Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How long will it take before gambling corrupts all sports?

Some will say it already has and I'm sure it has to some extent. I posted in the Things That Annoy You thread a while back my bitch about the constant bombardment of commercials for gambling web sites with their Can't Miss incentive offers to get you to sign up on their sites.

I was playing golf with some college age kids last year and they were on their phones checking scores and talking about who they bet on, how much, etc. I realized that this is the newest thing with the younger generation, as well as older people. Obviously college players going pro are aware of it and many doing it so it follows that soon these players will be either betting on games themselves or at least have friends that will be. Years ago it was mainly football that people bet on, some people casually and others more die hard. Now you see it in the middle of golf tournaments lines will come up on golfers. It is getting insane and I think it is just a question of When rather than Will It.

I was just driving and listening to ESPN radio and they were talking about the same thing. I enjoy watching sports on TV and am wondering when it will all become like professional wrestling where everything is fake and everyone knows it. Also, I would imagine there are going to be many people who's lives will be ruined due to the ease of placing bets.

Are we taking bets on how long?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I don’t think widespread gambling has ruined European soccer, if anything it perhaps increased interest among some in lower division teams.

I think us leagues & more so sportswriters are utterly unsustainable in their moralizing about players gambling while taking bags of cash from gambling

Shoeless Joe and his teammates already ruined it for me

if it gets the media to shut up about fantasy leagues & drafts or "e-sports", maybe it will be worth it
    more likely tho, it will make it worse

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I don’t think widespread gambling has ruined European soccer, if anything it perhaps increased interest among some in lower division teams.

I think us leagues & more so sportswriters are utterly unsustainable in their moralizing about players gambling while taking bags of cash from gambling
    dude, whaaa?
    from here (whole article is worth a read)

https://globalsportmatters.com/cultu...tional-soccer/

Going into the 2021-22 English Premier League season, nine of the 20 teams had an online betting company as their main jersey sponsor, ranging from Hollywoodbets to Fun88 to ManBetX. Several more teams had a betting sponsor on their jersey sleeves. All 20 teams had an official betting partner. The prior season, Leicester City was sponsored by four different betting companies. A lot of those sponsors are foreign and operate outside the United Kingdom.

Two Premier League teams, Brentford and Brighton, are owned by English professional sports bettors who grew so successful that they began buying up a consortium of teams they once might have placed their wagers on. This is what happens when betting is given free rein on a country’s sports scene. It slowly consumes the culture.

Things have gotten so bad in the UK that the country’s parliament is expected to ban betting companies from buying jersey sponsorships by 2023, following similar bans in Italy and Spain, in order to break gambling’s stranglehold on the national pastime. But that won’t alleviate the other insidious ways in which betting has burrowed into the game. English gamblers report that the freedom to bet on just about anything you can imagine in soccer – which team gets the first corner kick; which manager will be fired next; which team has the most possession of the ball; etc. – rewires their brains to watch the sport entirely differently. Rather than watch the action, they keep contemplating prop bets. Their relationship to the sport has fundamentally changed.

And the more gambling seeps into the sport, the shorter the leap from participation to manipulation becomes.
    It is pervasive in Brazillian, Korean, and African leagues but it doesnt stop there

Juventus are MASSIVE in all of Europe

Juventus were involved in an Italian match fixing scandal back in 2006 that saw them demoted to Serie B and stripped of their 2005 and 2006 Serie A league titles.

Former Juventus director Luciano Moggi was sentenced to five years and four months in prison whilst Fiorentina owners Andrea Della Valle and Diego Della Valle received 15-month prison sentences and a €25,000 fine each.

Lazio president Claudio Lotito also suffered a 15-month sentence with €25,000 fine whilst AC Milan executive Leonardo Meani was given a one-year sentence.

16 persons were found guilty in all, and it has taken Italian football a long time to recover.

Moggi's offence was being found guilty of criminal association aimed at committing sports fraud.
    Liverpools golakeeper was accused and proven innocent ( like Pete Rose in the 90s

France
    Marseille won four league titles between 1989 and 1992 under the guidance of Bernard Tapie, as well as a UEFA Champions League trophy to boot.

The foundations of a great Marseille side came crumbling down in 1993 when it emerged that Tapie was involved in match fixing.

Marseille were stripped of their league title, banned from entering the Champions League and banned from entering the Intercontinental Cup.

Tapie received two years in prison whilst Marseille suffered financial problems and were demoted to Ligue 2.

Marseille were managed by Raymond Goethals at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Shoeless Joe and his teammates already ruined it for me
    Say it ain’t so

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Curling is the only safe bet.

Some say over 100 years ago my grandpa said everything on tv. Was rigged

If you bet on it your just guessing what someone else had already decided
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I don't know, it seems like gambling is a phase lots of people go through in their twenties and most (but clearly not all) eventually lose interest. It doesn't seem to me that gambling is really on the upswing for the majority of the population.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I don't know, it seems like gambling is a phase lots of people go through in their twenties and most (but clearly not all) eventually lose interest. It doesn't seem to me that gambling is really on the upswing for the majority of the population.
    There’s a 12 step program for it.

As Harvey said
    To much of anything is bound to cause problems
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The sports book commercials I see while watching games make me sick. Just as bad are the ones that give you steps to bet responsibility. What a crock of shit. There will be a generation if kids with a gambling issue.
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

Jordan Spieth missing 3-footers seems pretty sus.

The kids will be fine, they can always whore themselves out on OnlyFans.

It might make things more honest, since everybody with money in it will be looking for evidence of shady shit 24/7

Just like the stock market, nothing shady to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    The kids will be fine, they can always whore themselves out on OnlyFans.
    someones getting laid at member partys

It's the worst. Every commercial break is:

-bettting app ad with some celebrity in it
    -truck ad
    -betting app ad with lame CGI and no celebrity
    x4

then once in a while we get a random ad of something else, usually a big box store.

2nd intermission of the hockey game last week, and what is the segment? No, not some pukes sitting around a desk talking about the league or team or whatever, but instead it's 2 young guys going over the betting lines and what action they've got going on in their phone apps. It's terrible!

WHERE'S THE CLEVER BEER COMMERCIALS? WHERE ARE THE FUNNY SNACK COMMERCIALS? They're gone!

The worst is when someone my age (40's) starts talking about what they've bet on that night like I think it's cool or something. Like, dude, I just want to watch sports to see what happens, no other reason. Remember when we used to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by paulster2626 View Post
    I
    WHERE'S THE CLEVER BEER COMMERCIALS? WHERE ARE THE FUNNY SNACK COMMERCIALS? They're gone!
    You guys are probably missing out in Canada. Our clever beer and snack commercials have been largely replaced by clever insurance commercials from GEICO and Progressive.

Talking about who/what you bet on is on slightly worse than talking about your fantasy team to people not in your legue de sport

moar sports talk, whos rising, who is fading, remember when, have you seen. you have to see
    that type shit.

with the new MLB sponsor rules its gonna be all crypto and gambling sites

Pete Rose still wont be allowed in the HOF...

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Pete Rose still wont be allowed in the HOF...
    Wanna bet?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

loser gets the Pete Rose haircut?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    loser gets the Pete Rose haircut?
    I don't think I could genetically pull that off, but go Pete go!
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The biggest tragedy about Pete Rose is that erasing him from the baseball zeitgeist robs us of a mode of baseball player I absolutely love. The guy who bunts with a 6 run lead and really tries to injure middle infielders breaking up double plays and just generally plays the fuck out of every minute he’s on the field.
    Yeah, throw at him, he’ll take the base and spike your shortstop stealing 2nd. Talk shit, it just makes him play harder. I love those guys, and Pete Rose is the all time king of those guys.