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    How has no one recommended aqua seal yet?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    Or WD40 (would probably work as a pro-seize )

Quote Originally Posted by skisurfmirth View Post
    aqua seal yer fucking hubs eh

Apparently skismurfmirth uses AQS as birth control eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I get the dealer to rotate the tires on my company truck (F-150) every oil change. Letting the shop guys rotate them every couple months makes sticking less likely but all aluminum rims will stick to the hub/rotor. It sucks.
    Being grown-up sucks!

right ^^ so I can get a tire shop to swap tires but they never say anything about the rims being stuck to the hubs, they just swap em

So what do you do if YOU get a flat in the middle of fucking nowhere ?

and BTW we do have a lot of nowhere up here

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    right ^^ so I can get a tire shop to swap tires but they never say anything about the rims being stuck to the hubs, they just swap em

So what do you do if YOU get a flat in the middle of fucking nowhere ?

and BTW we do have a lot of nowhere up here
    Did you ask the shop guys how they get the wheels off the car? Sledge hammer always worked for me, as did kicking the wheel.

Once you get the wheels off, do everything you can to prevent sticking in the future. Grind / polish the contact surfaces of the hub / rotor and the wheel. Put a bunch of anti-seize on all the contact surfaces and you'll be happier next time. Just putting anti-seize alone doesn't get the same result as smoothing it all down.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Did you ask the shop guys how they get the wheels off the car? Sledge hammer always worked for me, as did kicking the wheel..
    they used to swap the wheels for free but now they charge so I atempt to change them myself & realize wheels have been stuck on the hubs all these years ,

they didn't tell anyone the wheels were stuck they just changed em,

so why would I ask the shop guys how they got the wheels off if I didn't know the wheels have been corroded onto the truck ?

they used to swap the wheels for free but now they charge so I atempt to change them myself & realize wheels have been stuck on the hubs all these years ,

they didn't tell anyone the wheels were stuck they just changed em,

so why would I ask the shop guys how they got the wheels off if I didn't know the wheels have been corroded onto the truck ?
    You've been intent on the only people being able to get the wheels off are these shop guys - are you saying they didn't actually remove / rotate anything when they said they did? If the latter is the case, that's annoying.

Anyways, years of working on cars in the Northeast has given me lots of opportunities to remove stuck shit - it is always a fight. Heat is an option, but difficult in this situation. PB Blaster or another penetrant will probably do the trick. Ammonia can work against aluminum oxidation as well but it can be rough on painted surfaces, so I wouldn't let it sit super long. Basically you need to break the corrosion down a little and then apply a lot of brute force.

You've been intent on the only people being able to get the wheels off are these shop guys - are you saying they didn't actually remove / rotate anything when they said they did? If the latter is the case, that's annoying.

Anyways, years of working on cars in the Northeast has given me lots of opportunities to remove stuck shit - it is always a fight. Heat is an option, but difficult in this situation. PB Blaster or another penetrant will probably do the trick. Ammonia can work against aluminum oxidation as well but it can be rough on painted surfaces, so I wouldn't let it sit super long. Basically you need to break the corrosion down a little and then apply a lot of brute force.
    Or get steel wheels

no what i said is I havent been doing wheel swaps cuz tire store alwasy did them for free and didnt say anything about the wheels being corroded on they just took them off using all the tools & shit I don't own or carry without sayin anything, ergo if i need to change a flat i am fubared

so I can either find some chemical means to break the cycle of corrosion

or get steel wheels

The point is, the special tool that the tire shop uses is a guy that can kick real fucking hard.

That ^^ is not the point,

the point is read the fucking post

actualy one of the shop crew lived or lives in my basement, miss jena is a 120lbs tops, I asked the manager how is this possible and he said well she has been fighting with her older bros for 18 yrs so she is pretty tough, no problem

but she quit that job for something more lady like

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The point is, the special tool that the tire shop uses is a guy that can kick real fucking hard.
    Good point!
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I thot the point was to buy steel rims ?

what if you happen to be wearing flip-flops ?

I thot the point was to buy steel rims ?

what if you happen to be wearing flip-flops ?
    Use some aqua seal eh. Hoser.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

How about astroglide?

It has to be very waterproof

Throw the other wheel at it hard. Usually works for me.

It has to be very waterproof
    Like Aqua Seal?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    How about astroglide?
    That only works in a warm dry environment.

I usually Jack the car up so the tire is barely off the ground then use a two pound sledge. I slide it on the ground so I don’t accidentally get the wheel.

I had a flat last year on the way to the hill. I had to “borrow” a piece of firewood from a random to use as a hammer on the stuck wheel . +1 for anti seize.

Btw. My kid’s steel wheels were stuck the other day when he did his changeover so that isn’t a silver bullet.
    Last edited by utagonian; 05-02-2022 at 09:55 PM.

I had thot magnificantunicorn might be a dipshot eh

I had some wheels seize on my HHR so badly that the only way I could get them off was to loosen all the lugs halfway and drive through pothole ridden back alleys until they broke loose. Took me a full 30 minutes of hammering before they popped. Anti-seize compound has been my friend since.

QFT. I had two 90's Jeep Cherokees that the wheels would routinely seize to the hubs (both STL & AL) and the anti-seize applied at change over did the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by powking12 View Post
    Anti-seize compound has been my friend since.