Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What spring glove do I want?

I need gloves for when it's a bit warmer out. Generally my hands run pretty warm, so I'm using some super thin fleece Dakines which are kinda miserable to pole in (fleece palms.)

I was thinking Flylow Tough Guy or Ridge, but I'm worried they may be too warm. So then I was thinking the Flylow DB or Surf. Any idea which of these is actually lightweight? Does anyone have aa nice lightweight leather palmed glove to recommend?

What spring glove do I want?

Not Flylow DB: it has a cloth insert and once your hands start sweating it sticks such that you pull the insert inside out if you pull your hand out of the glove . If you ran cold, I’d say go for it. It is less insulated that the ridge or tough guy, so those are prolly too warm too

Consider a liner-less goat skin glove…maybe Kinco has something

Or maybe XC gloves

I got some Swix spring gloves awhile back that seem fine--they were cheap. I also randomly ended up with some Burtons many years ago and they're still going strong (no idea if they even still exist, but they work well).

FWIW I can't imagine using the Toughguys, unless there's some lighter version. I use those as my main winter gloves (great for working on netting, ropes, stuff that might beat up a lesser glove) and they're warm as fuck. I only switch to warmer gloves when it gets into low single digits, so IMO definitely not spring gloves.
    [quote][//quote]

Moto gloves work well in the spring as do the Mechanics. I've also used winter road cycling gloves like Pearl Izumi to xc ski.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I just use my mtb gloves for spring skiing/touring. Lightweight with leather palms

I love my Hestra Ergo Actives in almost all condtions. Leather Palm and windstopper back. They are lined if that is a concern.

I have mentioned them other places, but Hestra makes work gloves that are $20 and unlined. The cut/fit is nowhere near as good as the Ergo but the price <20%.

job.hestragloves.com

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post

Consider a liner-less goat skin glove…maybe Kinco has something
    I use these:

https://www.costco.com/wells-lamont-...100698771.html

Unlined, durable, cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I dig the Outdoor Research Stormtracker. Perfect for temps 25-50F, leather palms, softshell back.

BD’s in the dog house but they have some good options. Tough guy or Kinco would be too warm for me.

BD Light or Midweight Softshell has been great for general spring touring. Warm enough for chilly mornings but not too warm for the afternoon; a touch of water resistance.

BD Trekker is a great for really warm - thin leather palm and mesh back.

BD Mt Blanc and WIND HOOD GRIDTECH GLOVES look intriguing too

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I use a Pearl Izumi goretex shell glove. Breathes OK, no liner to pull out, thin, durable. They don’t make it anymore, but something like it is great, also XC gloves work really well too. I have a Swix Jessie Diggins model. Borax: very nice.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Since your hands run warm as you say, then I would look at a Mtb glove. Free the Powder makes awesome gloves. Maybe look at their Spring/BC ski glove as well. It’s pretty much all I wear all ski season as my hands run warm but can get too warm when it’s around 45deg.

https://www.freethepowder.com/collec...in-bike-gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I dig the Outdoor Research Stormtracker. Perfect for temps 25-50F, leather palms, softshell back.
    These are what I use too. They really kick ass. Breathable, but keep the wind and snow out easily. I use them for the uphill on most winter tours and put something warmer on for the down. During the spring I have a pair of latex palmed work gloves/no gloves for the uphill and use the OR gloves for the downhill/if things get cold and windy.

I have a set of leather/tan black diamond linerless ones. Can't seem to find them on the website but they work great. I usually get way too hot in my hestras, even mid winter.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I use these:

https://www.costco.com/wells-lamont-...100698771.html

Unlined, durable, cheap.
    I use something like that from WL. They’ve got a Hydrahide leather palm and fingers with a mesh like stretchy back. More breathable than all leather. $12 at ACE

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Once the temps are above freezing I'm also using MTB/Moto gloves while I tour. I'm surprised to see a recommendation for the OR Stormtracker up to 50F, I'd soak them from the inside out at that temp.

I've been using Burton gloves a lot this winter, mostly the Tech glove in both leather and softshell versions. I carry the Burton AK Guide glove too just in case my hands get wet and cold but I find them to be too warm in almost all conditions. If I'm headed up high on a volcano in spring conditions where I might be concerned about changing weather then I'll bring them in case things go very poorly and I need to get my hands warm.

Haglofs Touring glove. Weird sizing, comfortable, durable, agile

I have TNF futurelight gloves in Medium that I got from phall for $20. Too cold for me during winter - might work for well for spring!

dakine crossfire
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I've had great luck with nitrile coated fleece lined work gloves. They're cheap, warm, comfortable, and available at any home improvement store.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I like MTB gloves going up and stormtrackers down for 20-40 or so above that I just wear MTB gloves the whole time

Truck gloves Tour glove, or their unlined work gloves.

Best value around.

Lots of good in expensive options from Hestra JOB and they're DAF.

Those ergo hestras are the shit for cooler spring/warmer winter, but definitely too warm for corn spring imo. I use OR sunshade full finger gloves for that. They kinda suck but are cheapish and I don’t get blisters on my hands (heh heh) and aren’t too goddamned hot like every other glove.

I like BD torque gloves, though I got mine on sale for $20. Ice climbing gloves with a nice sticky grip, low profile. The palms and fingers are holding up ok even though I used them most of the season.

I'm in the XC glove camp. Come in different insulation weights and the SWIX ones that I have are probably the most dextrous gloves I've got. Only cost $30-$40 too. If it gets cold I carry an old beat pair of Hestra Fall lines. Not much insulation value left in them so they seem to become better spring gloves with every passing year.