Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    The wave model adds compression to the mix. Highly recommended. If you don’t want the compression aspect I recommend just using actual ice as it’ll be colder than any machine will. These ice machines don’t get nearly as cold as actual ice in a bag. They are able to be used more constantly, which is nice the first 3-4 days. There are proven healing benefits of compression mixed with cold. If your insurance will cover it a game ready rental is the best option.
    ]
    an OR nurse lent me her cryo cuff for the ACL surgery and I only used it once cuz I didnt find it very cold, ice packs were colder

I did kinda wonder if i was doing something wrong
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    an OR nurse lent me her cryo cuff for the ACL surgery and I only used it once cuz I didnt find it very cold, ice packs were colder

I did kinda wonder if i was doing something wrong
    Nope, it’s not all that. But it’s a bit better than nothing.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    So a bunch of -12*F gel packs would be better? I've only heard people talk about the ice machines like they were the greatest thing on the planet until this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So a bunch of -12*F gel packs would be better? I've only heard people talk about the ice machines like they were the greatest thing on the planet until this thread.
    It was a game changer for my wife. I also used it and other than being tethered, it was better than gel packs in every conceivable way. The fact that it's not as cold is a good thing, because as mentioned, you can leave it on for longer and you're not applying/removing/swapping leaky gel packs all day.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

In regards to something like the Gameready or similar, the cryocuff is inferior. Compared to just ice packs, it’s definitely better. If only they could make an affordable to own product that was close to Gamerrady functionality with a Cryocuff-ish price point. But now we’re are just talking fantasy
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I'm pretty sure if I thot it was worth using the ice machine I would have cuz I had put away bags of ice in the freezer but it was just dissapointing, the sealed ice packs were OK not that wet/messy, I don't remember using all that much Ice and I was off the opiates in 6 days so maybe i just didnt hurt enough but ymmv
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

For my knee I just use Ice blankets and Ace wraps for compression. I had an ice machine once that was effective though. You need to keep it FULL OF ICE all the time, and recyle the water frquently.

For a shoulder, it's an awkward place to ice, the ice machine will definitely be your friend. It can possibly get some compression to it too which for a shoulder, is impossible without it.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I had a Gameready for my first shoulder surgery. It was awesome. I slept with it on the first couple of nights and it just did it’s thing with cycles of icing and compression.

For some reason it was not offered after my second and I got a donjoy iceman instead. It was marginally better than managing ice packs but I missed the Gameready.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I’ve been using my berg polar care wave daily since surgery. First 3 days it was on my shoulder 24/7 except to go the bathroom. Was off the dope after 4 days. Also got a bad case of COVID 3 days out of surgery. The compression benefits of the wave are huge. The machines that don’t have compression aren’t really that great IMO. I have an HSA that is fat so it was a no brained to buy it. Game ready is way better but the berg is cheaper than renting. Also the shoulder is a pain in the ass to ice. The special attachments make a big difference. Don’t expect it to get cold enough to numb your shoulder but you can leave it on continuously for the first 72hours, which helps with swelling as does the compression. I highly recommended the 48 hour nerve block option. And make sure to time the transition from nerve block to pain killers properly. Wish I would’ve done the 48 hour block where they leave some sort of tube in you. 2 weeks out tomorrow. No pain except with weird movements. However I do feel vulnerable as you can sense how weak the shoulder is.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Original surgeon's office just called and moved up surgery from June 7th to May 26th.......but some people still saying to go with the second surgeon I am seeing tomorrow AM in the office. Fuck this is torture.

Hindsight 2020: Should have just camped in SLC for a few days and gotten the ball rolling down there. Total insanity to wait 2 months with a big chunk of my shoulder socket just broken off loose in there.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I’ve been using my berg polar care wave daily since surgery. First 3 days it was on my shoulder 24/7 except to go the bathroom. Was off the dope after 4 days. Also got a bad case of COVID 3 days out of surgery. The compression benefits of the wave are huge. The machines that don’t have compression aren’t really that great IMO. I have an HSA that is fat so it was a no brained to buy it. Game ready is way better but the berg is cheaper than renting. Also the shoulder is a pain in the ass to ice. The special attachments make a big difference. Don’t expect it to get cold enough to numb your shoulder but you can leave it on continuously for the first 72hours, which helps with swelling as does the compression. I highly recommended the 48 hour nerve block option. And make sure to time the transition from nerve block to pain killers properly. Wish I would’ve done the 48 hour block where they leave some sort of tube in you. 2 weeks out tomorrow. No pain except with weird movements. However I do feel vulnerable as you can sense how weak the shoulder is.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Thanks alta. My shoulder is barely in the socket as it is. I can feel the humerus sliding in and out of the socket if I move my shoulder hardly at all. It's making me nuts....and hurts.

The good ones are great, the OK ones aren't worth the money.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Original surgeon's office just called and moved up surgery from June 7th to May 26th.......but some people still saying to go with the second surgeon I am seeing tomorrow AM in the office. Fuck this is torture.

Hindsight 2020: Should have just camped in SLC for a few days and gotten the ball rolling down there. Total insanity to wait 2 months with a big chunk of my shoulder socket just broken off loose in there.

Thanks alta. My shoulder is barely in the socket as it is. I can feel the humerus sliding in and out of the socket if I move my shoulder hardly at all. It's making me nuts....and hurts.
    Since your shoulder is moving in and out of socket I wouldn’t use compression on your shoulder until after surgery. Also double check with surgeon that compression is fine. I didn’t have any bone damage so my case is totally different and surgeon was fine with compression starting day 1. I’m sure the waiting game is getting very annoying, but I’d go to the better of the 2 surgeons even if it might affect timing.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills now. The second surgeon thinks I shouldn't get cut. It's been too long since the accident and he doesn't like my range of motion right now. Yes, there is a greater increase of dislocation. Based on how easily it dislocated the first time PLUS I am missing part of the socket bone now I don't see a world where this won't dislocated again the next time I crash. IDK. I feel like I would be riding/racing timidly from now on. It dislocated and broke on basically the mellowest crash I have had in a while. If I had better range of motion and was adamant about getting it fixed he has an opening for surgery this Friday.

I feel like i've wasted the past 6 weeks. My gut is telling me to fix it. The first surgeon wants to fix it now. The second surgeon said he has a pro skier from the area who has almost the same injury and opted to not fix it and finished out the ski season with no problem.

UGHHHHHH

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills now. The second surgeon thinks I shouldn't get cut. It's been too long since the accident and he doesn't like my range of motion right now. Yes, there is a greater increase of dislocation. Based on how easily it dislocated the first time PLUS I am missing part of the socket bone now I don't see a world where this won't dislocated again the next time I crash. IDK. I feel like I would be riding/racing timidly from now on. It dislocated and broke on basically the mellowest crash I have had in a while. If I had better range of motion and was adamant about getting it fixed he has an opening for surgery this Friday.

I feel like i've wasted the past 6 weeks. My gut is telling me to fix it. The first surgeon wants to fix it now. The second surgeon said he has a pro skier from the area who has almost the same injury and opted to not fix it and finished out the ski season with no problem.

UGHHHHHH
    Fixing it could cause more harm than good. Exposure of the shoulder joint, likely if fixing the fracture, is not a minor surgery. I don’t think I would want a glenoid fx fixed arthroscopically. Sure you can fix the labral tear with a scope but getting the bone fragment reduced correctly would be iffy.

Fwiw, I had a posterior glenoid fx and opted not to get it fixed. It was about a third of the socket and a couple mm displaced. Just a little clunking with certain motions. The shoulder will heel up and scar pretty well allowing stability.

To some orthopedic surgeons everything looks like a nail when they’ve got a hammer

Maybe a trip to a SLC surgeon is in order. Bozeman sounds like a shit show.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Maybe a trip to a SLC surgeon is in order. Bozeman sounds like a shit show.
    Called Univ of UT ortho to try to talk to Chalmers. Even though my Blue Cross acct website said I was covered in UT according to the lady on the phone at the U I am not covered anywhere but in Montana. I kinda think that's BS. I do everything in my power to avoid actually calling the insurance company but I think I have no choice now.

I’ve yet to meet a lady over the phone know what she’s talking about in regards to insurance coverage from a clinic.

Always call your insurance agent. Good luck man. You should be in PT right now, not still calling people.

Well 24 hours out of the sling. Pretty good ROM in my opinion besides upwards/overhead. Can get my hand up to about head height. Intentionally trying to use my arm driving, etc. Been carrying things with that arm the whole time I was in the sling too being stubborn. Not a whole lot of pain just sitting here typing if my laptop is down lower on my lap. Up on a desk it doesn't feel great. Sleeping felt fine if I kept my hand/arm close to my chest. Did something at some point this AM half asleep and the shoulder felt almost like it dislocated for a half a second.

Fun with the lady friend = my arm felt like it was clicking/popping in an out of the socket.

My instinct is to get this fucking thing fixed. I know no doctor will just advise me over the phone. Have to do appt etc. 1 week to surgery. Not sure how I can get a 3rd opinion in this short of a period of time unless some ortho is willing to give me one "off the record".

Kind of backed off the egde a bit. Back into PT. Feels good out of the sling. As it loosens up/strengthens in next 2-3 weeks we will reassess need for surgery. Will be a mental hurdle getting back on the bike if it continues to improve. My muscles are still guarding the joint and fighting movement. Specifically overhead as that is the hardest motion for me now. Doc warns to not try overhead and to the side as that's the weakest place.

Went from "Doc #1: 100% you need surgery and no riding until Sept/October" to "Doc #2: You could be on the bike in 3 weeks." Glad I have a really good PT who also races bikes and has had his own shoulder repaired.

So thanks to Maggots two additional surgeons took a look at my reports. That makes 3 out of 4 surgeons that said, "100% need surgery."

I've been out of the sling 2+ weeks now and doing PT. The shoulder feels pretty good, pain is starting to improve. ROM is getting better but still limited overhead. There is still quite a bit of guarding going on. When I'm at PT I have a very hard time giving control over and allowing the muscles to relax so the PT can move the shoulder/arm to increase ROM. When I am relaxed at home, specifically on the trainer bike, I can feel quite a bit of instability. I can get into the drops and can put weight on my arms and ride out of the saddle with almost no pain, but the shoulder feels wobbly and I can definitely feel the joint moving.

I finally got my MTB back from CO where it was stored after my wreck and I can pedal it around in my parking lot.

I see why people attempt to forego surgery. I have turned down some remodel/handyman work from clients that I sure could use the income from. I was about to take on some painting jobs as an IC since I know a guy who has too much work right now.

On the other hand I don't really see how I could ever really MTB hard let alone race with this shoulder right now.

I'm glad to hear you're coming around to surgery. I can't imagine not having mine and being constantly limited in my activities let alone risking significant further injury due to the inherent instability. I know of folks who are fine not being able to fish, golf, or ride aggressively again. If that's you, more power to you. It wasn't a road I was willing to go down and I'm glad I didn't.

Surgeon still thinks my shoulder is too stiff to entertain surgery now. Wants me to keep doing heavy PT and even get on the bike "later this summer".

He might be right. It just feels to me like I will waste all summer doing PT, still have a fucked up shoulder in the Fall, finally get surgery in November and then wreck my entire ski season too. Ughhhh.

This thread’s a little old, but had quite a few participants…

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...oulder-surgery

I was a few years younger than you are now when I had mine shoulder done but nobody ever said my age was a factor.

This was, by far, my easiest “reconstruction” surgery. Subsequently had ACL recon and then Tibial Plateau recon (same knee) in the following 15 years.
    Because rich has nothing to do with money.

Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    This thread’s a little old, but had quite a few participants…

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...oulder-surgery

I was a few years younger than you are now when I had mine shoulder done but nobody ever said my age was a factor.

This was, by far, my easiest “reconstruction” surgery. Subsequently had ACL recon and then Tibial Plateau recon (same knee) in the following 15 years.
    Thanks. Read that whole thread. I'm still so conflicted. Just gonna keep focusing on PT now. Maybe just maybe I won't need surgery. Just so many tales of people with "only" labrum tears that needed surgery. With my labrum tear and missing part of the lower socket I don't see how I'll never not dislocate again. I picture myself crashing MTB and intentionally lawn darting because I don't want to hurt my arm.....so I'll just hurt my head instead. Fuck.

Surgeon still thinks my shoulder is too stiff to entertain surgery now. Wants me to keep doing heavy PT and even get on the bike "later this summer".

He might be right. It just feels to me like I will waste all summer doing PT, still have a fucked up shoulder in the Fall, finally get surgery in November and then wreck my entire ski season too. Ughhhh.
    It sucks but patience is key