What ski am I: Spring touring edition

Looking for suggestions for a 100ish underfoot spring touring ski that still has a decent range into soft and variable conditions. I’d like to keep it under 1500g per ski and tend to like longer turn radiuses more than shorter ones.

Skis I have spent time on but felt I could find a better fit.
    0G 95 ’newer edition. I found the light weight and firm snow performance pretty addictive but ended up getting rid of them because they didn’t have enough range when things got punchy or loose. I also wasn’t a good enough skier to get speedy/loose on them when things weren’t firmer. I’m not a racer but like to ski fast and found learning to turn these well an enjoyable challenge.

Voile Vector. One of the older heavier 23m turn radius models. This has a decent amount of tip rocker in front of the camber and does well in mank/variable/punchy snow but get still gets tossed around a fair amount for its weight. Plus the firm snow performance leaves a bit to be desired.

Dynastar Mythic. I found this to be good in many firm and variable conditions except for they were a bit hooky when things got really manky/punchy. I didn’t love the giant sidecut plus a slightly longer length than I was used to made hop turns on 45+ degree slopes.

Skis I really like:
    0G 108. I really like the stability they have when making big turns and how the straight cut and supportive tails give them impressive firm snow performance for their width. I would put their firm snow performance on par with the vectors. I don’t mind having to muscle them around to make smaller turns when need be.

I think my ideal spring touring ski would be something between the vectors and the 108s. ~100 underfoot with decently stiff but with a bit more tip rocker than the 108s. I would probably just ski the 108s all the time, but skinning up firm snow on a ski that wide is more of a pain than a narrower ski. I think the 0G 105 is in the right direction from the 0G 108 but would ideally take those changes a bit farther to something a little narrower with a bit more tip splay.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions I know I'm overthinking it and would be fine on any of these skis but overthinking the quiver is a hobby of mine.

Vwerks mantras

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

New Ripstick Tour 104 looks very interesting. Completely different than other Ripsticks, much longer turn radius.

Dynafit Beast 98/ Free 97

Dynastar M Tour 99, same shape as mythic but stiffer and lighter

Expensive and kinda heavy, but the Black Crows Solis is stiff, straight, and big/long tip rocker. Very smooth and predictable for its size

Quote Originally Posted by Get.Kronk View Post
    Expensive and kinda heavy, but the Black Crows Solis is stiff, straight, and big/long tip rocker. Very smooth and predictable for its size
    The solis is the perfect spring touring shape. Minimal camber, long+low rocker, very long sidecut. I have a custom ski that is a Solis shape but 1300g. If a company produced a ski like that it would sell very well. The closest currently available is the BMT90, or maybe V-Werks Mantra but its a pound heavier per ski. Beast 98 is pretty close too, but a bit more sidecut and also kinda heavy.

You should look into the Volkl Rise 98 or 96. On sale right now at several vendors. If you want to go cheaper the Blaze 94's are also super cool but a little heavier than your spec. If you can find a pair the BMT94's are the ski you're looking for. You can't have mine.

I really wanted a bmt94 but caught on too late to find one my size so ended up with the Solis ($450 shipped from T-P a couple years ago). Felt the same way about the ZG95 as the OP (had the OG ones), and the Solis fixed all that. Yeah, it's too heavy, and if the Blaze 94 skis at all like the Mantra102 (i.e. the 17M stated radius doesn't come close to skiing that way) that seems like a super interesting option for a ton less money.

V werks mantra or 0G 105. Though I had a solis and loved it. Sold it just because the Corvus FB is lighter and a little surfier. A Navis freebird might be a good option though as well.

surprised no one has mentioned the raven thus far
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Ravens are too heavy, close to perfect shape though. BMTs are more refined in their construction and shape, especially for spring conditions

Loving Atomic Backland 100 for long and variable tours. Light for their size and ski shit snow pretty well. Replaced my BMT 94s and feel like they are a bit more versatile than the BMTs, in better soft snow float for me. Worth a look since they can be found for around 400 new.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    Loving Atomic Backland 100 for long and variable tours. Light for their size and ski shit snow pretty well. Replaced my BMT 94s and feel like they are a bit more versatile than the BMTs, in better soft snow float for me. Worth a look since they can be found for around 400 new.

You still got those BMTs? If so I'll buy em. I tried the Backland 100, fun in soft but struggled with edge hold. I demoed the Bentchetler 100 and Maverick 100 and they both also had a hard time on firm snow, and all 3 skis have a similar shape. Extremely maneuverable though, I imagine they would do well in weird manky or crusty snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    You still got those BMTs? If so I'll buy em. I tried the Backland 100, fun in soft but struggled with edge hold. I demoed the Bentchetler 100 and Maverick 100 and they both also had a hard time on firm snow, and all 3 skis have a similar shape. Extremely maneuverable though, I imagine they would do well in weird manky or crusty snow.
    Nope, sold them last year.

What ski am I: Spring touring edition

Okay, anyone have experience on the Hannibal 96 Carbon? Looks like a good spring ski for variable conditions

V Werks Mantras are tough to beat. Been on them for the past 4 years. Good at everything and light. Had Kastle TX98's. Very good skis but the Mantras worked better. Sold the Kastle's.

I spent my time A-B-ing these two (BMT90 177/Vipecs and BMT94 186/Tectons) skis in spring slush/corn at the resort today. I also brought a pair of M-Free 108s, but they stayed in the car for the duration.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5692.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	582.6 KB 
ID:	413566
    Findings? BMT94 deserves all the hype and then some. Absolutely great. If you can track down a second hand pair then you've found what is the best spring conditions ski I've been on. So much fun, yet skis like a more substantial ski than they ought to given their weighth. Mounted a +1. Tectons is what I had unmounted, so on they went. The 186s are a bit long for me at 175/68kg nekkid for touring, but their performance on the down might be worth the extra faff on the way up. Might try to get my hands of 176s too.

I love BMT90s too, but the 94s are just next level great. The 90s are bit more lively and gives you more of a pop out of turns. Surprisingly capable on firm snow and groomers. I thought they were as good a narrow touring ski as I could hope to get before getting on the 94s.

I prefer BMT90s to Mantra V Werks. I prefer the width of the MVWs for most conditions, but the 178s have this softer spot in the foreski/shovels that I am not sold on. BMT90s are more uniform in their flex. I keep getting the idea to pick up some new MVWs (would be my fifth pair if so), but I can't really see the need now.

Man, I've been really tempted to get the Blaze 94 for general use. It's just above 1500g, depending on length, and sounds like it's robust and can be found pretty cheap, relatively speaking.

Edit: throw some Trofeos on there and they'd be lighter than the BMT90 with Alpinists, and still be costing less than the BMT90 alone.

I don’t “need” a lighter, narrower touring ski, than my current 112/109 choices, but they would get plenty of use this time of year.
    I just found an incredible deal on a pair of 186cm Mantra V Werks (1740gms) which I know I’d love, but which are a little heavier than ideal for multi-day slog fests, which are part of how I’d justify adding to my quiver. Currently thinking I’ll order a pair of 184cm DPS Pagoda 100 Tours (1550gms) on pro-form in the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I just found an incredible deal on a pair of 186cm Mantra V Werks (1740gms) which I know I’d love, but which are a little heavier than ideal for multi-day slog fests, which are part of how I’d justify adding to my quiver.
    Oh no, then you'd have to buy some really light bindings as well to get a setup that will ski super well, and that will still be light enough for the intended use. That sounds like a terrible plan. Dentists skis here I come instead

All kidding aside, MVWs ski really well, so with a pair of light bindings the system weight will still be more than respectable imho. The ski's weight and construction will also make them ski like a more substantial skis than they are. Their ability to grip on hard surfaces is like alle VWs skis - great, though not as rigid as KWVS (more alike BMTs according to soothski and from experience).

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    I keep getting the idea to pick up some new MVWs (would be my fifth pair if so), but I can't really see the need now.
    Why so many pairs ? Different bindings ? Durability issue ?

I'm getting bored of the carbon-ish feel of my Mantra VW and Wayback 106, I picked up a pair of tx103, to replace both, probably mounted with some Trofeo to keep it light. We'll see next season.

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    (more alike BMTs according to soothski and from experience).
    Yeah I agree

Quote Originally Posted by stuntmanbo View Post
    Why so many pairs ? Different bindings ? Durability issue ?
    No not at all - they have all been great from a durability standpoint. I just flip flopp a lot on what skis to own - a dangerous mind set when I stumble across deals

I ran my last pair with Tectons, but it would be fun to try a pair with Alpinists or some even lighter ATKs. That should be a super versatile setup.

One of the pairs is also a pair of 170 skis, mounted with Meidjo telemark bindings that a friend uses. I got tired of discussing which skis she should get, she is too focused on weight imho for how well that she skis, so I just bougth a pair for her to buy at some point. Found both skis and bindings at 50% off, so just went for it. She's been on them a couple of times and loved them, in spite of the bindings snapping (known issue with a batch, I got spare parts for free to fix them).

Mines are mounted with an ATK R12 with freeride spacer, quite light, but I don't see why it wouldnt work with a Trofeo or similar.

lowdown carbon 102

the bmt 94 skis more like a 104 than an 84 for sure. beautiful flex, just soft enough to surf but stiff enough to go fast and ski shit conditions. got 200ish touring days out of mine and passed them on