Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stockli Stormrider 95 for a strong lady?

Subject: 26 year old woman. Skiing (UT and Austria) since age 3. 5' 5". 120ish. 40+ days/yr. since age 10. Great teachers at Snowbird, St. Anton and Park City. Started teaching at Snowbird (Junior Instructor) at age 15 and DV at age 17. Canyons at age 22. On skis 12 most./yr from age 13-16 (some indoors with teflon base on machine). Skis everything from steep pow (Cirque, Alf's, Milk Run) to sweet corduroy fluidly. Great physical and mental talent.

Current quiver: Blizzard Samba; Kastle BMX 105HP; DPS Yvette 112. (Lengths 166-168).

The Sambas need to be replaced. Before the Samba, she skied a Volkl Aura. I think that the Stormrider 95 fits in here nicely. The 2021 SR95 has a soft shovel, but is otherwise very stable. The 2022 has a bit of a stiffer shovel. It is certainly not as demanding as the 105HP, but it will be used primarily as a frontside ski. Other considerations are the Rustler (Sheeva) 9, Santa Ana 94, Secret 96.

Where are the Maggettes when you need them?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I’ve never understood the reputation of stocklis being demanding. I owned asteroids and DP pros. Even the 201 dp pros were easy to ski considering their length. Still have a pair of 184 dp pros for groomer skiing, they’re basically my slalom skis despite having a 25+m turn radius.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Charging women ski charging skis.

But 120 weight is her limitation.

My bride loves the yvette for pow, but also chose the metal kendo over the softer Kendra.

But 105hp is a strong ski. And your gal skis that already.

I bet your gal could rock a storm rider.

Biggest question is not can she ski it. She can.
    Better question is does she like it’s style.

Exactly. The thing is the Yvette is pretty playful and the 105HP is not. She is a great ski carver. The Samba is the women's Bonafide (I think). Before the Samba she skied the Aura (women Mantra). I think that most, if not all of the carving skis that I mentioned above are fairly similar, but the Stockli just takes it to the next level of refinement. They are damp in a good way. Light for two sheets of metal, and except for the soft tip, stable as anything.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Exactly. The thing is the Yvette is pretty playful and the 105HP is not. She is a great ski carver. The Samba is the women's Bonafide (I think). Before the Samba she skied the Aura (women Mantra). I think that most, if not all of the carving skis that I mentioned above are fairly similar, but the Stockli just takes it to the next level of refinement. They are damp in a good way. Light for two sheets of metal, and except for the soft tip, stable as anything.
    The Stormrider 95 is a great ski, but I'd question whether she wants to go with a 166 - I ski the 175 at 5'8" and 175 lbs. and all my other skis are between 183 and 188. The 175 SR 95 feels like it's 10cm longer even when you're going really fast (I skied the 184 first and it felt planky). Skiing "long" holds true for all the Stormrider/Nela skis, the Nela 96 in 156 would be my pick.

If she loves the Samba, the Black Pearl 97 (yes, I've skied it) is better in pretty much every way . . .

Here's a pair for ya:

https://lonepinegearx.com/collection...bindings-01934

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I don't know much about Stocklis, but of the alternatives you mention the Sheeva is a different kind of ski and the Enforcer tips can be a bit vague on ice (maybe not for her if she's a strong carver, but for me the 88s were).

I've been all kinds of impressed with the Mantra 102 this year, so the Secret 96 should be a solid choice. Maybe even consider dropping down to next years Kendo/Kenja 88?

At her weight they should float fine in shallow soft, carve, be nimble etc.

Someone mentioned the Stormrider Motion 100, but I can find them only in 157. She has not skied a sub-165 ski since she was 15.
    Also have heard good things about the FX96 Women's

Quote Originally Posted by sf View Post

I've been all kinds of impressed with the Mantra 102 this year, so the Secret 96 should be a solid choice.
    +1. Wife (10 lbs heavier, advanced, no instructional background) picked up a Secret 96 as a low tide ski in Jan, and other than on deep days, doesn't reach for her Santa Ana 104 or Sheeva 10s anymore. Blister has some good info on em. No SR 95 experience unfortunately, but it sounds like a really good ski for a great skier.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
    +1. Wife (10 lbs heavier, advanced, no instructional background) picked up a Secret 96 as a low tide ski in Jan
    For another option, My GF was looking at 3 skis, Stance 94, Secret 96 and Faction Dictator 2.0x (96 underfoot). Got the Factions and loves them. 2 sheets of metal, a bit softer and more rocker than the Volkl.

Last edited by lrn2swim; 04-22-2022 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Double post

I don't know anything about stockli other than that I would love to try some... but have you considered something from the mantra series?

My wife is an intermediate skier and borrowed my 177 katanas for a day and had zero problems. She didn't take them anywhere overly demanding but still... not punishing at all. And those are my DD's... and reward charging as well as they don't punish noodling around.

In the mantra you could go M102 or M6 depending on what waist width you want and have a similar experience.

If you're interested in the 102, I can PM you a link to a cheap pair of new ones. I don't want to post publicly because I'm still considering buying a pair for my wife.

Edit: I'm late to the party on this recommendation.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

For all the Volkl love out there, it is my opinion that Volkls are fine mass produced products. However, I have owned many volkls and my wife's pair (depicted) is representative and typical
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2253.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	608.8 KB 
ID:	413998
    You would hardly ever see a pair of Stockli's in that shape. So while Volkls are on her short list, they may not make the grade for what she is looking for right now.

^^^ huh... I've never seen anything like that on any pair of skis I've owned. They look, even apart from the delam, that they have been smashed into the ground a LOT.

Is she using them as a walking pole or something?
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    ^^^ huh... I've never seen anything like that on any pair of skis I've owned. They look, even apart from the delam, that they have been smashed into the ground a LOT.

Is she using them as a walking pole or something?
    Fwiw, that's happened to all 3 pairs of Nordica skis I and my girlfriend have had. Nothing newer than 2015 models though

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You would hardly ever see a pair of Stockli's in that shape. So while Volkls are on her short list, they may not make the grade for what she is looking for right now.
    She's looking for a ski she can jam into 10 inches of snow with impunity? Works just as well for me if you just leave them lying in the snow.

At any rate, Stormriders/Nelas have a 1/4" chunk of aluminum with the serial # engraved in it stuck in the tail, probably pretty immune to that kind of damage.

Those Kenjas are old and have served my wife well. I'm not complaining about Volkls. Rather, just opining that they are no longer as well made as Stocklis. It seems that the days of the original 1st gen. Mantra and/or Katana are long gone. Personally, I am a huge fan of metal top sheets.

Those Kenjas are old and have served my wife well. I'm not complaining about Volkls. Rather, just opining that they are no longer as well made as Stocklis. It seems that the days of the original 1st gen. Mantra and/or Katana are long gone. Personally, I am a huge fan of metal top sheets.
    The Stöckli built quality is incredible for sure, but I don't think Völkl's is far off. The best skis in every factory are built by certain people - they are all built by "hand" but some hands are more skilled than others.

The decision to include a tail protector is not an indicator of build quality, it does add to cost but it's more of a no-brainer if your tails are flat and not rockered.

I demoed the SR 88, 95 and 102 this season and the 95 was by far my favorite of the 3. That ski rips. You should definitely pick up a pair for your lady ripper.

Stockli Stormrider 95 for a strong lady?

Personally, I am a huge fan of metal top sheets.
    Stockli markets the ti topsheet as a weight reduction feature and has had to employ special coatings to prevent scratching of the exposed ti layer. It’s not any more durable than a traditional nylon topsheet but it does probably ski better than a ski without full width ti.

I’d be happy with a pair of SR95’s for sure. I was tempted to buy a pair of 19x in CH.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Stockli markets the ti topsheet as a weight reduction feature and has had to employ special coatings to prevent scratching of the exposed ti layer. It’s not any more durable than a traditional nylon topsheet but it does probably ski better than a ski without full width ti.

I’d be happy with a pair of SR95’s for sure. I was tempted to buy a pair of 19x in CH.
    Did upgrade to the 194 for the r99? I’m sticking with the 188

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My wife is 5 ft 4 in, 120lbs, advanced to expert skier. She picked up a pair of Stormrider 105s that are, I think, 168 long. They are big skis for her, but she rips on them and loves them so much that I am looking for 88s or 95s as well.

She also has black pearl 88s, Rossi saffron 7s, g3 zenoxides for touring, race stock slaloms, and probably some other skis I'm forgetting. The stockli's are probably her favorite skis of the lot. Watching her ski, it is clear that the skis reward a foreward stance and respond really well to being driven in the fall line.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Did upgrade to the 194 for the r99? I’m sticking with the 188

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I wound up picking up a pair of SR 95 166 and Santa Ana 93 165. Funny that I could have bought two pair of Santa Ana for the price of the Stocklis. I'll stick demo Wardens on both, let her make up her mind, and give the leftovers to my wife. Her old Auras are ready for a fence
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 04-29-2022 at 11:13 AM.

The new Salomon Strive demos ski better. Tried ‘em on a stockli montero sx.