Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fixin an old fat chance ti

So i posted before how i came into this frame. My neighbor has had the bike for years in declining states of disrepair and would not sell. He doesn't ride anymore due to injuries and gettin older.
    I found it one day in my yard stacked in some bushes supporting a makeshift fence while some landscaping was done. I grabbed it, told him I was taking it.
    Fast forward a year or two, and now i am finally getting around to working on it. First stumble. All the steel inserts for water bottle holders were rusted out. So... Hacksaw comes out to cut the bolts. Remove the inserts.

Question... Who would put new ones in?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220422_000855360.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	413911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220422_000848654.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	413912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220422_001217575.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	413913
    sigless.

Aren't those bottle inserts just nutserts? Kind of a riveted in insert.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Aren't those bottle inserts just nutserts? Kind of a riveted in insert.
    They’re brazed in usually

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So a good bike ought to know what to do, have parts? I don't believe these were brazed in. I think they must have been press fit.
    Rivnut apparently will work. I'll call a few shops instead of working tomorrow.
    sigless.

Used to be common to braze then in on nice steel bikes, but very normal to use a rivnut also. Looks like that's what you have.

It's common in shops to have the rivnut tool cuz you can use it to tighten up loose ones, or replace em.

On a Ti frame, would brazing work? The pic of what came out of the frame, and of the bare frame, looks like rivnuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

https://www.fastenal.com/product/details/0125651

There we go. I think i will just call a few shops tomorrow and find one who can just do it. Looks like it should take minutes to get the all done.
    sigless.

Not saying it won't work, but a better option might be to hit up a local frame builder. Might I recommend.....

https://waltworks.com

Thanks, I'll call them as well tomorrow.

Completed rebuilding the fork that was attached, appears to be a 2001 Marzocchi z4 air oil fork. Severe clean, fresh oil, and new orings. It cleaned up nicely and feels nice and smooth. If i recall correctly these bomber forks were decent back in the day. It's setup for 80mm travel which probably suits the frame just fine.

Name:	PXL_20220422_051654061.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	413934
    sigless.

This is rad! Excited to see how this ends up!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

x2 and yes those forks were pretty damn good.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Fixin an old fat chance ti

I got that fork from a mag and I think it’s pretty damn good too. It’s so much better than the Rockshox Judy SL it replaced, it feels modern by comparison. Psyched to see how this project turns out.
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 04-22-2022 at 07:34 AM.

Cool project. I noted that Chris Chance is back and they had a booth at Sea Otter. I lusted hard after a Yo Eddy in the 90s.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_con...ature=emb_logo
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

This is awesome. Glad it's getting a new life. waltworks and saltair cycles are both local SLC, either could probably assist. If you can't find some assistance let me know. I have some folks I can reach out to to see who they may recommend, as well as some welders I know who are also bike mechanics.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Thanks, I'll call them as well tomorrow.

Completed rebuilding the fork that was attached, appears to be a 2001 Marzocchi z4 air oil fork. Severe clean, fresh oil, and new orings. It cleaned up nicely and feels nice and smooth. If i recall correctly these bomber forks were decent back in the day. It's setup for 80mm travel which probably suits the frame just fine.

Name:	PXL_20220422_051654061.jpeg 
Views:	78 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	413934
    I had a catastrophic z1 wedge failure with both stanchions snapping off below the crown in 2007 which left me with 3 vertebrae compression fractures, a skull fracture, and a total loss of hearing in one ear. I'm sure for a retro build for mellow cruising it's fine, but seeing that fork photo gave me a PTSD shudder! haha

Progress. Man, i used to horde shit. Got this thing mostly back together with random parts. Got LX rear brakes, rear wheel, rear derailleur, rear brake lever and shifter (7speed). I haven't even had to go to the store for anything yet. I'd love to get rid of this XT crank set that looks like shit, and get something a little more period, older XT, or some race face turbines. I also need a new 1" headset. If i can get a threaded one then i can use my mag 21 i have laying around. If you have cheap cool older parts laying around, shoot me a pm. Should be rideable soon... I will need a front 3 ring shifter. Don't have one of those at the moment. I nicer cockpit (stem handlebar) will be on the list also, and ideally a nicer set of wheels and 8 speed XT kit. First priority is to get it rideable so when it dries out, i can go ride a fat ti.

Name:	PXL_20220423_010238222.jpeg 
Views:	65 
Size:	176.5 KB 
ID:	414035
    sigless.

That thing really needs a flat bar with bar ends. I think I threw all mine away unfortunately!

Well fuckin eh, it's a bike.
    Does need a front shifter, but you can ride around in the middle ring.

Name:	PXL_20220423_044759986.jpeg 
Views:	68 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	414056
    sigless.

Kind of ironic that you need a front shifter, considering those are like tits on a bull these days. I'm happy to send you some of mine if there's nothing available locally.

I have a brand new Sram X9 triple shifter for you if you want it for the cost of shipping.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

If anybody has a chance to buy Danny Noonan a beer, well, you should... Thanks Danny!
    sigless.

Old ti bikes are dope. That is the best fork from the era.

Here's my build -- Diamondback Axis Ti. Random rigid fork. Singlespeed (flirted with going 1x9/10 etc). Big fat tires. I've since thrown a basket on the front. It lives outside as my grab and go cafe/grocery/bar bike.

From a super vanity point of view I want to bling it out with some anodized bits: chainring bolts, stem caps, seatpost clamp. Oil slick? Purple? Someone has to make "pimp my bike" packages right?

Name:	yf1qxejs34j71.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	340.6 KB 
ID:	415322

^^ that's a fun looking bike. I'd keep it all monochrome if it was me. I like it.

Took the fat chance ti for a ride today, and it climbs nicely, but something is up with the fork. The legs seem to have a little front to back play, feels a little sketchy. I think i am going to pull it and use a good condition Rock Shox mag 21 I have laying around. I'm going to have to switch to a threaded headset and stem.
    sigless.

Ordered up some reproduction water transfer decals, so i decided the frame needed a freshening up. I found on YouTube that to create the factory brushed finish, hit it with some scotchbrite pads. So it did, and it looks way better.
    Found some XT hubs and Mavic rims, and a matching XT rear derailleur. Combined with a few parts from dannynoonan, parts selection is getting there. Found a new old stock deore 1" threaded headset. Toilet the zones off and going to install the old mag 21. eBay provided a nice looking Syncros stem. eBay is bringing a set of raceface deus cranks, and that will take car of most of the stuff.

Name:	PXL_20220515_200053811.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	416467Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220513_232103123.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	132.2 KB 
ID:	416468
    sigless.

Alright, that's a wrap.
    Thanks DannyNoonan for the shifters and cassette! Sssink made some nice decals, and they were surprisingly easy to apply.
    We have, a fat city cycles fat chance ti with a mag 21. Rolling on XT hubs, Mavic 517 and 220 rims, XT cassette, XT front and rear derailleurs, XT shifters, raceface deus xc crankset, LX brakes, día comp levers, Syncros stem, Thompson post and no name bar. Thanks to the free frame, some internet buddies, and eBay, this was pretty cheap to throw together. One decal is slightly tilted grrr. Good thing they sent spares.
    Been riding the IF deluxe lately, it will be interesting to see how this bike feels relative to that. And that handlebar... So narrow...hmmm.

Name:	PXL_20220519_045142291.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	146.6 KB 
ID:	416815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220519_050006006.PORTRAIT.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	145.3 KB 
ID:	416816
    sigless.