Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Brings back memories of bike trips as a child. Top tube adapters, pulling pedals, bungee-ing towels to chainstays just to pack 4 bikes. Good times.
    Heh. Definitely. I've put in a lot of miles with one of those strap on Hollywood racks, which are extraordinarily effective at damaging both the bikes and the car.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You can get extra long drop bars that'd probably accomplish what you need. Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...CURT/D-26.html
    That’s a good idea, but I have one of those stabilizer hitch systems that are not really customizable.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That’s a good idea, but I have one of those stabilizer hitch systems that are not really customizable.
    Not sure how your stabilizer hitch is set up, but mine just bolts into a shank. If that's how yours is, the bolt spacing is pretty standard and you can get shanks that stick out more. Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RT/C17122.html

Not as cheap as a simple extension, but a lot more solid. Those extensions cut your towing capacity way down.

Among other reasons that have already been stated, Allen doesn't make a 4 bike tray rack.

If you want an Allen rack to hold 4 bikes, they're going to be hanging from the top tube. Which doesn't work with almost any modern mountain bike. And even if you use one of those shitty top tube adaptors, the bikes are swinging around and banging into each other. But I guess if you want to subject $20,000 worth of bikes to that so that you can save a few hundred on your rack, it'll technically work.
    This all makes a lot of sense. Those top tube adapters are shit. I didn't consider mountain bikes bumping in into each other. They are gritty machines that are bound to be beat up. Then again, my bikes are all 7-10 year old 26" beat up clunkers.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I used to think Kuat was the Crank Bros of racks. Look pretty, no functional advantage, fiddly bits broke a lot. This thread has me agreeing I see a lot of them around for a long time still working and not showing much wear. Also agree the warranty is kick-ass when the fiddly bits break, which seems to be less these days anyway. A reluctant thumbs up here. And $500 is a great price for a top tier four bike rack.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

If your buddy is willing to warranty parts, then I'd buy the rack in a second. My NV core is 10 years old. But Kuat has literally sent me enough free replacement parts so that I have one part of the original rack.

I got rear ended ten years ago by a jackass on his cell phone texting. Küat thought that my version of events was entertaining enough to basically send me a new rack. Impressed.

I have a kuat 3 bike tray rack. the connection to the male part of the rack that fits into the hitch has been loose since day 1, and will become loose 2 mins after re-tighting. Its scary as shit with how much it wobbles and i still have a small pit in my stomach when loading up thinking its gonna fall apart on the road. That said, it functionally works fine, and has been functioning fine for going on 6 years now including a decent amount of logging road shuttles. When my 4runner finally dies someday in the hopefully distant future i am looking forward to getting a truck so i can just toss bikes on the tailgate, and skis in the bed. Till then, ima keep rolling the dice. with an SUV its a real PITA to have a NSR because you cant access the back easily, whereas now i can just roll my rear window down and have easy access even with a fully loaded rack.

I've got a Kuat NV2.0 and a Kuat Pivot swing out adapter that I'm looking to sell. $400 for the rack, $300 for the Pivot. Rack has some cosmetic scratches but is in good condition. Pivot is in great condition. Located in CO if anyone is interested.

It’s like the difference between a Huffy and a real Bike Shop bike, IMO.
    Materials, welding quality, durability, ease of use, and a ridiculously awesome warranty program.
    I had a Kuat for a few days before I returned it. There was waaaaaay too much colored plastic shit on it. When you compare it to the 1UP rack it's like the difference between a Huffy and a Bike Shop bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    I had a Kuat for a few days before I returned it. There was waaaaaay too much colored plastic shit on it. When you compare it to the 1UP rack it's like the difference between a Huffy and a Bike Shop bike.
    My kuat is all black and barely has any plastic on it. It also carries 4 bikes, which is 2 more than any 1UP can carry.

My kuat is all black and barely has any plastic on it. It also carries 4 bikes, which is 2 more than any 1UP can carry.
    It was a number of years ago, maybe they've removed some of the plastic. Not sure what you're talking about, my 1UP carries 4 bikes too.

Edit: Just passed one in the school drop off line. Still covered in plastic shit. Plastic wheel trays, plastic buttons, plastic knobs, plastic hold down arms, and those little pieces of plastic glued to the bottom of the wheel straps, (just why?) I get it, they look cool and they matchy matchy your Crosstrek.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I have a kuat 3 bike tray rack. the connection to the male part of the rack that fits into the hitch has been loose since day 1, and will become loose 2 mins after re-tighting. Its scary as shit with how much it wobbles and i still have a small pit in my stomach when loading up thinking its gonna fall apart on the road. That said, it functionally works fine, and has been functioning fine for going on 6 years now including a decent amount of logging road shuttles. When my 4runner finally dies someday in the hopefully distant future i am looking forward to getting a truck so i can just toss bikes on the tailgate, and skis in the bed. Till then, ima keep rolling the dice. with an SUV its a real PITA to have a NSR because you cant access the back easily, whereas now i can just roll my rear window down and have easy access even with a fully loaded rack.
    Do you use the 8mm wrench to tighten the rack into the hitch? That’s really the only way that works.

Do you use the 8mm wrench to tighten the rack into the hitch? That’s really the only way that works.
    The 2" hitch adapter fits snug in my cars hitch (and id just use beer cans to shim if it didnt). The issue is the 2" adapter loosens up on the rack almost immediately after tightening it up. Might need to throw a locking washer on the bolt which i havent done yet.

Only complaint about the Kuat is the locks. If you don't get them on right, and start driving, and they come undone, then they drag on the road and some guy pulls up next to you at the light in BV at 12am laughing and says you been dragging that lock for the last 50 miles. Of course Kuat replaced it for free. But still a WTF design fail that the lock can drag on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    Edit: Just passed one in the school drop off line. Still covered in plastic shit. Plastic wheel trays, plastic buttons, plastic knobs, plastic hold down arms, and those little pieces of plastic glued to the bottom of the wheel straps, (just why?) I get it, they look cool and they matchy matchy your Crosstrek.
    Kuat makes a cheap one that's plastic-y. The ones that are comparable in price to 1UPs are pretty much all metal except for the rear wheel strap, the rubberized portion of the front wheel arm, and maybe a couple of plastic caps / plugs over the ends of metal components.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Only complaint about the Kuat is the locks. If you don't get them on right, and start driving, and they come undone, then they drag on the road and some guy pulls up next to you at the light in BV at 12am laughing and says you been dragging that lock for the last 50 miles. Of course Kuat replaced it for free. But still a WTF design fail that the lock can drag on the ground.
    My complaint about the locks is that you need the damn key to lock the bikes. Should just need a key to unlock but I need the key to just lock them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by rudy View Post
    My complaint about the locks is that you need the damn key to lock the bikes. Should just need a key to unlock but I need the key to just lock them as well.
    Drop a little lube into the lock. They should snap in without needing the key.

Kuat makes a cheap one that's plastic-y. The ones that are comparable in price to 1UPs are pretty much all metal except for the rear wheel strap, the rubberized portion of the front wheel arm, and maybe a couple of plastic caps / plugs over the ends of metal components.
    My original NV had plenty of plastic. None of it was problematic, other than the hook that goes over the front tire (as I mentioned above, the soft rubber costing wears itself into pieces quickly).

But the pushbutton release, the internals of the ratchet arm, the rear wheel strap, the caps that hold the cable lock, bits of the front wheel tray - - all plastic or riveted to plastic. It functioned, and Kuat warranty service is fantastic, but it's not any superior in function to Thule or Yakima.

Notwithstanding any of this, OP got a great price on that rack.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    But the pushbutton release, the internals of the ratchet arm, the rear wheel strap, the caps that hold the cable lock, bits of the front wheel tray - - all plastic or riveted to plastic. It functioned, and Kuat warranty service is fantastic, but it's not any superior in function to Thule or Yakima.
    Yeah, functionally I don't find much difference between the various tray rack brands. Only upside of Kuat is warranty and finish quality.

If I was shelling out for a new tray rack these days, it'd certainly be a 1UP (although those have some problems too). Although I'm curious about those new Inno racks that function similarly to the 1UP.

If I was shelling out for a new tray rack these days, it'd certainly be a 1UP (although those have some problems too). Although I'm curious about those new Inno racks that function similarly to the 1UP.
    Same here - if I needed a horizontal tray rack, I'd be looking at the 1UP and the many copies of that style that have recently come out. I haven't used any of the competitor ones, just an older version of the 1UP. People seem to really like the 1UP racks, though they apparently have some issues with the tooth/ track parts wearing or getting clogged with dust. I like how they only contact the bike via the tires.

My rack needs are totally met by the North Shore Racks, though they obviously have drawbacks -- no road or gravel type bikes, requires sturdy hitch, overhead clearance (garage) issues. For what I want though, and for the amount of other style racks over the years that I've damaged just by driving around on rough roads with bikes loaded -- the NSR can't be beat.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Kuat customer service is absolutely spectacular.

FYI, a good sized U lock around the middle of the rack and a Fugetaboutit chain through your bike frames is about the most bomber way that I've found to lock up bikes on my NV 2.0. Not sure why the Rack companies don't put more effort into security on these things.

And regarding 1up, one nice thing that is overlooked is the fact that you can use the trays for the hitch rack as roof racks too with a pretty minimal changeover. That's the only reason that I'm changing over, because I have a trailer that I bring sometimes and I want to mount bike on the roof then.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    And regarding 1up, one nice thing that is overlooked is the fact that you can use the trays for the hitch rack as roof racks too with a pretty minimal changeover. That's the only reason that I'm changing over, because I have a trailer that I bring sometimes and I want to mount bike on the roof then.
    Can you tell me more about this or point me to a link? I have a travel trailer that we take a fair amount and I ended up having to have both the hitch rack and the roof rack and I'd love to consolidate.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Can you tell me more about this or point me to a link? I have a travel trailer that we take a fair amount and I ended up having to have both the hitch rack and the roof rack and I'd love to consolidate.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    You can buy two roof racks and a hitch rack without trays. The roof rack trays mount to the hitch rack. If that doesn’t make sense, check out their website. I emailed with them about it and they confirmed that it is an option. Seems to not be too fiddly to do.