Shotgun Child Bike Seat and Handlebar combo

Sells for $150+, we used this one 10-ish times and will sell for $50, shipping not included. In great condition. A good way to send your kid to the hospital or have a really, really awesome time riding with them. Could go either way depending on how may beers you have.

https://www.rei.com/product/190798/s...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

We loved this thing. I can't ship until mid-next week. Prefer to sell local.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shotgun-kids-seat-review-test-008.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	258.7 KB 
ID:	413924

I saw some people riding with one of those things at Bootleg near Vegas, on a legit black diamond trail. The kid was not wearing a helmet, which seemed like a strange choice. GLWS.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Hey!

Looking to buy your Shotgun seat for our Kiddo, we live in VT, and are willing to pay for shipping.

T

Man I was really hoping that this was a new way to carry both your shotgun and kid at the same time.

Would be handy in bear country!

Kids and I really like ours. Started the middle kid on it around 2 yo and it really helped her balance on her balance bike...and could go on rides with older sister. Went almost daily during the first year of pandemic. I even went bikepacking with her last year and plan to this spring again. Obviously, no high speed or gnar and always a helmet.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 12.50.46 PM.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	522.7 KB 
ID:	413985

My kid loves it as well! She was on it last year before 2 but is pretty big with good head control. Always helmet and gentle paths really. Looking forward to this year!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Trad is rad - I can sell this thing locally instantly for $50. Sorry, I was hoping to hook up someone who posts on this board and not a rando- I've gotten a lot of great advice, a few great deals, and been told to fuck off by so many people here I really wanted to pay it forward. if I just wanted to get rid of it I'd sell it for 75-100 locally.

Just coming in here to ask what, if anything, y'all used before something like this with a younger kiddo. little squatch is turning 1 this week, he seems stoked on the burly trailer for both pavement riding and xc skiing, but kind of thinking about different options that don't put him in his own little bubble for this summer. Or did y'all just wait until your little ones were enough of a human to responsibly hold onto things like handlebars.

I just waited, hikes with younger in pack.

Quote Originally Posted by s_squatch View Post
    Just coming in here to ask what, if anything, y'all used before something like this with a younger kiddo. little squatch is turning 1 this week, he seems stoked on the burly trailer for both pavement riding and xc skiing, but kind of thinking about different options that don't put him in his own little bubble for this summer. Or did y'all just wait until your little ones were enough of a human to responsibly hold onto things like handlebars.
    I'm in the middle of this as well (twin 20 month olds). They're maybe not quite ready for the shotgun seat sort of thing, and regular striders are too difficult in terms of side to side balance at the moment, but we have a strider trike that they're pretty psyched on. Let's them get the general sense for kicking around on wheels without much need for balancing.

Tbd how all of that plays out in the long run.

I got a strider for my little one and she was on it around 1 1/2 which was probably too early. I never pushed it tho, she would stand over it then walk 10 feet and get frustrated. It’s still early season here but at almost 2 1/2 she seems to enjoy it / understand more already.

We have a thule rear bike seat that attaches to the back of my wife’s bike. She likes that as well but it bounces like a MF over even small bumps so for sure only a bike path.

We also have a single seat chariot with the bike attachment. I like this because you can bring lots of crap with you but you for sure feel the weight going up hills and sometimes the kid wants nothing to do with being inside it.

I find all this stuff is just like anything with young kids. One day it’s the best thing ever and all they want and the next you can’t make them get anywhere near it. On a positive note I think most of it holds it’s value for resale pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I got a strider for my little one and she was on it around 1 1/2 which was probably too early. I never pushed it tho, she would stand over it then walk 10 feet and get frustrated. It’s still early season here but at almost 2 1/2 she seems to enjoy it / understand more already.

We have a thule rear bike seat that attaches to the back of my wife’s bike. She likes that as well but it bounces like a MF over even small bumps so for sure only a bike path.

We also have a single seat chariot with the bike attachment. I like this because you can bring lots of crap with you but you for sure feel the weight going up hills and sometimes the kid wants nothing to do with being inside it.

I find all this stuff is just like anything with young kids. One day it’s the best thing ever and all they want and the next you can’t make them get anywhere near it. On a positive note I think most of it holds it’s value for resale pretty well.

Yep, agree with basically all of this. I was shocked how easy to resale the stuff was. For smooth stuff, a rear style seat can work for the younger ones. I think you can do pretty mellow trails with a shotgun/macride whenever the kid seems comfortable with it. Each kid is a bit different but I feel like we were using that pretty regularly starting around 2. Then once they get a little older you’d be amazed what you can ride safely with them.

Also, younger boy talking shit to his two older brothers (who were pedaling their own bikes) while just sitting on the shotgun seat and I was doing all the pedaling never ceased to entertain me.

The iBert is the seat you're looking for. My kids are all 2 years apart. Our kids all went:

Chariot->iBert->Mac-Ride->Tag-along->Pedal bikes

The strider entered somewhere in the iBert/Mac-Ride eras. On some rides I would bring everything - felt like a freight train - which gave our kids an option of sitting/sleeping in the chariot, riding the tag or sitting up front.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Freight train awesome! That is wicked

We went slightly different route with our boys 6yo son.

Strider around 14mo? ---> oset mototrials around 27 mo --> pedal bike around 4 or 5 yo.

For our 28 mo daughter. Balance trike thing around 18 mo --> strider --> getting Mac ride --> oset mototrials whenever she starts coasting well on the strider --> pedal when she's coordinated and big enough to pedals

Both the balance bike live inside like others toys... with outings whenever appropriate.

My wife is especially looking forward to the Mac ride. I am too.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Just to pile on: both kids loved the Shotgun seat. I threw it on an old dedicated single speed and mostly use it for mellow lift-access stuff at JHMR. The combo of strider bike plus Shotgun laps made the transition for my oldest to riding by himself super easy (He's almost 6 y/o now). And he rips now. My second (4.5 y/o girl) is gonna transition off the shotgun for park laps to her own bike this year. She was ready last year and rode local singletrack on her own but at the village they make you use 20" minimum wheel size because of the lift mechanism. I do have both kids in full face helmets with collars to at least mitigate some potential neck injury risks but never even felt close to losing them. Oh, and I put road bike handlebar tape on my handlebar to make it easier to grip for the shotgun passenger. I think their semi-active participation in learning to stand over bumps and lean the bike is a big deal.

Other stuff that has worked great for us: Towhee bungee tow straps (you tow them on the uphill and then switch places and can help them brake on the downhill). Woom Off Air 4 and Spawn Yama Jama bikes are best so far.

Quote Originally Posted by aBradAbroad View Post
    Just to pile on: both kids loved the Shotgun seat. I threw it on an old dedicated single speed and mostly use it for mellow lift-access stuff at JHMR. The combo of strider bike plus Shotgun laps made the transition for my oldest to riding by himself super easy (He's almost 6 y/o now). And he rips now. My second (4.5 y/o girl) is gonna transition off the shotgun for park laps to her own bike this year. She was ready last year and rode local singletrack on her own but at the village they make you use 20" minimum wheel size because of the lift mechanism. I do have both kids in full face helmets with collars to at least mitigate some potential neck injury risks but never even felt close to losing them. Oh, and I put road bike handlebar tape on my handlebar to make it easier to grip for the shotgun passenger. I think their semi-active participation in learning to stand over bumps and lean the bike is a big deal.

Other stuff that has worked great for us: Towhee bungee tow straps (you tow them on the uphill and then switch places and can help them brake on the downhill). Woom Off Air 4 and Spawn Yama Jama bikes are best so far.
    Ah... Thanks for mentioning both the bar tape and the tow-whee. We use(d) both also!

Seth

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Good to know! Was wondering about the toweee

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB