Thread: 4 bike rack

4 bike rack

I've got a Yakima tray-style rack and we have been happy with it.

However, beginning last season, we started to leave the extension on to make it a 4 bike operation. The problem is that my wife is not strong enough to operate the pin and fold it up without me. The rack is a heavy bitch with the 2+2 extension on it and the pin that locks it in place is near the hitch, so it's hard to get the leverage.

So I guess I'm in the market for a new rack. We have a second car with a 2 inch hitch and we ride pretty often, so I suppose we can keep the old one around on our second car.

What's my best option these days? I need at least 4 bike carrying capacity, though my big car can seat up to 7. I also need something easy to shove fold back into position for a 5 ft 6 woman who is recovering slowly from a knee injury. I would prefer not to spend more than the gdp of Indonesia, but I realize that my first 2 requirements may make that impossible.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Honestly, most discussions on bike racks end with 1UP here. I'm a big fan of it's simplicity and versatility. You can have it in 1, 2, 3 or 4 tray configuration, add roof trays that can be then converted to hitch trays. Lots of money up front, but they are sturdy, relatively light and you can buy replacement parts fairly easy.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

We have a 2-bike 1-Up and a 5-bike Velocirax. IMO, more than two bikes is when you move to a vertical rack (or start putting them on the roof too).

Lots of choices in vertical racks, and the kind of bikes you need to carry is the first starting point. For example, we can’t carry fatbikes on our Velocirax but I don’t want that rack on the truck in the winter anyway. That’s the major use of our 1-Up these days.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    . IMO, more than two bikes is when you move to a vertical rack (or start putting them on the roof too).
    X2. Horizontal tray racks, no matter what the brand, get awkward and heavy with more than two bikes.

My old North Shore rack remains the best bike rack I've ever had. Other ones we currently have are 2-bike Kuat and Thule tray racks (sold the add on 4-bike extension for the Thule).
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

We love our 6-pack North Shore rack.

Except for the E-mtn bike…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0BC8794-90BE-4734-87A1-88F325141964.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	885.1 KB 
ID:	414127

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    IMO, more than two bikes is when you move to a vertical rack (or start putting them on the roof too).
    X3 or whatever.

Also, there aren't really any 4+ bike rack options that I'm aware of that are particularly light or easy to frequently take on and off the vehicle. At that point, the rack just kinda likes on there. And you don't really want a rack that's rated to carry 200 lbs of bikes to be lightly built.

What type of carry do you want to do (types of bikes and top tube configurations also may enter into it.) Full suspension mountain bikes, fat bikes, etc. can enter into the decision whether to wheel and rim mount or some sort of frame mount as examples. You thinking staying with a Tray type wheel mounting?
    Last edited by RShea; 04-24-2022 at 06:12 AM.

I’ve been playing around with the idea of adding a gas strut to assist in the folding for the wife…..

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Someone posted a vid a while back of a 4 bike rack comparison review that was done from the point of view of two moms and a 13 yr old girl. I can try searching for it.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

https://www.twowheelingtots.com/best...-for-families/

…seems the 63 lb Saris is the lowest weight, and doesn’t obscure rear view when flipped up.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.