Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

'low profile' shovel/probe pack ?

Want a pack that pretty much only holds shovel and probe (perhaps skins too). slack/side country. I know of the vests but is there is a 'pack' that is super low profile that is pretty much just shovel and probe? I've seen ski patrol wear those ones that are basically made of string, but can't quite find it in searching.
    Last edited by NBABUCKS1; 04-15-2022 at 09:08 PM.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

These two are very low pro and carry just the necessities for what you seek.

https://www.backcountry.com/dakine-p...-pack-850cu-in

https://www.backcountry.com/dakine-h...IaAsx6EALw_wcB

BD Dawn Patrol. DaKine Heli or Poacher. Generally look for packs in the 10-15 liter range.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    +1 on the Pow Rider. On my back the Orotovox packs ride better than anything else I've tried.

Mystery ranch D Route. Older ones were less silly looking. Very low profile.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Mystery ranch D Route. Older ones were less silly looking. Very low profile.
    +1. Have a friend who uses one of these, from last generation. Fantastic, bomber, low profile pack perfect for sidecountry use.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Dakine is showing the Poacher vest on their website again

https://www.dakine.com/products/poacher-ras-vest

Here's the ultra light version I use. Waaay smaller than my dakine vest or even low pro packs.

It's by Ski Area Supplies out of Boulder...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scv2 (2).jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	868.4 KB 
ID:	413349

Gotta get low to duck a ropeline tho. And it's not for carrying skis.

For comparison...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scv1.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	413361
    Last edited by Djongo Unchained; 04-16-2022 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    +1. Have a friend who uses one of these, from last generation. Fantastic, bomber, low profile pack perfect for sidecountry use.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Bonus: Plastic "plate" in the top of the shoulder strap makes shoulder ski carry 4,537% better.

JA Gear for the ridge hippy look. I believe they were Dana/MR employees previously.

http://www.jagear.biz/gear/ridge-pack

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I had one of the modular packs that I gave away the last time I moved. So well built and designed to last without being overly heavy.

They have (had?) a fb page that they would update semi regularly. It was all consulting work for big brands, the most recent I saw was day packs for NF.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosthop View Post
    JA Gear for the ridge hippy look. I believe they were Dana/MR employees previously.

http://www.jagear.biz/gear/ridge-pack

I had one of the modular packs that I gave away the last time I moved. So well built and designed to last without being overly heavy.

They have (had?) a fb page that they would update semi regularly. It was all consulting work for big brands, the most recent I saw was day packs for NF.
    This interview talks about their transition to design work. It's from 2015.
    https://www.carryology.com/bags/inte...design-studio/

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Want a pack that pretty much only holds shovel and probe (perhaps skins too). slack/side country. I know of the vests but is there is a 'pack' that is super low profile that is pretty much just shovel and probe? I've seen ski patrol wear those ones that are basically made of string, but can't quite find it in searching.
    Mammut Flip is pretty minimal, and you can get the airbag version and swap out the airbag whenever you don't need it. It's my go-to bag for sidecountry.

While a minimal pack might feel nice, I'll leave you with some thoughts... might want to consider minimal first aid (stop blood loss), water, and a small puffy layer in a sidecountry kit in addition to skins. You'll want all 3 if there's someone caught. Also, imo, skins are not optional if you're in slide terrain in powder. You won't be booting uphill in thigh deep snow with an unconsolidated base very fast - even 50 feet can take 15-30 minutes or more and by then your partner is dead. Not to mention how exhausting it is, and you haven't even started digging yet.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 04-17-2022 at 01:41 AM.

+1 for a Mystery Ranch D-route. Love mine

Thanks for all the suggestions! Have some researching to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Also, imo, skins are not optional if you're in slide terrain in powder. You won't be booting uphill in thigh deep snow with an unconsolidated base very fast - even 50 feet can take 15-30 minutes or more and by then your partner is dead. Not to mention how exhausting it is, and you haven't even started digging yet.
    problem is, what if you are on in bounds fixed bindings skis? if I have AT binders i'm going to have skins.
    Last edited by NBABUCKS1; 04-17-2022 at 05:58 PM.

The pack on the left in my previous photo is a JA gear ridge pack, as referenced by Ghosthop.

And it's an early one; adopted it after a short time with the Life-Link Boundary pack.
    (The LL flip over lid and weak hip straps made it less than ideal for hauling skis any real distance. )
    I used it this March in Switzerland and it was perfect.

Not sure what shovel you have, but the G3 Spade Tech is very low profile. The blade will fit in most hydro packs and even fits in a lot of fanny packs too.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    problem is, what if you are on in bounds fixed bindings skis? if I have at binders i'm going to have skins.
    this ^^

and what if you have to carry your skis ?

I used a minimalist pack (dakine apex 30 bike pack ) on a summer glacier skiing trip where we didnt need much carrying capacity but we did have to carry skis for which a minimalist pack sucked big time

so now i pretty much always use a 40 L pack skiing even if its mostly empty
    Last edited by XXX-er; 04-17-2022 at 12:38 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Dakine is showing the Poacher vest on their website again

https://www.dakine.com/products/poacher-ras-vest
    +1 for this

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Im not sure where the resistance to a vest is - if Im doing a side country lap, or a short / low-risk tour - I usually just ski with a WhatVest. Plenty of room for snacks, skins, radio, mirror camera, goggles when walking, and a mirror 3/4 camera. I've done ~3500' of walking vert with this setup without issue.

For longer tours, I'm packing a 35L that can compress down quite a bit. But I am carrying a whole hell of a lot of repair/first aid, water, ext.

The only PITA ive found with the WhatVest is carrying a helmet - no good way to carry it, or if you have it on your back, its an extra step to take the vest off in order to transition.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

The thing that I don’t like about the minimalist things is everything is exposed to catch on things or to get pulled out in a slide. Maybe not a problem in use?

the vest thing seems cool but seems too warm. feel like most times the lower wasatch isn't that cold and adding an extra layer, as arbitrary as it may seems, is still another layer of warmth i don't want and harder to shed heat.