Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,351

    Price check - Kuat NV 2.0 4 bike rack

    I have a buddy looking to sell his Kuat NV 2.0 4 bike rack. It's used but I think it's in good shape. Any idea what I should offer him? It's hard to negotiate amongst friends.

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    6,658
    Half of best price online is typical Tgr. Add 10% for rare or 10% off. Supply chain issues I would say rare. So 60% of best online price maybe


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

    So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....


    Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

    8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

    2021/2022 (13/15)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,145
    The NV 2.0 rack is $850 retail, with another $360 for the NV 2.0 add on.
    Wholesale is about 30% off of that.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,286
    IMHO pass, in favor of a vertical hanging rack. 4-bike horizontal tray racks stick out quite far and there's just too much leverage waaaaaay out back.

    As a semi related data point, I recently sold my Kuat NV original version, 2-bike rack, in excellent shape, for $450. I bought it about 10 years ago for $451, so was happy with that. It didn't get much use because I bought a North Shore Rack shortly afterwards, and it was a far better rack.

    The Kuat wore through two rubber pad cover things on the ratchet arms, both replaced under warranty. Ended up having to use a sock over the curved arm pad thing to keep the rubber from chafing itself into pieces against a fork arch.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,351
    Vertical racks are a problem for my use case. I carry long boats on the roof along with bikes on the back and the vertical racks interfere. :-/ I wish they didn't, though. I think those are definitely superior to the platform style hitch racks.

    I ended up getting the Kuat 4 bike rack for $500.

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,286
    That's a great price for that rack. I know they come with an anti rattle wedge thing, but if there's any play in the hitch insert at all, these U bolt type clamps work great to stabilize a hitch rack:
    https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...s%2C724&sr=8-5
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Your Mom's House
    Posts
    7,633
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That's a great price for that rack. I know they come with an anti rattle wedge thing, but if there's any play in the hitch insert at all, these U bolt type clamps work great to stabilize a hitch rack:
    https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...s%2C724&sr=8-5
    Thanks Chup, my only complaint on my North Shore is the "anti wobble" system is "stick a washer into the hitch to take up space." Gonna order one of these.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,286
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Thanks Chup, my only complaint on my North Shore is the "anti wobble" system is "stick a washer into the hitch to take up space." Gonna order one of these.
    I'm actually using two of them for the contraption on my truck. One to hold the step firmly in place, one for the NSR rack into the step. I have the step there because it helps with getting into the camper, and also offsets the bike rack enough to clear the rear wall of the camper (can open the camper door and get in/out with bikes on the rack, tilted back to the third hole on the NSR).

    I wouldn't recommend using an extension plus a 6-bike rack unless you have a burly hitch. This is on a F350, so that hitch should be able to take it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,271
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That's a great price for that rack. I know they come with an anti rattle wedge thing, but if there's any play in the hitch insert at all, these U bolt type clamps work great to stabilize a hitch rack:
    https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...s%2C724&sr=8-5
    I will have an original NV 2 4-bike rack for sale for $450 if any of you eyeballs near me are interested. (Just got a new one yesterday)
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I will have an original NV 2 4-bike rack for sale for $450 if any of you eyeballs near me are interested. (Just got a new one yesterday)
    Where are you located?

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,271
    Jackhole
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,271
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm actually using two of them for the contraption on my truck. One to hold the step firmly in place, one for the NSR rack into the step. I have the step there because it helps with getting into the camper, and also offsets the bike rack enough to clear the rear wall of the camper (can open the camper door and get in/out with bikes on the rack, tilted back to the third hole on the NSR).

    I wouldn't recommend using an extension plus a 6-bike rack unless you have a burly hitch. This is on a F350, so that hitch should be able to take it.
    Where did you find that hitch extension/platform? Or is it part of the truck?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That's a great price for that rack. I know they come with an anti rattle wedge thing, but if there's any play in the hitch insert at all, these U bolt type clamps work great to stabilize a hitch rack:
    https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-5002...s%2C724&sr=8-5
    That's a good idea. I currently have a swing away adapter between the truck and the Kuat and there's a little more wobble then I like. Here it is on the new work truck.

    Jury is still out. Never thought I'd own a truck with such a small bed...

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,286
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Where did you find that hitch extension/platform? Or is it part of the truck?
    It's this one:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-...tep-97685.html

    I've had it for years. It's for a 2" hitch, but the new truck came with a 2.5" hitch. My neighbor welded a 2.5" to 2" reducer sleeve onto the step insert, so there's zero play between the step and the adapter sleeve. (I tried it first with just the reducer, not welded, and it allowed a little slop that I didn't like.)

    Reducer is like this, in case you need one - get a steel one, not aluminum:
    https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...s%2C183&sr=8-8
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    12,030
    What makes the KUATs really that much better than say an Allen 4 bike rack?
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,271
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    It's this one:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-...tep-97685.html

    I've had it for years. It's for a 2" hitch, but the new truck came with a 2.5" hitch. My neighbor welded a 2.5" to 2" reducer sleeve onto the step insert, so there's zero play between the step and the adapter sleeve. (I tried it first with just the reducer, not welded, and it allowed a little slop that I didn't like.)

    Reducer is like this, in case you need one - get a steel one, not aluminum:
    https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpowe...s%2C183&sr=8-8
    Really all I need is an extension so the tailgate doesn’t hit the camper jack mechanism when I am camping. Pretty simple, but I can’t find a short one (most are like a foot of extension).
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Down In A Hole, Up in the Sky
    Posts
    32,271
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    What makes the KUATs really that much better than say an Allen 4 bike rack?
    It’s like the difference between a Huffy and a real Bike Shop bike, IMO.
    Materials, welding quality, durability, ease of use, and a ridiculously awesome warranty program.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    What makes the KUATs really that much better than say an Allen 4 bike rack?
    When having this discussion recently a friend asked: "Have you ever seen a rusty or corroded Kuat rack?" The answer for me was "No." (I'm sure there are examples, though) I then thought of the Yakima Holdups that I've had previously - one of which was warrantied for rust and the replacement that was currently rusting on my truck.

    They are built well with intuitive designs and great materials and durable coatings. As a result they seem to last a really long time.

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,155
    Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    the truck . the new work truck.

    I'd own a truck [/IMG]
    You gonna post pics of your truck or what?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    BC to CO
    Posts
    4,145
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Really all I need is an extension so the tailgate doesn’t hit the camper jack mechanism when I am camping. Pretty simple, but I can’t find a short one (most are like a foot of extension).
    I go to eTrailer.com for al these type of parts. They have everything and their site filter/search is great. Plus they have every small part for almost every bike rack, roof rack.
    Also their customer service is great, 1000's of answers on their page. I always email them compatibility questions because I'm alway trying to buy 6 parts for $125 instead of a $300 full rack.

    https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Hit...nch_Hitch.aspx

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,351
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    You gonna post pics of your truck or what?
    Here's the whole thing. We are doing battery development and testing so this is a test truck.

    Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    LV-426
    Posts
    19,286
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Really all I need is an extension so the tailgate doesnít hit the camper jack mechanism when I am camping. Pretty simple, but I canít find a short one (most are like a foot of extension).
    Buy a foot long, cut it to the length you want, drill a new pin hole? May not even need to cut it, depending on how far you can slide it inside the hitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,798
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Really all I need is an extension so the tailgate doesn’t hit the camper jack mechanism when I am camping. Pretty simple, but I can’t find a short one (most are like a foot of extension).
    You can get extra long drop bars that'd probably accomplish what you need. Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...CURT/D-26.html

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Hell Track
    Posts
    11,798
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    What makes the KUATs really that much better than say an Allen 4 bike rack?
    Among other reasons that have already been stated, Allen doesn't make a 4 bike tray rack.

    If you want an Allen rack to hold 4 bikes, they're going to be hanging from the top tube. Which doesn't work with almost any modern mountain bike. And even if you use one of those shitty top tube adaptors, the bikes are swinging around and banging into each other. But I guess if you want to subject $20,000 worth of bikes to that so that you can save a few hundred on your rack, it'll technically work.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Montrose, CO
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Among other reasons that have already been stated, Allen doesn't make a 4 bike tray rack.

    If you want an Allen rack to hold 4 bikes, they're going to be hanging from the top tube. Which doesn't work with almost any modern mountain bike. And even if you use one of those shitty top tube adaptors, the bikes are swinging around and banging into each other. But I guess if you want to subject $20,000 worth of bikes to that so that you can save a few hundred on your rack, it'll technically work.
    Brings back memories of bike trips as a child. Top tube adapters, pulling pedals, bungee-ing towels to chainstays just to pack 4 bikes. Good times.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •