Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Shoulder injury people...

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    Question for the collective. While I have torn both rotator cuffs over the years, I'm dealing with something new.

I got in a ski accident back in February (thanks gaper who skied into me!) and since then I have been dealing with shoulder pain that's different than any I've had before. It mostly hurts when I push out (think pushups) and I can handle over head lifting now. Went to an ortho months ago and he said it was an AC joint sprain and take it easy for a couple months.

I've done that, but it still hurts going on 6 months. Have not been back to ortho but maybe I need to go back. Is there any PT that will help with this?
    There’s a lot going on in there, I’d see a PT rather than the ortho. The short head of the biceps also attaches in there at the coricoid process which is right under the AC and can cause issues that don’t necessarily present as chief complaints of the biceps but rather the anterior shoulder. I’ve had this issue for a while.

A Pt should be able to put you through functional tests as opposed to an ortho who in my experience just pokes around a little and decides you either need surgery or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's new fixation tech for ACs now: https://www.zimmerbiomet.com/en/prod...nt-repair.html

A buddy Grade 4'ed himself last summer and the ZipTight repair has worked out extremely well for him.
    How long was his rehab?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So my insurance has deemed that PT is "not medically necessary" lol wtf? Any chance fighting this? My surgeon specifically told me to keep doing PT twice a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So my insurance has deemed that PT is "not medically necessary" lol wtf? Any chance fighting this? My surgeon specifically told me to keep doing PT twice a week.
    You need your surgeon to fight this battle for you. His/her office needs to call your insurance and give them the hard sell.

Ugh that blows and hopefully you can get someone from surgeon to fight for you as mentioned!

Had a follow-up appt for mine, which I’ve probably been pushing a bit harder than I should. Still can see break very slightly, probably another 6 weeks to 100% healed, but no PT. Dr had me schedule a follow-up appointment but told me to cancel unless I’m still having pain. Supposed to go surfing next week, so that’ll be the real test!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roxtar View Post
    How long was his rehab?
    Good question. Probably 3-4 months to get back to 100% as that's the minimum for the ligaments to heal. I didn't see him that much during recovery and knowing the guy I'm sure he did less PT than he was supposed to. He also had some other medical issues around the same time that kept him off his bike for a while. I do know that he got a ton of immediate pain/symptom relief from the surgery, spent almost no time in a sling, and has no complaints at all today.

While this is obviously insurance BS, worst case you can get a good HEP and be little if any worse off. Shoulder rehab is almost all the same shit. I got assigned nearly identical programs from different PTs for a clavicle fx rehab and AC separation rehab.

Did you exhaust your allotment? I know that they only authorized a number of treatments for mine. I was able to return to the doc and have him re-submit a request for more. Kinda like getting a prescription refilled.

Also, HOLY FUCKING SHIT, just find a doctor who will get that goddamned thing fixed. You've already wasted an entire "shoulder" season and we're quickly approaching another. Do you really wanna suffer through another season feeling broken?

I guess BCBSofMT is going kooky with denying LOTS of claims the last couple months. They are trying to really make the biggest profits they can this year. Heard recently of someone with strange extremity weakness/numbness and they have been denied all testing. Fucking shitty.

Myself and one business I know of is jumping ship and getting all new insurance next year because BCBSofMT has decided to be totally mental now.

Over the last week I feel almost like I can ride normally. A little extra tight on left handed turns. Strength is coming back though. After a ride though it's still very "crunchy" and sore. I'm not yet convinced "fixing" it aka making it tighter is the solution, but I haven't crashed on it yet....

How long are you going to keep telling yourself you are healing when you actually are not?
    Dude get it fixed. If not we’ll be still having this same discussion a year from now.

From what you’ve posted, you’ve had nothing but “Bozeman Clowncare” so far with these docs. I’m really surprised you haven’t gone full Karen on them regarding their horrible healthcare. You’re getting nothing but run arounds after following this story. Take the reigns and make a stink!

Just want to see you get better. Between long Covid bullshit and your shoulder, you deserve a break from the crap.

Sitting at home about 24 hours post op. Dr found partial bicep tear and I think went ahead with a tenodesis procedure. He also cleaned up some scruffiness with my rotator cuff.

I made a mistake and got behind on pain meds as the nerve block wore off and it was pretty rough for about 4 hours . Would not recommend.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I think it's pretty common for insurance companies to do that. I was approved for something like 16 PT appointments after my ACL replacement. After about 12 of them insurance cut me off because I wasn't reporting sufficient levels of "pain" in the little survey I had to fill out at the end of each appt. Motherfuckers, ACL rehab is about regaining strength and range of motion not reducing pain. Couldn't get them to reverse that decision so PT set me up with exercises to keep me going.

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycha View Post
    Sitting at home about 24 hours post op. Dr found partial bicep tear and I think went ahead with a tenodesis procedure. He also cleaned up some scruffiness with my rotator cuff.

I made a mistake and got behind on pain meds as the nerve block wore off and it was pretty rough for about 4 hours . Would not recommend.

I had a similar thing happen to me. But for me it was oxy wasn’t really working for me and I had switch to hydrocodone (my Dad had experienced a similar issue which gave me the idea) The time it took for the next round to kick in was really tough, like felt like I might puke due to pain for a few hours.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I had a similar thing happen to me. But for me it was oxy wasn’t really working for me and I had switch to hydrocodone (my Dad had experienced a similar issue which gave me the idea) The time it took for the next round to kick in was really tough, like felt like I might puke due to pain for a few hours.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Good input. I upped my intake for the last couple of rounds and am much better. I think most of it was just not being in front of it.

I hear you on the puking front. Almost passed out and broke out in crazy dripping sweat for a period.

In the waiting area while my GF gets the plate put in to get her acromion to heal. Gonna be like 2-3 hours. Taking a bone graft from her hip. She's gonna be um....sore.

In the waiting area while my GF gets the plate put in to get her acromion to heal. Gonna be like 2-3 hours. Taking a bone graft from her hip. She's gonna be um....sore.
    I haven't read this whole thread yet but I broke my acromion and separated the AC joint in a bike crash 3 weeks ago (among other injuries). Surgery Monday to get a plate put in to put the acromion back together. How'd it go for your GF? I hope she's feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by WMD View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread yet but I broke my acromion and separated the AC joint in a bike crash 3 weeks ago (among other injuries). Surgery Monday to get a plate put in to put the acromion back together. How'd it go for your GF? I hope she's feeling better.
    Shes about 12 days out now I think. She is tough as hell. Surgery was pretty big. 3 or 4 ACLs/rotator cuffs were in and out of surgery while I waited for her. It was longer than expected. She has like an 6-7" incision on the back of her shoulder. All in all the hip ended up being the most painful. First 3 nights were pretty rough but she was only taking 5-10mg oxy every 4ish hours. She's still limping a bit and has some upper thigh numbness. The shoulder already feels better than it did for the 5 months it was broken though.

Shes about 12 days out now I think. She is tough as hell. Surgery was pretty big. 3 or 4 ACLs/rotator cuffs were in and out of surgery while I waited for her. It was longer than expected. She has like an 6-7" incision on the back of her shoulder. All in all the hip ended up being the most painful. First 3 nights were pretty rough but she was only taking 5-10mg oxy every 4ish hours. She's still limping a bit and has some upper thigh numbness. The shoulder already feels better than it did for the 5 months it was broken though.
    Oh man, sounds rough but she does seem tough. I'm glad her shoulder is feeling better than it has in months. Wish her the best please.

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping I won't need the bone graft (hasn't been mentioned) so hope to avoid the worst of that. I guess I'll find out when I wake up from surgery tomorrow what all they did and what my recovery looks like.

Oh man, sounds rough but she does seem tough. I'm glad her shoulder is feeling better than it has in months. Wish her the best please.

Thanks for the update. I'm hoping I won't need the bone graft (hasn't been mentioned) so hope to avoid the worst of that. I guess I'll find out when I wake up from surgery tomorrow what all they did and what my recovery looks like.
    I'm thinking you would know already if you needed the bone graft. Her acromion was was broken all the way through and displaced like 2-3cm or something crazy. Hopefully your surgery goes smoothly!!

I'm thinking you would know already if you needed the bone graft. Her acromion was was broken all the way through and displaced like 2-3cm or something crazy. Hopefully your surgery goes smoothly!!
    Surgery went well and I'm at home beginning recovery. I have a pretty good sized incision (I haven't been able to see it yet) and a plate with screws in my shoulder. No bone graft for me. They didn't do a nerve block but instead injected lidocaine into the area. No idea how long that will last but minimal pain so far. I'm expecting that (pain) to ramp up a lot in the next 12-24 hours, but hopefully it won't be too bad.

Best wishes for rapid healing to all the shoulder gimps out here!

Stay ahead of that pain WMD. You don’t want to be playing catch up when it wears off.

Quote Originally Posted by motopsycha View Post
    Stay ahead of that pain WMD. You don’t want to be playing catch up when it wears off.

Yeah. Last surgery to repair a broken collarbone I didn’t realize how much the blocker was doing, and I decided to just go on Tylenol and Advil following surgery. Day after surgery was rough, day two was fine.

In my defense, I had only needed the Tylenol and Advil after getting some hardware out previously, and I hate the felling of the strong meds.

Getting the collarbone hardware out again next week, so I get another try at the pain management thing. Thinking of Opioids for 24 hrs to give time for the blocker to wear off, then move to Advil and Tylenol only if pain seems pretty low.

Thanks for the reminders moto and DeJong. I think all my surgical meds have worn off and I'm still doing ok. I took one Oxy to get through the night but otherwise only OTC meds and the pain isn't too bad. Yet.

Doc told me 6 week recovery which was faster than I expected. Skiing at Thanksgiving? Probably wishful thinking but still something to shoot for to keep me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Yeah. Last surgery to repair a broken collarbone I didn’t realize how much the blocker was doing, and I decided to just go on Tylenol and Advil following surgery. Day after surgery was rough, day two was fine.

In my defense, I had only needed the Tylenol and Advil after getting some hardware out previously, and I hate the felling of the strong meds.

Getting the collarbone hardware out again next week, so I get another try at the pain management thing. Thinking of Opioids for 24 hrs to give time for the blocker to wear off, then move to Advil and Tylenol only if pain seems pretty low.
    Hope your surgery goes well and the pain isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post

Getting the collarbone hardware out again next week...
    Club clav! Removed mine on 9/28. Missing the MTB but asked for this timing to permit most of the ski season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220928_121720_001.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	429579

I think all my surgical meds have worn off and I'm still doing ok.
    Good luck man, sounds like you're on track

Had rotator cuff surgery last March and the suck is finally ending; been back riding for a couple months now.
    Spent a week in Fruita with no limits. Went down on the shoulder pretty hard on Gunny with no ill effects. That's with the grade 5 AC separation left as is.
    At 62, you can't ask for more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.