Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    LOL saw the bump and was reading 1st time.. Was gonna say zoo..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

After the Midway the Maritime Museum is just a couple blocks north and is kinda cool. Though maybe less so after being on the Midway. They had a Russian submarine but I think it is gone now. There have been two carriers parked over at North Island recently. I hear tickets to get on those ones are hard to come by : )

Point Loma / OB has plenty to do. Good seafood at Mitch's and Point Loma Seafood. Shelter Island is cool. Check for any concerts playing at Humphries. Fathom Bistro is nearby at the pier and has good beer and food. Cabrillo National Monument is worth a visit. Pizza Port in OB maybe not the best pizza in town but good and best combo of beer and pizza. Beaches are great. Sunset Cliffs is great for...sunset. But it has become a zoo since covid.

go to la jola

Is El Indio still the place to get burritos? Haven't been to SD since 2004 but the guy I went with lived there for about 10 years and he said El Indio was the best. They were damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Heading to Coronado for the weekend with Mrs Cruiser and 11yo. Prolly gonna hit the zoo on Friday followed by Cocina de Barrio and then Midway on Saturday but looking for other shorter duration fun stuff to do with an active kid if we're on Coronado anyway. Also interested in good tacos, fish tacos, pizza, seafood, whatever. Any cool events going on over the weekend that we should check out?

Thanks in advance for the beta!
    Lots of really great recs already in this thread. My additions.

Clear day view is incredible. Go here. Free and quick.
    https://goo.gl/maps/EtWincTmU6pVzgP57

The view of the city from the Cabrillo Monument at the tip of Point Loma is really nice but requires that you enter the park (the lineup can be long). However, if you get into the park then the modest hiking on the pacific side of the point is kinda cool too ... like La Jolla. Finally, on the road out to the point there are beautiful cemetaries on both sides which are cool to walk around and take in the views while contemplating your navel.
    https://goo.gl/maps/PwxHQYABq8NCqM3E7

We like Ketch on Shelter Island. If you go out to the end of Shelter Island you might get lucky and have a front row seat to the military activity at the base on Coronado. Look for the photoags with tele lenses to know if your timing is good.
    https://goo.gl/maps/ejUNRbWKeJwHchtd6

If you happen to be in Mission Valley (maybe you're going to the mall), this food truck has AWESOME grilled fish burritos
    https://goo.gl/maps/d1e8ii3koZj53xMT8

Que south park
    watch out for snakes

Cruiser, is your kid a boy? You could take the Coaster from downtown to Carlsbad and then Ooober over to Lego Land. Expen$ive, but a fun place for boys to cut loose.

Good food and beer all over North County.

The Coaster also stops in Solana Beach and Encinitas. If it's low tide, you can walk the beach for miles in either direction underneath the cliffs from Encinitas. Fuckin' beautiful there. I once saw the green flash at sunset from the cliffs there. Maybe a ten minute walk from Coaster Station to the surf. That close.

The Solana Beach Coaster station is a very close walk to Pizza Port, where we had a few SoCal Maggot gatherings back in the day. There's another Pizza Port in Carlsbad.

Have fun, Mang!
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Ooober over to Lego Land. Expen$ive, but a fun place for all kids to cut loose.

Have fun, Mang!
    FIFY
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

What should I do in San Diego?

Fish tacos and dip your feet in the pacific.

Fillipis pizza is really good

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

The museums in balboa park are cool.

Go to Don Carlos on pearl st in La Jolla, get food, walk or drive to marine street beach, eat food, jump in ocean, play in waves, explore beach and shoreline. Can also go to windansea beach instead (or in addition). Can probably do something similar at Coronado beach.

Probably some surf classes available, too.

Lots of good suggestions above.

My young kids like the Coronado-downtown ferry ride. Was also cool renting a boat for half day on the bay,...if older jet ski might be option. Groupon has deals.

Maybe not pc, but sea world is fun...rides and animals.

Go bar hopping on Mission Beach.

Judging from what I saw last time I was there, I’d say break into a Sprinter van, sell a surfboard for $20 worth of heroin, and sleep it off in an ATM lobby.

When in Rome…

(J/K, we had a great time there
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Came back to mention Balboa Park and its many museums if you or kiddo are into that sort of thing. Lots of options and easy to get to. If I recall there is a pass you can get for entry into all of them for one price. Haven't been, but I've had Humberto's Taco Shop near Balboa Park recommended a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    Is El Indio still the place to get burritos? Haven't been to SD since 2004 but the guy I went with lived there for about 10 years and he said El Indio was the best. They were damn good.
    Every one here seems to have their favorite taco shop, usually close to where they live. Just means there are lots of good ones and you don't have to go far from wherever you happen to be : ) Each place seems to do a few things really well then the rest are passable quality. Wherever I am, I just pull up yelp or whatever and go to the closest place that has a good rating.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    If you happen to be in Mission Valley (maybe you're going to the mall), this food truck has AWESOME grilled fish burritos
    https://goo.gl/maps/d1e8ii3koZj53xMT8
    Wow, now we're getting into the real locals places. I lived just up the hill from that corner for a few years. Moved back to OB just after Kiko's set up shop at that spot. The fried fish tacos are pretty good too, 3 for $5 on Taco Tuesday. Coincidentally I was there today for just that reason. JV's nearby on Morena Blvd was my go-to when I lived in that area. Roberto's has the best breakfast burritos IMO, just ask for no potatos.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kikos.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	427.3 KB 
ID:	427849

Looks like there’s a red tide, at least by scripps pier. Check out the bioluminescence at night!

I often enjoyed Jimmy Carter’s near balboa park.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Wow, now we're getting into the real locals places. I lived just up the hill from that corner for a few years. Moved back to OB just after Kiko's set up shop at that spot. The fried fish tacos are pretty good too, 3 for $5 on Taco Tuesday. Coincidentally I was there today for just that reason. JV's nearby on Morena Blvd was my go-to when I lived in that area. Roberto's has the best breakfast burritos IMO, just ask for no potatos.
    In all fairness, I have a kid at USD, so not a real local. But I will say, whatever cheese they use for the fish burrito clearly comes from virgin baby cows raised on a grassy field at 10K feet in the alps who only feed on steel cut oats. Or it's govt cheese. Either way, it's probably a good thing I don't live up the hill like you did.

My move when down there is brunch at Cody's in La Jolla - my brother runs the place with his buddy, rent a wetsuit and snorkel The Cove, and then eat and drink my way back to his place in Mission Beach.

If you are in Coronado go here and rent the speedboats
    https://seaforthboatrental.com/
    Active 11 year old will love it. You will probably have a great time also.
    off your knees Louie

Thanks for the recs!

Name:  20220930_163219-01.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  117.9 KB
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

What should I do in San Diego?

Do the sea kayak tour out of La Jolla Shores, into the nearby sea caves. Fucking awesome.

Name:	IMG_5084.JPG 
Views:	42 
Size:	268.2 KB 
ID:	428174

Surf or boogie board as the sun sets:

Name:	IMG_5039.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	272.3 KB 
ID:	428175

Maybe find Pinner and go kayaking?

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ter?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Thanks for the recs!

Name:  20220930_163219-01.jpeg
Views: 244
Size:  117.9 KB
    Sorry we missed you. We were there eating pizza, drinking wine and watching the sun go down.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Bump. Gonna be in SD for about 10 days in early July with the family. We'll be in Gaslamp for the first half, but are looking for something else for the second half. We'd like to stay nearish SD, somewhere that we can walk from the house/resort/hotel to do stuff. Beach would be nice. Been looking at Coronado (I've always wanted to stay at the Del, wife is less interested), but we're pretty open.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Might be pretty gloomy weather in July at the coast. We always stay in Pacific Beach or La Jolla within a block or two of the ocean, usually using our credit card miles. If beachtime is a priority, in coastal pacific beach or La Jolla, you can spend most of your time without driving.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Bump. Gonna be in SD for about 10 days in early July with the family. We'll be in Gaslamp for the first half, but are looking for something else for the second half. We'd like to stay nearish SD, somewhere that we can walk from the house/resort/hotel to do stuff. Beach would be nice. Been looking at Coronado (I've always wanted to stay at the Del, wife is less interested), but we're pretty open.
    How old are your kids? Gaslamp for 5 days might be a bit much unless you like to party. Highly recommend Padres game if they are in town and you are already in the Gaslamp. Easy walk or shuttle to Midway.

I have never stayed at the Del, but judging by the lobby & pool would never want to. But it is an awesome location.