Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Ugh bummer Roxtar, but good to hear you’re back on the bike.

Couldn’t resist and took a few super easy pump track laps today. Daughter told me she’d tell mom/wife if any tires left the ground. Therapeutic mentally and good for soul to get some flow after 3 weeks.

At least it’s been hot as balls so desire to go ride in these temps has been somewhat mitigated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post

Couldn’t resist and took a few super easy pump track laps today. Daughter told me she’d tell mom/wife if any tires left the ground. Therapeutic mentally and good for soul to get some flow after 3 weeks.
    Thanks.
    Biggest thing that's killing me now is loss of fitness. Unreal how difficult it is to get back after 60.
    Did a couple reasonably big but previously-no-big-deal climbs and felt like dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post

At least it’s been hot as balls so desire to go ride in these temps has been somewhat mitigated.

See if your Dr. will script a trainer. Peleton/ Ifit / Zwift, etc. It sucks in comparison to real riding, but you can bust out miles if your dedicated and the lack of trail impacts makes the cumulative impact on your body much less. My biking and skiing fitness has increased by just cranking out miles on one.

Yep been on Zwift for a week or two, first trainer ride after almost 3 weeks was probably best trainer session of my life. Just starting easy outdoor rides with my daughter (see pic thread).

Definitely recommend Roxtar the trainer route for some sanity.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    VTskibum how you healing up?

My GF needs surgery lol. Bone graft from her hip and a big plate put in her shoulder. I'm convinced that women do indeed have a much higher pain tolerance. I'd be a big baby with her injury and she's just out riding her bike almost everyday lol.

I'm still not convinced something doesn't need to be done to mine. It sure is clunking and clicking around and my ROM is still not great. I guess the actual joint seems stable though. IDK. Trying to not fuck up and entire bike season and then fuck up my whole winter.

Mine is still all fucked up. Good news/bad news, it doesn’t hurt at all, ever, while riding…usually just doing stuff overhead at the gym. But I couldn’t use a roof rack for bikes anymore, or go climbing or anything. Not sure what the next move is besides wait for the next time we meet our deductible and get another MRI.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I'm still not convinced something doesn't need to be done to mine. It sure is clunking and clicking around and my ROM is still not great. I guess the actual joint seems stable though. IDK. Trying to not fuck up and entire bike season and then fuck up my whole winter.
    Have you gone back to the ortho for a follow-up evaluation now that you're a few months into PT?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Mine is still all fucked up. Good news/bad news, it doesn’t hurt at all, ever, while riding…usually just doing stuff overhead at the gym. But I couldn’t use a roof rack for bikes anymore, or go climbing or anything. Not sure what the next move is besides wait for the next time we meet our deductible and get another MRI.
    Yours was Grade II AC separation, right? Yeah, as long as your hand stays below shoulder level those play nice. As for what to do next, surgery is almost never indicated for a Grade II, so keep doing PT, don't do anything that hurts, and 110% do not do anything overhead with a load. When you can move through full ROM without pain you can start adding very light loads. 1 lb to start (pint water bottles are perfect for this), then 2 lbs, and so on. PT every. fucking. day.

I’m at almost 3 months from my rotator cuff surgery. Getting ROM back has been a painful bitch. But it’s pretty much back to full ROM minus internal rotation behind my back. My guess is I’ll never get that back. Can’t wait to start more intense strength training in the next few weeks. It’s been a tough rehab and I’m only halfway at best.

Shoulder injury people...

Ugh, bummer about your GF Whiterroom!!

Rode 30 miles on gravel bike this afternoon and then this tonight, so I’m well ahead of schedule thankfully!!

Still have some weird dull pain now and then, but think I’ll be surfing in a few weeks and through the fall. Got lucky overall that my break was hairline after all despite some serious initial concern.

Unfortunately a riding buddy clipped a pedal and went down hard early this week, sounds like minor AC separation to me, hopefully he’s not joining the club. Month off the bike sucks in summer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Have you gone back to the ortho for a follow-up evaluation now that you're a few months into PT?

Yours was Grade II AC separation, right? Yeah, as long as your hand stays below shoulder level those play nice. As for what to do next, surgery is almost never indicated for a Grade II, so keep doing PT, don't do anything that hurts, and 110% do not do anything overhead with a load. When you can move through full ROM without pain you can start adding very light loads. 1 lb to start (pint water bottles are perfect for this), then 2 lbs, and so on. PT every. fucking. day.
    So, for me, the Grade II separation was just the icing on the cake…it happened to the same shoulder that was recovering from labrum tear surgery. So double-whammy, literally. I did see the doc, and they gave me a shot of magic juice, which helped for a bit. Now I do a bunch of specific, non-overhead exercises and stretches while working out. If no improvement in a month, I’ll go back to PT, but that would be out of pocket.
    Great reminder, I just have been doing exercises two or three days a week, I need to do them every damn day.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yes I was there like 10 days ago. Basically he had me move my arm around a bunch and was like, "Just keep doing PT". He thinks I can get to 100% in another 16 weeks. Ughh.

I may just already be overly tight naturally and the surgery, "Just makes things more tight". That is their concern. That I will end up frozen.

On the other hand at what point is all kinds of clunking/clicking and continued lack of ROM to just become my new "normal"? Is there really only one way to work on shoulders surgically? Aka they can only make em more tight?

If I was dislocating a bunch it would be a different story. They are convinced the joint is tight but every once in a while.....when at home, in the truck etc and NOT at PT.....the main joint seems to slide/clunk quite a bit.

It's like my muscles are still playing the game of trying to fight 95% of the day to artificially keep it "tight" and the 5% of the time they relax is when I feel some slipping.

The relaxed muscles thing is my problem. I’ve been on and off dislocating my right shoulder for the last 10yrs. I think it’s been about a year since my last full dislocation. There was some fuckery from a car accident this spring but don’t think it fully dislocated.

Overall I feel closer to 100% than I ever have. However over the past few months I’ve had a couple really close calls with it slipping when relaxed but have been able to “catch” it each time. Shoulders man….

That sounds like you might be getting towards surgery territory. Working out obviously helps, but if it's still slipping, there is probably a tear. Sorry, dude.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    So, for me, the Grade II separation was just the icing on the cake…it happened to the same shoulder that was recovering from labrum tear surgery. So double-whammy, literally. I did see the doc, and they gave me a shot of magic juice, which helped for a bit. Now I do a bunch of specific, non-overhead exercises and stretches while working out. If no improvement in a month, I’ll go back to PT, but that would be out of pocket.
    Great reminder, I just have been doing exercises two or three days a week, I need to do them every damn day.
    I had a grade II AC last fall and doing the exercises every single day def helped, plus stretching it out with a ski pole held behind my back (carefully). Found the internal and external rotation exercises with a band to be the most helpful, plus some stability stuff like going into a push-up position and passing objects up over my back and collecting with the opposite hand. I didn’t have the added complication of a labrum tear but was back on the bike within like 5 weeks and then started lifting upper body a lot more once it was fully healed to hopefully prevent it happening again

Now I’m dealing with two torn collateral ligaments in my fingers from a recent crash which is apparently a significantly longer recovery than the shoulder so that’s fun. Feels silly to be off the bike for 2+ months because of fingers that still work okay but also don’t want long term complications
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

^^^ That's a bummer Wes. I partially tore my TFCC like 3 summers ago and it's still not 100%. Shit takes a long time to heal.

Recently my shoulder has woken me up a couple times at night. Like it feels like it's popping or slipping a bit in my sleep. Oh well. Keep trucking with PT. I want to start riding the bike park anyway. I'm literally losing my mind.

Dumb question for all you shoulder injury vets.... Looking at your injury from the benefit of hindsight, anything you think you could / should have done to prevent it, or is it just an occupational hazzard if riding at a certain level, like ACLs and skiing? I ask this because I've generally been a giant pussy on my bike because my work mostly, and other sports endeavors (competitive beach volleyball) don't allow for major shoulder or upper extremity injuries. I guess the question is how far can you push it before it becomes a matter of when , not if.

For me I wish I’d kept up with more upper body strength training over the past few years. Used to do a fair bit but stopped going to the gym when Covid hit and never really got back into it, just focused on activities instead. Then I blew my shoulder and started lifting again after with the hope that strengthening muscles and tendons will provide more support to my joints during an impact. I’d always prefer to be outside but hoping that spending a couple days in the gym each week will pay off. Also helps for skiing since I have bad SI joint issues from my rowing days so I need to do a lot of core stabilization, glute strengthening, and stretching which you don’t fully get from just playing sports

But here I am with torn fingers and I don’t think there’s much you can do to prevent that so past a certain point I think it’s just natural hazard that comes with the territory of hurling yourself down a mountain as fast as you can surrounded by trees and rocks…

Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

My shoulder is most stable when im strong and muscular. It helps prevent crashes from fatigue, you are able to move better and quicker during a crash to protect yourself, when you do inevitably splat your joints are better held together, and probably the biggest thing IMO is that you have a lot more padding to soak up the energy from slam so that your musculature gets the trauma instead of teh stuff inside the musculature. Dense muscle is great padding (to a point until it starts weighing you down).

the other thing is making sure your body, and body parts are warmed before doing dangerous stuff. how many people get to the top of a long MTB climb, take a quick water break and then just drop in without warming up their arms, core and upper body for a few minutes? I do that way too much. Even though im sweating, my core and arms have just been mostly locked in a riding position for an hour and are fairly stiff.

Ounce of prevention and all that. May come at this from different angle, but skills work is crucial to making those moves and saves that prevent the injury to begin with. Proper cornering and jumping skills in particular, where I’d say most shit goes sideways. Also the pre-ride, re-ride, free ride is a good approach.

Totally agree on the strength work though and plan on getting to it when I’m back to 100%. Have been back to digging on my local trail system & pumptrack a bit which is a good workout in itself.

I remember watching CrossFit games a few years back (planned for the laughs of huge dudes on roadies), and ended up watching these giants bounce off the pavement like it was nothing. Compare to normal criteria they’d be carting off half the peloton if it were a bunch of roadies. Kinda exemplifies both points.

I only had a dislocation, but am certain I could have avoided it if I had better upper body strength, and kept up on mobility/flexibility. Whenever I get back on the wagon of doing pushups (or frequent sessions at the pump track), my shoulder stops popping. Whenever I slack off on upper body strength, it will pop when I rotate rearward.

I am really struggling to get the strength back. I was pretty much at the strongest I have ever been when I got injured after doing a ton of lifting over the winter, but the mechanism of my injury was almost a freak thing. Just don't ever put your arm over your head and try to stop a lateral fall even if you are only going zero mph. So dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I am really struggling to get the strength back. I was pretty much at the strongest I have ever been when I got injured after doing a ton of lifting over the winter, but the mechanism of my injury was almost a freak thing. Just don't ever put your arm over your head and try to stop a lateral fall even if you are only going zero mph. So dumb.
    Yeah, saw your whole story here before.. Sucks dude, it's so easy to get fucked up in a low speed odd angle wreck like that. Can't blame yourself, heal up soon.

Grade II, Meh
    Rotator cuff full tear with a Grade 5 AC, clavicle is basically a tree limb attached to nothing. Doc (Guttman in Taos) said definitely needed to get the RC done but the AC was my call (can't do them together because PT is opposite for each). He said he rarely does ACs, even grade 5s.
    After the big suck of getting the RC done, doing the AC isn't even on the menu
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    He said he rarely does ACs, even grade 5s.
    There's new fixation tech for ACs now: https://www.zimmerbiomet.com/en/prod...nt-repair.html

A buddy Grade 4'ed himself last summer and the ZipTight repair has worked out extremely well for him.

Question for the collective. While I have torn both rotator cuffs over the years, I'm dealing with something new.

I got in a ski accident back in February (thanks gaper who skied into me!) and since then I have been dealing with shoulder pain that's different than any I've had before. It mostly hurts when I push out (think pushups) and I can handle over head lifting now. Went to an ortho months ago and he said it was an AC joint sprain and take it easy for a couple months.

I've done that, but it still hurts going on 6 months. Have not been back to ortho but maybe I need to go back. Is there any PT that will help with this?