Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Just as important as a will is a list of your active insurance policies. I spent weeks digging through my hoarder parents apartment finding policies from the 70s and 80s with no clue if these companies even still existed. My Mom was clueless as to what my dad had for coverage. I found one old dot matrix printed business card that once I tracked down what it was for (I almost didn’t bother because at this point I was exhausted from chasing so many dead ends) it resulted in an extra $92,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I think it's becoming more common but I just want to be put in the dirt. No box, no clothes, no nothing. Feed me to the earth.
    I’ve always said. Use my ashes as fertilizer for a tree.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I know it’s bad ecology to be burnt.

But I’m not ready to accept bugs eating me.

Funeral pyre. Ideally on a small boat.
    But that’s hard to arrange
    Be bug food you coward

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    When I had heart surgery last summer, I came face to face with my own mortality. My will dated back to my days in the military and I didn’t really have anything, so I just had a generic one giving my brother everything. So last summer I made another one, giving a substantial portion of my estate to a maggot on TGR who is a good friend offline. He deserves it.

My island will become a state park. Currently in discussions with them about how to make that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Bravo!

Having read through this thread, I should give some thought to who gets items that might be considered desirable or novel.

Regarding end of life, I was hoping I would get a shot at KQ before she's done with her body.

As for what happens when I'm gone, I really like this idea. Since the US of A may not allow me to be bagged-up in a fetal position and planted under a tree, I will be cremated. I want my ashes put in small vials that my friends and family can spread in places where we shared a good experience and have fond memories.
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I think it's becoming more common but I just want to be put in the dirt. No box, no clothes, no nothing. Feed me to the earth.
    Easiest way to get back on top when the zombie apocalypse comes.

Quote Originally Posted by alias_rice View Post
    Easiest way to get back on top when the zombie apocalypse comes.
    So you'll be the naked zombie?
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

ok that's funny

btw I feel for you guys, I do. It's been proven multiple times that I am unkillable, so I'll be hanging around. Sucks to be you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I know it’s bad ecology to be burnt.

But I’m not ready to accept bugs eating me.

Funeral pyre. Ideally on a small boat.
    But that’s hard to arrange
    I mean at some point the easiest way to arrange it is to just do it yourself. I've had to convince my mom to not stash poison in case something happens to her. I doubt it worked.

Poison isn't one of the preferable ways to make the transition.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    I think a permanent K-hole wouldn't be that bad.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

speak for yourself, the most scared I've ever been taking drugs was deep in a khole, face-down on a couch and realizing I wouldn't be able to move if I couldn't breath.

Ask your medical friends how they’d do it; they almost always say the same thing, and it’s not really “poison”, depending on interpretation. Easy, quiet, peaceful. I won’t say what it is here, just ask them.

I leave all of my skis to a good friend who has the same BSL as me. No need to remount the bindings or anything.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

btw I feel for you guys, I do. It's been proven multiple times that I am unkillable, so I'll be hanging around. Sucks to be you guys.
    If your will doesn’t say you are to be frozen in a glacier for ten thousand years we will all be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Ask your medical friends how they’d do it; they almost always say the same thing, and it’s not really “poison”, depending on interpretation. Easy, quiet, peaceful. I won’t say what it is here, just ask them.
    A garbage bag filled with nitrous over the head?

Nothing odd in my will. Everything to my wife, or daughter as the case may be. As for my remains, not really concerned about worms, but would like to limit the amount of benefit the capitalist vultures will try and rape my benefactors for, so cremation is the most likely outcome for my flesh.

As for the end itself, I don’t truly subscribe to an afterlife, but I have been known to be wrong before. So if I do have an ‘eternal soul’ that needs attention, other than how I lived my life generally, I think it needs to go go out in the same manner that it came in - dramatically, with at least some level of conscious truama. Maybe there is truth that to get into Valhalla one needed to die in battle, with a hand on a weapon. Going out in one’s sleep seems wrong somehow. It would be nice for the pain of the transition lasting a reasonably short period of time however. And of course, I wouldn’t like others to be hurt in the actual act of departure. In short - Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Nothing odd in my will. Everything to my wife, or daughter as the case may be. As for my remains, not really concerned about worms, but would like to limit the amount of benefit the capitalist vultures will try and rape my benefactors for, so cremation is the most likely outcome for my flesh.

As for the end itself, I don’t truly subscribe to an afterlife, but I have been known to be wrong before. So if I do have an ‘eternal soul’ that needs attention, other than how I lived my life generally, I think it needs to go go out in the same manner that it came in - dramatically, with at least some level of conscious truama. Maybe there is truth that to get into Valhalla one needed to die in battle, with a hand on a weapon. Going out in one’s sleep seems wrong somehow. It would be nice for the pain of the transition lasting a reasonably short period of time however. And of course, I wouldn’t like others to be hurt in the actual act of departure. In short - Send It!
    So... a massive heart attack?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Oh, I think one a bit less than ‘massive’ would likely do the trick

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Be bug food you coward
    Quoted for truth.
    "Can't you see..."

I've said it here before I believe, but I think it's awesome. In a past life I worked for a consolidator along the front range into the tetons, really from Albuqurque to Missioula, You'd know the name. So we bought "x" company from Mr. Jones. at the time it was a maybe 40m top line; I happen to know we wired just over $29 million to Mr. Jones' personal account. Typically we kept the former owners on as long as they wanted, here Mr. Jones had a 5 yr employment agreement. Just one of mabye 50 such transactions we did along that line.

so 3-4 years later I see an obit on the break room refigerator for Mr. Jones. Doubt too many people in the Atlanta HQ had any idea of who he was, but i did. The first paragaraph was the usual. the 2nd paragraph started "Mr. jones enjoyed shopping at costco..."
    "Can't you see..."

Odd things in your will

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I was working at a western mountain park as a ranger when we got a call for an unconscious man. He was in his upper 90s and had been with his family, sitting on a park bench staring at the mountains when he collapsed unconscious, likely from a massive heart attack.

Seemed like such a shame doing CPR on him, any life he had after that would have likely been pretty terrible. But there was no DNR so we worked the code.

But I’ve often thought you couldn’t wish for a better way to go out. Among family, quick, staring at the mountains.

^ Mr. weaver over accross the way had a similar one working in a flower bed on a sept. saturday morning. I've often thought the same.
    "Can't you see..."

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather and not screaming in mortal terror like the passengers in his car. - oldie but a goodie